Best textbook for learning quantum mechanics?

In summary, the person is looking for a textbook for self-learning quantum mechanics in preparation for a potential graduate course or research in the field. They prefer a challenging book that explains concepts well and covers the necessary math. Suggestions include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by Griffiths, "Quantum Mechanics" by Cohen-Tannoudji, Diu, and Laloë, and "Quantum Mechanics: An Introduction" by Greiner. The person also recommends "A Modern Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by Townsend as a good preparation for a graduate course.
unsung-hero
I am looking for a textbook for learning quantum mechanics.

So, i have never had a course in quantum mechanics(currently in a class called modern physics where they introduce us to modern physics topics, but no qm classes)

So, I was looking for book for self learning. I might take graduate course on QM afterwards or might want to do research in the field.(i know this is a bit much for someone who hasn't taken a class yet,) but if i choose to do those things i want to do really well.

So, which book is best for self learning. if the book reviewed/went over the necessary math as well, that would be really helpfull. Again, i am preety much trying to complete undergrad level by myself(perhaps even a bit more).
With all the resources online(mit ocw for example) i think i can do it.

So challenging is good. But challenging in a sense that the problems are difficult. NOT if it is challenging
because it expects me to have prior knowledge and i don't have it. Not that kind of challenging.So, basiclly, book that is tough but explains things really well. WIll give me very good understanding of topics. prepare me for a graduate level class really really well.

Any you can think of?

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes pinball1970
I think that "A Modern Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by Townsend,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1891389785/?tag=pfamazon01-20

is good preparation for a graduate quantum mechanics class, probably better preparation than Griffiths.

Related to Best textbook for learning quantum mechanics?

1. What is the best textbook for learning quantum mechanics?

The best textbook for learning quantum mechanics will vary depending on the individual's level of understanding and learning style. Some popular options include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Quantum Mechanics: Principles and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili, and "Quantum Physics" by Stephen Gasiorowicz.

2. What are the key concepts covered in a quantum mechanics textbook?

A quantum mechanics textbook typically covers topics such as wave-particle duality, the Schrödinger equation, quantum states and operators, the uncertainty principle, and the principles of superposition and entanglement.

3. Do I need a strong background in math to understand quantum mechanics?

Yes, a strong understanding of mathematics is necessary to comprehend quantum mechanics. Topics such as linear algebra, differential equations, and complex numbers are essential in understanding the mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics.

4. Are there any online resources or supplemental materials that can aid in understanding quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are many online resources and supplemental materials available such as video lectures, online courses, and interactive simulations. Some textbooks also come with online resources such as practice problems and interactive quizzes.

5. Is it necessary to have a physical copy of a quantum mechanics textbook, or can I use an e-book version?

It is a matter of personal preference whether to use a physical copy or an e-book version of a quantum mechanics textbook. Both options offer the same content, but some may find it easier to navigate and annotate a physical copy, while others may prefer the convenience and portability of an e-book.