Best Way to Learn Pure Math

In summary: It's a GCD, right?In summary, the book "A Concise Introduction to Pure Mathematics" by Martin Liebeck is a difficult read for someone with no prior experience in mathematics. The first chapter or so introduces definitions and basic ideas, but quickly moves onto problems that are difficult for the reader to solve. Chapter 1 of the book is only a taste of what is to come, and the rest of the book is devoted to proofs. This is a difficult subject to learn for someone who is not already familiar with mathematics. I would recommend starting with a book on geometry or number theory before diving into pure mathematics.
NoahsArk
Gold Member
I've wanted to learn pure math for a while. I bought the book "A Concise Introduction to Pure Mathematics by Martin Liebeck." The first chapter or so misled me into thinking that finishing the rest of the book would be doable. Chapter 1 gets into definitions of sets and related vocabulary and basic ideas like if then statements. It very quickly gets into problems like proving ## \sqrt 3 ## is irrational. Even the chapter on decimals is difficult for me.

Is there a better way to learn pure math- like through another book or online course? Other than pure math, the furthest I've gotten to in math is some calculus, and it was mostly from self-study. I'm rusty in most of the math that I do know since I haven't studied it in a while, but my understanding is that pure math is kind of a standalone subject and more related to logic. If there is anything I do need to brush up on or learn before studying pure math please let me know. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Pure math is a huge range of subjects. All it means is you develop theorems from axioms, and prove things.

I took a look at the book and it moves pretty fast. For your first introduction to proofs, it starts off with some hijinky stuff. Proving every real numberhas a decimal expansion is mind bending because it's so obvious, why would you even need to prove it? Which makes it hard to see what the point is.

You might be better served by doing a book on geometry or just number theory first, to get the pattern down of what a proof looks like and how to know when you've actually solved a problem, and then revisit this book. Or ask lots of questions here.

Likes Klystron, jedishrfu and fresh_42
I appreciate your response! I will look into number theory and brush up more on geometry first. Thanks

Likes jedishrfu
NoahsArk said:
I appreciate your response! I will look into number theory and brush up more on geometry first. Thanks
Don't hesitate to use our - in this case - precalculus homework forum and ask what you need to understand:
https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/precalculus-mathematics-homework-help.155/
... and show some of your efforts or thoughts. This is required there.

Number theory can become quickly tricky, depending on where you enter and what you consider. I would suggest trying to prove Bézout's lemma. It says that given any two integers ##a## and ##b## you can find other integers ##n,m## such that ##a\cdot n +b \cdot m= \operatorname{gcd}(a,b)## the greatest common divisor of ##a## and ##b.## All you need is the Euclidean algorithm for that. The Euclidean algorithm is the sophisticated word for division: Given two integers ##N## and ##D## there is are integers ##q## and ##r## such that ##N=q\cdot D +r.## It means: ##D## fits ##q## times into ##N## leaving a remainder ##r## that is smaller than ##D.## (Of course. Otherwise, we could set ##q## one higher and take then the remainder.) Formally we require ##0\leq r< D.##

Hint for Bézout's lemma. Set ##N=a## and ##D=b##. Then write ##a=q_1\cdot b +r_1## with ##0\leq r_1<b.## If ##r_1=0## then stop. Otherwise, write ##b=q_2\cdot r_1+r_2## and so on, until ##r_n=0## becomes zero. Why has it to end up at zero? What if you roll up this chain from the bottom back to the top?

Likes jedishrfu

1. What is the best approach for learning pure math?

The best approach for learning pure math is to start with a strong foundation in basic concepts and principles. This includes understanding number systems, algebraic operations, and geometry. From there, it is important to practice regularly and consistently, as math is a subject that requires practice to truly understand and master.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in pure math?

One of the best ways to improve problem-solving skills in pure math is to practice solving a variety of problems. This can include working on different types of equations, proofs, and real-world applications of math. It is also helpful to break down problems into smaller, more manageable steps and to seek out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in calculus to learn pure math?

While a strong foundation in calculus can certainly be helpful in learning pure math, it is not necessary. Many concepts in pure math can be understood and applied without prior knowledge of calculus. However, having a basic understanding of calculus can make certain topics in pure math, such as limits and derivatives, easier to grasp.

4. What are some effective study strategies for learning pure math?

Some effective study strategies for learning pure math include practicing regularly, seeking help from instructors or tutors when needed, breaking down difficult concepts into smaller parts, and using visual aids such as graphs and diagrams to better understand abstract concepts. It is also important to review material regularly and to actively engage with the material rather than just memorizing formulas and equations.

5. How can I stay motivated while learning pure math?

One way to stay motivated while learning pure math is to set achievable goals for yourself. This can include completing a certain number of practice problems each day or week, or aiming for a specific grade on an upcoming exam. It can also be helpful to find a study partner or join a study group to stay accountable and motivated. Additionally, taking breaks and rewarding yourself for your progress can help maintain motivation and prevent burnout.