Best way to measure non-thermal expansion of a pipe

In summary, the method of measuring pipe size using an optic fibre wrapped around the pipe is accurate down to 0.001 mm.
Jehannum
TL;DR Summary
I need a highly-accurate method of measuring the diameter or circumference expansion of a pipe undergoing pressurisation.
Ideally, the method should be accurate down to 0.01 millimetres or better.

We're probably talking pipes of up to 150 mm (6") diameter.

Accurately measuring the actual diameter of the pipe is of less importance - it's how much it expands that matters.

My idea is wrapping something around the pipe with an "emitter" and a "sensor" at opposite ends that will be pulled apart as the pipe expands. The sensor can accurately measure its separation from the emitter. The expansion will be so small it can probably be regarded as a simple linear distance.

Is there any reasonably-priced equipment that can be adapted to this purpose?

Engineering news on Phys.org
  • Informative
Likes Lnewqban, OCR, Chestermiller and 1 other person
Thanks.

I think I would have to describe the measurement as "automated". The measuring device would have to stay in exactly the same place and not be touched until the end of the test (partly down to safety reasons - i.e. exclusion zone).

As far as I understand it, a micrometer can't work this way - i.e. with a dynamically-changing measurement. It has to be manually adjusted for each measurement taken.

I'll read up on strain gauges then!

jrmichler said:
If you want to make automated measurements, look at strain gauges: https://micro-measurements.com/. Be advised that learning how to apply and use strain gauges by reading the Micro-Measurements catalog will have a loooong learning curve.

That seems to be a very informative site. . . thank you for the link. . 👍Also, did anybody notice ?

1600794448121.png

Lol, a while back, we had a small discussion about that subject. . . right here. . :wink:

Cold welding | Physics Forums

Jehannum said:
I think I would have to describe the measurement as "automated". The measuring device would have to stay in exactly the same place and not be touched until the end of the test (partly down to safety reasons - i.e. exclusion zone).
There's another way to measure changes in pipe diameter electronically. Build a fixture similar to the sketch, and use an inductive analog proximity sensor.
Prox Sensor.jpg

An inductive prox sensor sends out a voltage proportional to the distance from the end of the sensor to a metal object. Here's one that could meet your needs: https://www.omega.com/en-us/sensors...mity-sensors/iprox-series/p/E59-M12A105C02-D1.

I have used a similar sensor. In a room temperature environment, it would reliably and repeatably read to the limits of a 12 bit A/D converter. That would be about 4 mm / 4096 = 0.001 mm.

You would need to design a stiff and solidly mounted mounting bracket. You will need to consider the effects of temperature variation on the mounting bracket. If you go this way, do some experimenting by touching the mounting bracket with a finger and note just how much you move it by pushing, and by the effects of finger warming.

Big advantage is that the learning curve is much shorter than with strain gages (which I spell either way depending on my mood at the time).

Likes Jehannum and Lnewqban
jrmichler said:
There's another way to measure changes in pipe diameter electronically. Build a fixture similar to the sketch, and use an inductive analog proximity sensor.
View attachment 269905

An inductive prox sensor sends out a voltage proportional to the distance from the end of the sensor to a metal object. Here's one that could meet your needs: https://www.omega.com/en-us/sensors...mity-sensors/iprox-series/p/E59-M12A105C02-D1.

I have used a similar sensor. In a room temperature environment, it would reliably and repeatably read to the limits of a 12 bit A/D converter. That would be about 4 mm / 4096 = 0.001 mm.

You would need to design a stiff and solidly mounted mounting bracket. You will need to consider the effects of temperature variation on the mounting bracket. If you go this way, do some experimenting by touching the mounting bracket with a finger and note just how much you move it by pushing, and by the effects of finger warming.

Big advantage is that the learning curve is much shorter than with strain gages (which I spell either way depending on my mood at the time).
This is how I would do it. You could also use a digital dial indicator or linear gage.

I don't expect this will help but; winding an optic fibre around the pipe would make for very high resolution. The fibre will stretch and shrink as the pipe expands and contracts. That changes the length of the optical path. Use the optical interferometer and electronics from a Fiber Optic Gyroscope, FOG. Unless you orientate the axis carefully E-W, you will detect the continuous rotation of the Earth.

Likes MRFMengineer

1. What is non-thermal expansion of a pipe?

Non-thermal expansion of a pipe refers to the increase in size or length of a pipe due to factors other than temperature changes, such as pressure or external forces.

2. Why is it important to measure non-thermal expansion of a pipe?

Measuring non-thermal expansion of a pipe is important because it can help determine the stress and strain on the pipe, which can affect its structural integrity and performance. It is also necessary for accurate design and maintenance of piping systems.

3. What is the best method for measuring non-thermal expansion of a pipe?

The best method for measuring non-thermal expansion of a pipe is through strain gauges or displacement sensors attached to the pipe. These devices can accurately measure the change in size or length of the pipe under different conditions.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of measuring non-thermal expansion of a pipe?

Factors that can affect the accuracy of measuring non-thermal expansion of a pipe include the type of material the pipe is made of, the temperature and pressure conditions, and the location and placement of the measurement devices.

5. How often should non-thermal expansion of a pipe be measured?

The frequency of measuring non-thermal expansion of a pipe depends on the specific application and the potential risks associated with pipe expansion. In general, it is recommended to measure non-thermal expansion periodically, such as during routine maintenance checks or when there are changes in operating conditions.