Best Way to Prep For a Perfect GRE Math Section Score

In summary, the conversation revolves around getting a perfect score on the GRE math section. The individual has a degree in math and is confident they will get an above average score, but they want to know the best sources to get a perfect score. Others suggest doing lots of practice problems and using quick and dirty methods, as well as using the official GRE guide with real exams. It is mentioned that speed is important and that the test is not an IQ test, but rather a function of how much one studies. The conversation also touches on the importance of not being too cocky and the use of rigorous techniques in solving problems.
torquerotates
Ok so I have a degree in math. I'm pretty sure I'll get above average on the GRE math section. But I want to get a perfect. What are the best sources to get a perfect score? I tried reading princeton review, but they mostly give me common sense type questions. Are there any books that gives me a bunch of those headache inducing brainteasers?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you applying to math grad schools or science grad schools because I don't think either of those care about your math score unless its unusually low like 600's

Statistics. But I still want to get a perfect score since I might be tutor for gre/sat math.

Just do lots of practice problems. The first time I took it I hardly studied and got a score in the 600s. Then I spend a week doing some practice problems and got a 770. I had like 8 questions that I didn't have time to solve so I just guessed. So speed is an issue too.

Physic_UG. What source did you use? Did you skip the easy problems or did you do them all?

torquerotates said:
Physic_UG. What source did you use? Did you skip the easy problems or did you do them all?

Well, anything that didn't have an obvious solution I would actually do. The problems are easy. My issue has always been with speed. I think I use more rigorous techniques (like actually setting up algebraic equations) to solve the problems but it is probably faster to look at the solutions and try to work backwards on some of them.

This test is not an IQ test and your score is highly a function of how much you study. For a math major you could probably get an 800 after devoting around 7-8 hours or maybe less of solid studying. All of the problems are similar in the techniques used to solve them.

oh, and I think I used barrons

Physics_UG said:
This test is not an IQ test and your score is highly a function of how much you study.
If there was a multi million dollar industry behind coaching for IQ tests you would find they are a greater function of how much you study than you think

jesse73 said:
If there was a multi million dollar industry behind coaching for IQ tests you would find they are a greater function of how much you study than you think

This is probably true. Hence IQ is meaningless.

torquerotates said:
Ok so I have a degree in math. I'm pretty sure I'll get above average on the GRE math section. But I want to get a perfect.

Don't get too cocky. I had a few minutes talk with some Oxford math students when I took the subject GRE last November and one of them did really terrible the first time because the really elementary questions threw him off.

Physics_UG said:
I think I use more rigorous techniques (like actually setting up algebraic equations) to solve the problems

This is what will kill your score in my experience, both in the general and subject GRE's. Forget "honest" clean methodology, nobody is going to look at your work. Practice quick and dirty methods.

The official GRE guide has a CD with 4-5 real exams you can take either timed or without timing.

Lavabug said:
Don't get too cocky. I had a few minutes talk with some Oxford math students when I took the subject GRE last November and one of them did really terrible the first time because the really elementary questions threw him off.

This is what will kill your score in my experience, both in the general and subject GRE's. Forget "honest" clean methodology, nobody is going to look at your work. Practice quick and dirty methods.

The official GRE guide has a CD with 4-5 real exams you can take either timed or without timing.

true, but I still did well enough with a 760 on quant.

Related to Best Way to Prep For a Perfect GRE Math Section Score

1. What is the GRE math section and why is it important?

The GRE math section is one of the three sections in the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), which is a standardized test used for graduate school admissions. It assesses a test-taker's quantitative reasoning, problem-solving, and data interpretation skills. A strong score on the math section can help improve a graduate school application and increase chances of being accepted into a desired program.

2. How can I prepare for the GRE math section?

The best way to prepare for the GRE math section is to practice, practice, practice. Start by familiarizing yourself with the format and types of questions on the math section. Then, work through practice tests and review any areas where you struggle. Additionally, there are many study guides and prep courses available that can provide structure and targeted review for the math section.

3. What are some tips for achieving a perfect score on the GRE math section?

To achieve a perfect score on the GRE math section, it is important to not only have a strong grasp on math concepts, but also to have good time management and test-taking strategies. Some tips include: carefully reading and understanding each question, showing all work and double-checking calculations, using the process of elimination, and skipping difficult questions and coming back to them later if time allows.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to excel on the GRE math section?

While a strong background in math can certainly be helpful, it is not necessarily a requirement for success on the GRE math section. With enough practice and review, anyone can improve their math skills and perform well on the section. It is important to focus on understanding the concepts and strategies used on the test rather than just memorizing formulas.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when preparing for the GRE math section?

One common mistake is not allowing enough time for preparation. It is important to start studying early and consistently, rather than trying to cram all the material in a short amount of time. Another mistake is not taking advantage of available resources, such as practice tests and study guides. It is also important to not solely rely on memorization and to instead focus on understanding the concepts and strategies used on the test.