Best way to pulse a constant microcurrent square wave signal?

In summary, the conversation revolves around producing a constant 100 uA square wave DC 10Hz signal with a pulse width of 50ms. The options discussed include using an electronic timer relay or a solid state relay controlled via PWM. The individual is seeking guidance on which route to take or if there are other ways to achieve this. They also mention using Arduino or Picaxe microcontrollers and question if it would be easier to start from scratch or modify existing equipment. Further details and clarification on the purpose and specifications of the signal are requested for a better understanding of the situation.
di_rosa
I have a constant 100 uA square wave DC 10Hz signal that needs to have a pulse width of 50ms. I was reading up on using an electronic timer relay (recycle type) or a solid state relay controlled via PWM. I need some help choosing which route to take, or if there are better/easier ways to accomplish this. Just a push in the right direction would be appreciated :)

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't think you can have a constant current square wave. It has to vary to be a square wave.

Do you know how this waveform is produced? If so, do you know what voltage source powers it?

Have you used Arduino or Picaxe microcontrollers?

There are many ways to do it …
di_rosa said:
I have a constant 100 uA square wave DC 10Hz signal that needs to have a pulse width of 50ms.
If you already have it, why the question? Have you designed the current source yet?
What load will it be driving?

I am trying to pulse the output signal of a device I am working with.

Would it be easier to start from scratch versus modify the existing?

I started looking into Arduino microcontrollers recently, but not Picaxe. I'll read up.

You really need to give some more details.

We are largely guessing at what you are doing and what you want.

Some of us have limited attention spans when it comes to guessing games, so if you could explain in detail what you are trying to do and why you are doing it and do this in your next post, that would be good.

As Baluncore pointed out, a 10 Hz 50% duty cycle square wave has a period of 100 mS and a positive pulse width of 50 mS.
This is what you asked for.

1. What is a microcurrent square wave signal?

A microcurrent square wave signal is an electrical current that oscillates between two fixed levels at a high frequency, typically in the range of 0.1 to 100 Hz. It is used in various medical and scientific applications, such as pain management and tissue repair.

2. What is the best way to pulse a constant microcurrent square wave signal?

The best way to pulse a constant microcurrent square wave signal is to use a high-quality pulse generator that allows for precise control of the frequency, amplitude, and duty cycle of the signal. This will ensure that the signal is consistently delivered at the desired levels and intervals.

3. How does pulsing a microcurrent square wave signal differ from using a continuous signal?

Pulsing a microcurrent square wave signal involves delivering the signal in short bursts or pulses, with periods of rest in between. This is in contrast to using a continuous signal, which is delivered constantly at a fixed frequency and amplitude. Pulsed signals are often preferred for their ability to target specific tissues and minimize potential side effects.

4. What are the potential benefits of pulsing a microcurrent square wave signal?

Pulsing a microcurrent square wave signal has been shown to have various therapeutic benefits, including reducing pain and inflammation, promoting tissue repair and regeneration, and improving cellular communication. It may also enhance the effects of other treatments, such as medication or physical therapy.

5. Are there any safety concerns or precautions when using microcurrent square wave signals?

While microcurrent square wave signals are generally considered safe, it is important to follow proper precautions when using them. This includes ensuring that the signal is delivered at the appropriate levels and frequencies, and using proper electrode placement and hygiene to avoid skin irritation. It is also important to consult with a qualified healthcare professional before using these signals, particularly if you have any underlying medical conditions or are pregnant.