Beta decay and Heisenberg principle

In summary: I found the information I needed and solved the problem. In summary, the student attempted to solve a problem that they were not allowed to do homework for, and found the answer by using information that they found in a previous assignment.
Heimisson

Homework Statement

One could imagine that beta decay was due to a electron initially inside the nucleus and than leaving it. Proof by using Heisenberg uncertainty principle that this is not possible.

There is a hint which says you can use energy spectra and values for the energy of beta particles.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this has something to do with the energy being continuos and that the beta particles can have very different energies but I really have no idea how to proof this.

Physics news on Phys.org
the electron is too big.

This is the sort of thing that they should just tell you. Its ridiculous for them to expect you to figure it out yourself. There is much better things that you could be spending your time and energy figuring out. Either your book or your teacher or both stinks.

granpa said:
the electron is too big.

This is the sort of thing that they should just tell you. Its ridiculous for them to expect you to figure it out yourself. There is much better things that you could be spending your time and energy figuring out. Either your book or your teacher or both stinks.

Thanks for this information

Well my teacher is new and the book isn't very good. Could you explain a little better maybe. This is on a graded assignment. that I have to turn in tomorrow.

I'm not allowed to do homework for you.

I didn't really ask for that.

Ok so I solved this I think.

The only thing I needed to do was find some information on the standard devision of the intensity vs. momentum of beta particles which is gaussian and than use that in the uncertainty principle that showed me that the minimum uncertainty of x is more than two decades larger than the average nucleus. So there is a room for errors in the estimation for the uncertainty of p.

@granpa, thanks for the hint.

Related to Beta decay and Heisenberg principle

1. What is beta decay?

Beta decay is a type of radioactive decay in which a nucleus emits a beta particle (either an electron or a positron) in order to achieve a more stable state.

2. What is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa.

3. How does the Heisenberg uncertainty principle relate to beta decay?

In beta decay, the position and momentum of the beta particle are both uncertain, as it is emitted from the nucleus with a range of possible energies and directions. This is due to the fact that the exact time and location of the decay cannot be predicted.

4. Can the Heisenberg uncertainty principle be violated?

No, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and has been proven to hold true in countless experiments. It is a fundamental limit to our ability to measure certain properties of particles.

5. How does beta decay affect the stability of an atom?

Beta decay can change the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus of an atom, which can affect its stability. In some cases, beta decay can make an atom more stable by transforming a neutron into a proton or vice versa. However, in other cases, it can make an atom more unstable by producing an unstable or radioactive nucleus.