Can We Neglect Electron Binding Energies in Beta Decay Calculations?

In summary: In beta decay, the electron's kinetic energy is typically around 0.5-0.7 of the total energy released.
Cameron95
Hi, I was reading the wiki article here on beta decay and energy release: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_decay#Energy_release
In obtaining a condition on the masses of the initial and final atoms we neglected the difference in electron binding energies of the two atoms. Does this mean we compare the electron binding energies of one atom to the binding energies of the other and say the difference between the two is negligible? The article says this is small for high Z atoms, which I don't understand really understand? Later, in the section on electron capture, the article goes on to say we can no longer neglect the electron binding energy for the captured electron, which again I don't fully understand.
Sorry if I wasn't clear: I hope someone more knowledgeable than me can help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Cameron95 said:
Hi, I was reading the wiki article here on beta decay and energy release: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_decay#Energy_release
In obtaining a condition on the masses of the initial and final atoms we neglected the difference in electron binding energies of the two atoms. Does this mean we compare the electron binding energies of one atom to the binding energies of the other and say the difference between the two is negligible?
Yes.
The article says this is small for high Z atoms, which I don't understand really understand?
What don't you understand about it? Have you tried a dictionary?
Later, in the section on electron capture, the article goes on to say we can no longer neglect the electron binding energy for the captured electron, which again I don't fully understand.
Why not? What is it that you don't understand?

Try expressing what you are after as a question.

Guessing your confusion:
Oversimplifying: the energy that the electron carries with it depends on where it comes from.
In beta decay, the electron comes from the nucleus so it carries it's energy from there and not from the electronic environment of the atom, which, in any case, is typically 5-6 orders of magnitude smaller.
In electron capture, the electron being captured comes from the electronic environment, so it carries energy from there, so the electron binding energy can be expected to be important.
The bottom line in whether anything is negligible, though, is whether we can measure the difference.

Last edited:
Is antineutrino mass negligible? What about the energy? Do antineutrinos travel at c? Need to know that in order to compute electron velocity, right?

In beta decay, it is an excellent approximation to assume that the outgoing antineutrino is massless and moves at speed c.

I have never read about a case in which the mass of the antineutrino has a measurable effect in beta decay.

Likes Farang
What about the wavelength? I read that it depends on 'flavour' of neutrino / antineutrino?

Farang said:
I read
Where? It would help if you could provide some context so we don't have to try to guess what you're thinking about. :smile:

Farang said:

I get "This question does not exist or is under review."

I'm trying to calculate the velocity of electron in beta decay.

The electron does not have a fixed velocity. The energy released in the decay is distributed randomly between the (anti)neutrino and the electron (also the recoiling nucleus, but its kinetic energy is very small so we normally ignore it).

The electron's kinetic energy can range from nearly zero up to the total decay energy.

Likes Farang

1. What is beta decay?

Beta decay is a type of radioactive decay in which a nucleus releases a beta particle (either an electron or a positron) and transforms into a different element or isotope.

2. How does beta decay occur?

Beta decay occurs when a nucleus has too many or too few neutrons. In order to become more stable, the nucleus will release a beta particle to balance out the number of protons and neutrons.

3. What is the significance of the mass defect in beta decay?

The mass defect in beta decay refers to the difference in mass between the parent nucleus and the daughter nucleus after the decay has occurred. This difference in mass is converted into energy, which is released in the form of a beta particle.

4. What is the role of the weak nuclear force in beta decay?

The weak nuclear force is responsible for the transformation of a neutron into a proton or a proton into a neutron during beta decay. This force is also responsible for the release of a beta particle from the nucleus.

5. How is beta decay used in scientific research?

Beta decay is used in a variety of scientific research fields, including nuclear physics and medical imaging. Scientists can study the properties of beta particles to better understand the structure and behavior of atoms and nuclei. In medical imaging, beta decay can be used to detect and diagnose certain diseases by tracking the movement of radioactive isotopes in the body.