Beta decay of deuterium and triterium

In summary, deuterium, a stable isotope of hydrogen, cannot undergo beta decay or produce a stable nucleus because the resulting atom would consist of 2 protons and 0 neutrons, making it too unstable. In comparison, tritium can convert neutrons to protons, resulting in a stable nucleus of helium-3.
pbonnie

Homework Statement

Explain why deuterium cannot undergo beta decay or produce a stable nucleus, while tritium can.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

There was nothing in the lesson that really explained this, and the only reason I can find online is because deuterium is a stable isotope of hydrogen so it does not decay. I'm guessing that there is more to this, but I'm not sure what that would be.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider what the resulting nucleus could consist of. Tritium can convert N->P making He-3.

pbonnie said:

Homework Statement

Explain why deuterium cannot undergo beta decay or produce a stable nucleus, while tritium can.

The Attempt at a Solution

There was nothing in the lesson that really explained this, and the only reason I can find online is because deuterium is a stable isotope of hydrogen so it does not decay. I'm guessing that there is more to this, but I'm not sure what that would be.
Assuming the neutron in a deuteron did undergo beta decay, what are the resulting products? What is the combined (rest) mass of the products? How does that mass compare with the rest mass of the deuteron.

One would use a similar approach in following haruspex's suggestion.

Thank you both.
So because the resulting atom would consist of 2 protons and 0 neutrons it would be too unstable?

pbonnie said:
Thank you both.
So because the resulting atom would consist of 2 protons and 0 neutrons it would be too unstable?
As Astronuc says, you should look at the energy balance. Also, as I understand it, Beta decay is of two types; with the other type you'd get two neutrons and no protons.

What is beta decay?

Beta decay is a type of radioactive decay in which an unstable nucleus emits a beta particle (either an electron or positron) and transforms into a more stable nucleus.

What is deuterium?

Deuterium is an isotope of hydrogen that has one proton and one neutron in its nucleus, making it twice as heavy as the most common form of hydrogen which has only one proton.

What is triterium?

Triterium is an isotope of hydrogen that has one proton and two neutrons in its nucleus, making it three times as heavy as the most common form of hydrogen which has only one proton.

How does beta decay occur in deuterium and triterium?

In deuterium, beta decay can occur by either emitting a beta particle (electron) and transforming into helium-3, or by capturing an electron and transforming into tritium. In triterium, beta decay occurs by emitting a beta particle and transforming into helium-4.

What are the applications of studying beta decay of deuterium and triterium?

Studying beta decay in deuterium and triterium can help us understand the fundamental processes of nuclear decay and the behavior of subatomic particles. It also has practical applications in nuclear energy, medicine (such as in PET scans), and in dating organic materials through the process of carbon dating.