Beware of Vibrio bacteria in warm water: Gulf and Atlantic Coast areas

In summary, Bailey died from a microbe that can cause horrific pain, trigger ghastly skin infections, and kill in a matter of days. The increase in infections from toxic forms of vibrio have tripled in North Carolina and nearly doubled in South Carolina. There are variants of cholera that are less or non-toxic, and the microbe lacks the toxicity factor that makes it pathogenic to fish.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
On Oct. 13, 2017, Bailey died in the hospital, the victim of a microbe so dangerous it can inflict horrific pain, trigger ghastly skin infections and kill in a matter of days.
Bailey's death came days after he handled crabs, one which pinched his finger causing a cut. Some vibrio bacteria entered the fresh wound into the blood stream.

Since 2007, reports of illness from toxic forms of vibrio have tripled in South Carolina and nearly doubled in North Carolina, statistics show.

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article246018110.html

Annual infections from dangerous forms of vibrio have steadily risen in North Carolina, increasing from 21 to 41 cases since 2007, according to the most recent state health data. In South Carolina, the number of infections each year has jumped from 8 to 29 cases since 2007.

One doctor indicated the CDC estimated 2005, maybe about 8000 cases of vibrio infection each year across the US. Now annual estimates are about 80,000, a tenfold increase in 15 years.

https://www.cdc.gov/vibrio/index.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrio

unlike other types of harmful bacteria in coastal waters, vibrio isn’t considered common enough by state agencies to issue many specific warnings about the microbe. North Carolina’s beach water testing program, which includes monitoring water quality on 88 sounds and estuaries with beaches —where vibrio is more likely to occur — does not check for vibrio or post signs warning of the naturally occurring bacteria, program managers said.
In some cases, tourism communities don’t want signs warning people to stay out of the water because it’s bad for business. And elected officials sometimes question the reality of climate change.

• Wow
Likes ozdc, Borg, DennisN and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Are there any decent members in that entire genus or are they all pathogens?

(If I'm not mistaken, nobody's favorite plug puller, cholera, is also a vibrio.)

Cholera is a Vibrio.
There are variants of cholera that are less or non-toxic.
In Cholera, selection for non-toxicity is favored in conditions of better cleanliness because non-toxicity favors transmission in those conditions.

There are also numerous kinds of Vibrio infections fish can get, but some aquatic Vibrios are not pathogenic to fish.
Several years ago, a researcher looking at fish microbiome did a series of studies to determine what kinds of microbes were present in or on the zebrafish we had in our facility. They counted something like 16,000 to 18,000 species as I recall.
One was a Vibrio that looked a lot like Cholera. It caused a lot of excitement for a while (since we had something like 80-100 people contacting fish and fish water).
Further study determined it lacked the Cholera toxicity factor and so was not pathogenic.

1. What is Vibrio bacteria and where is it commonly found?

Vibrio bacteria is a type of bacteria that is commonly found in warm coastal waters, such as the Gulf and Atlantic Coast areas. It can also be found in brackish water, which is a mixture of fresh and salt water.

2. How does Vibrio bacteria affect humans?

Vibrio bacteria can cause illness in humans, particularly those with weakened immune systems. It can cause symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and fever. In some cases, it can also lead to more serious infections, such as skin infections or bloodstream infections.

3. How do people typically come into contact with Vibrio bacteria?

People can come into contact with Vibrio bacteria by swimming or wading in warm coastal waters, consuming raw or undercooked seafood, or having open wounds exposed to contaminated water. It is important to note that not everyone who comes into contact with Vibrio bacteria will become ill.

4. How can I protect myself from Vibrio bacteria?

To protect yourself from Vibrio bacteria, it is recommended to avoid swimming or wading in warm coastal waters if you have any open wounds or weakened immune system. It is also important to thoroughly cook seafood before consuming it and to avoid consuming raw or undercooked shellfish. If you do come into contact with contaminated water, make sure to thoroughly clean and disinfect any cuts or wounds.

5. What should I do if I think I have been exposed to Vibrio bacteria?

If you believe you have been exposed to Vibrio bacteria and are experiencing symptoms, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. Early treatment with antibiotics can help prevent more serious infections. If you have any concerns or questions, it is best to consult with a healthcare professional.

Back