Beyond the Black Hole Singularity

In summary, loop quantum gravity, a theory that extends gravitational physics beyond Einstein's theory of general relativity, is being used to study extreme cosmological and astrophysical phenomena such as black holes. This theory, which originated at Penn State and has been developed by scientists worldwide, is opening up new possibilities in modern physics. The papers referenced in the phys.org article may be available outside a paywall, with the Ashtekar et al paper found on arxiv and Rovelli's commentary possibly behind a paywall.
Kanishka Toshniwal
Our first glimpses into the physics that exist near the center of a black hole are being made possible using "loop quantum gravity"—a theory that uses quantum mechanics to extend gravitational physics beyond Einstein's theory of general relativity. Loop quantum gravity, originated at Penn State and subsequently developed by a large number of scientists worldwide, is opening up a new paradigm in modern physics. The theory has emerged as a leading candidate to analyze extreme cosmological and astrophysical phenomena in parts of the universe, like black holes, where the equations of general relativity cease to be useful.
from - https://phys.org/news/2018-12-black-hole-singularity.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you please let me know which measureable effects follow from this?
Thanks in advance.

Are the papers referenced in this phys.org article available outside a paywall? Even arXiv preprints would be helpful.

Nugatory said:
Are the papers referenced in this phys.org article available outside a paywall? Even arXiv preprints would be helpful.

I found the Ashtekar et al paper on arxiv here:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1806.00648

I have not been able to find the Rovelli paper.

Nugatory said:
Are the papers referenced in this phys.org article available outside a paywall?

PeterDonis said:
I have not been able to find the Rovelli paper.

Rovelli's commentary is at

https://physics.aps.org/articles/v11/127

I can see it, but it might be behind a paywall, as I am in my office.

George Jones said:
I can see it, but it might be behind a paywall, as I am in my office.
Works on my personal standard issue mobile.

1. What exactly is a black hole singularity?

A black hole singularity is a point in space where the gravitational pull is infinitely strong and the laws of physics, as we know them, break down. It is the center of a black hole, where all the mass and energy is concentrated into an infinitely small point.

2. Can anything escape from a black hole singularity?

No, once something crosses the event horizon of a black hole and reaches the singularity, it is impossible for it to escape. The gravitational pull is so strong that not even light can escape, which is why black holes appear black.

3. Is it possible to travel through a black hole singularity?

Currently, there is no known way to survive passing through a black hole singularity. The extreme gravitational forces and unknown conditions make it impossible for any known technology to withstand the journey.

4. What happens to time and space near a black hole singularity?

Near a black hole singularity, the gravitational pull is so strong that it causes extreme curvature of space-time. This means that time and space are distorted and move at different rates, making it difficult to predict or understand what would happen in this region.

5. Is there anything beyond a black hole singularity?

Currently, our understanding of physics breaks down at the singularity, so we cannot say for sure what exists beyond it. Some theories suggest that there may be a parallel universe or a gateway to other dimensions, but these are only speculative and have not been proven.