Bibliography in Latex, already part done manually

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of Latex for a thesis and the issue of manually formatting the bibliography. Suggestions were given to use a program like Bibtex or Jabref to convert and manage the bibliography more efficiently. The speaker also shared their own experience with converting from Word to Latex.
Czcibor
Problem:
After more than half of my thesis I was advised to use Latex. At this moment I'm learning it, so far looks doable.
However, there is a problem of bibliography... yes, mostly manually formatted as it is supposed to look like in output file... I'd like to use Bibtex... but wouldn't it mean a nightmarish converting everything line after line?

Suggestions?
a) there is some brilliant idea to convert / merge everything [please specify]
b) just finish doing bibliography manually
c) its worth to convert those pages manually to the right format to have program to do the job

Physics news on Phys.org
I reformatted from word to LateX, not as bad as it seems. Export out the word document as text. I downloaded a program to convert all of my equations to LaTeX format (just copy and past), with little issues. The bibliography is actually easy because each item is named, just substitute the name with \ref{}. Your school should have a latex format document for the correct format.

I use jabref to create bibliographies. It is a very time-saving tool. There is a jabref plugin for firefox. When I see an interesting paper on elsevier or springer, I click the 'export bibliography' icon and all data will be automatically added to the jabref database. In the jabref program (a simple java database viewer/editor) I can see and edit the bibliography data and export to a number of formats.

in your case, I would install the jabref plugin, go to sciencedirect, type in some keywords describing your topic, click on everything that looks familiar and export the data. You will probably have 50% of your bibliography data saved in a couple of minutes.

1. What is a bibliography in Latex?

A bibliography in Latex is a list of sources used in a research paper or document. It is a way to give credit to the authors whose work has been referenced in your own writing.

2. How do I create a bibliography in Latex?

To create a bibliography in Latex, you will need to use a bibliography management system, such as BibTeX. You will also need to include the necessary commands in your document, such as \bibliography and \cite, and specify the style of your bibliography.

3. Can I manually add sources to my bibliography in Latex?

Yes, you can manually add sources to your bibliography in Latex. This can be done by using the \bibitem command and providing the necessary information for each source, such as the author's name, title, and publication date.

4. How do I format my bibliography in Latex?

The format of your bibliography in Latex will depend on the style you have chosen. You can specify the style by using the \bibliographystyle command. There are various styles available, such as APA, MLA, and Chicago. You can also create your own custom style.

5. Can I include sources that are not cited in my document in my bibliography in Latex?

Yes, you can include sources that are not cited in your document in your bibliography in Latex. This can be done by using the \nocite command, which will list all the sources in your bibliography file, even if they are not cited in your document.