Bicycle wheel forced to roll around a vertical axle

In summary: M}{d} = F##I plugged in the values for the force and the radius of the wheel to find the equation for the torque.
Nexus99
Homework Statement
A wheel of a bike, equiparable to a ring of mass m and radius r, is connected through an orizzontal axis OO' to a vertical axis. The axis OO' mantain the wheel in vertical position: its lenght is d and its mass is negligible. An engine at t=0, transmit to the vertical axis a moment that increase following the law ##M = 2t##, so the wheel, at the beginning, rolls without slipping. Calculate for t = 10 s, the angular momentum of the wheel respect to the point O' and the kinetic energy of the system. Calculate the moment when the wheel starts slipping. The static friction coefficient is ##\mu_s##
Relevant Equations
angular momentum, momentum, pure rolling condition
Cattura.PNG

I had some idea to solve this problem but i can't understand where the moment M is directed and where the force/forces that has magnitude ##\frac{M}{d}## is/are directed. Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the torque is applied by the rotating pole to the rod/wheel system. That torque only has a vertical (##\hat{z}##) component, so contributes to the rate of increase in angular momentum ##L_z = md^2 \omega_z## in the vertical direction.

If you take the origin of coordinates at the position where the rod meets the pole, then the friction force from the ground, ##f_s \leq \mu N##, results in a torque which has a radial (##\hat{r}##) component as well as a vertical (##\hat{z}##) component. (N.B. this has been edited and corrected, after a mistake was pointed out by haruspex. Thanks!)

That should allow you to write two equations, one equation in terms of the angular acceleration ##\alpha_z## of the configuration around the pole, and another equation in terms of the angular acceleration ##\alpha_r## of the wheel about its centre.

You can finally apply the rolling condition, and solve for the critical case of the inequality ##f_s \leq \mu N## in terms of known variables.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Lnewqban
etotheipi said:
I believe the torque is applied by the rotating pole to the rod/wheel system. That torque only has a vertical (##\hat{z}##) component, so correlates to the rate of increase in angular momentum ##L_z = md^2 \omega_z## in the vertical direction. The friction force from the ground, ##f_s \leq \mu N##, results in a torque about the centre of the wheel which has only a radial (##\hat{r}##) component, so correlates to the rate of increase in angular momentum ##L_r = mr^2 \omega_r## in the radial direction (assuming the wheel is a "hoop").

That should allow you to write two equations, one equation in terms of the angular acceleration ##\alpha_z## of the configuration around the pole, and another equation in terms of the angular acceleration ##\alpha_r## of the wheel about its centre.

You can finally apply the rolling condition, and solve for the critical case of the inequality ##f_s \leq \mu N## in terms of known variables.
The friction also produces a torque around the vertical axis, opposing the torque from the motor.

Likes etotheipi
haruspex said:
The friction also produces a torque around the vertical axis, opposing the torque from the motor.

That's right, thanks for pointing out, I missed this. I updated my solution :smile:

Nexus99 said:
where the force/forces that has magnitude Md is/are directed.
Why do you mention a force of magnitude M/d? Is there some piece of information you have omitted? Or are you just figuring that M equates to a force M/d exerted at distance d from O'?

haruspex said:
Why do you mention a force of magnitude M/d? Is there some piece of information you have omitted? Or are you just figuring that M equates to a force M/d exerted at distance d from O'?
No, ##M## is a torque, so I thought ##\frac{M}{d}## was the force applied to the rod (or to the cm of the wheel and in opposite direction of the friction)

Nexus99 said:
No, ##M## is a torque, so I thought ##\frac{M}{d}## was the force applied to the rod (or to the cm of the wheel and in opposite direction of the friction)
Ok, that is the second option I mentioned,
haruspex said:
just figuring that M equates to a force M/d exerted at distance d from O'
Yes, for the purposes of this question, you can just treat the motor as applying a horizontal force M/d through the centre of the wheel and in the plane of the wheel.
(More generally, you might also have to consider the centripetal force from the tension in the rod.)
So now you just have a wheel with a few forces on it. What are they and what equations can you write?

##\frac{M}{d} = F ##
##f = ## friction
projecting the forces on the transverse direction to the circumference described by the wheel around the vertical axis:
## F - f = m a ##

Torque about z axis, perpendicular to the plane of the wheel:
## fr = I \alpha## ## \rightarrow ## ## f = ma##

So:
## a = \frac{t}{d} ##

and deriving: ## v = \frac{t^2}{2d} ##

Now I'm not sure but i think that are present 2 angular velocity:
one is the angular velocity due to the rotation about the vertical axis: ## \omega_1 = \frac{v}{d} ##
the second the angular velocity due to the rotation about the point of contact of the wheel : ## \omega_2 = \frac{v}{r} ##

Nexus99 said:
##\frac{M}{d} = F ##
##f = ## friction
projecting the forces on the transverse direction to the circumference described by the wheel around the vertical axis:
## F - f = m a ##

Torque about z axis, perpendicular to the plane of the wheel:
## fr = I \alpha## ## \rightarrow ## ## f = ma##

So:
## a = \frac{t}{d} ##
How did you get that last line? It is dimensionally wrong.

haruspex said:
How did you get that last line? It is dimensionally wrong.
I noticed it too. I only did algebra
## F = \frac{M}{d} = 2 ma ##
And considering that ## M = 2t ## you get my result. Probably the book forgot a coefficient in that law

Nexus99 said:
I noticed it too. I only did algebra
## F = \frac{M}{d} = 2 ma ##
And considering that ## M = 2t ## you get my result. Probably the book forgot a coefficient in that law
Ah, yes, I forgot you are given M=2t. It's ok to specify a relationship like that, but only if suitable units are prescribed. E.g. the 2 could be given as 2 Nm/s. Then you would have M=2t Nm/s, which is dimensionally ok.
But shouldn't you get ##a=\frac t{md}## Nm/s?

haruspex said:
Ah, yes, I forgot you are given M=2t. It's ok to specify a relationship like that, but only if suitable units are prescribed. E.g. the 2 could be given as 2 Nm/s. Then you would have M=2t Nm/s, which is dimensionally ok.
But shouldn't you get ##a=\frac t{md}## Nm/s?
Yes, i forgot to write the mass, and yes, i saw now on the book that M = 2t Nm/s.

Ok, probably i finished the problem
## \omega_1 = \frac{v}{d} ##
## \omega_2 = \frac{v}{r} ##
## v = \frac{t^2}{2md} ##

## L_{O'} = L' + L_{CM} = I_{CM} \omega_2 + \frac{I_{CM}}{2} \omega_1 + mvd ##
where ## I_{CM} = mr^2 ##

## K = K' + K_{CM} ##

Last question can be find imposing that
## f ≤ \mu_s mg ##

Nexus99 said:
## L_{O'} = L' + L_{CM} = I_{CM} \omega_2 + \frac{I_{CM}}{2} \omega_1 + mvd ##
where ## I_{CM} = mr^2 ##
It only makes sense to add up the terms like that if they are vectors, but you have not shown them as such.

Likes etotheipi
So should be:
## L_{O'} = \sqrt{(I_{CM} \omega_2)^2 + (\frac{I_{CM}}{2} \omega_1 + mvd))^2} ##

Nexus99 said:
So should be:
## L_{O'} = \sqrt{(I_{CM} \omega_2)^2 + (\frac{I_{CM}}{2} \omega_1 + mvd))^2} ##
It says "calculate the moment", not the magnitude of it, so maybe you should leave it as a vector.

haruspex said:
It says "calculate the moment", not the magnitude of it, so maybe you should leave it as a vector.
Ok so:
## \vec{L_{O'}} = I_{CM} \omega_2 \hat{z} - (\frac{I_{CM} \omega_1}{2} + m v d) \hat{y} ##

Nexus99 said:
Ok so:
## \vec{L_{O'}} = I_{CM} \omega_2 \hat{z} - (\frac{I_{CM} \omega_1}{2} + m v d) \hat{y} ##
How are you defining those axes? You seem to have ##\hat y## vertical, which is unusual.
Also, remember you are asked for the moment at 10s.

haruspex said:
How are you defining those axes? You seem to have ##\hat y## vertical, which is unusual.
Also, remember you are asked for the moment at 10s.
y antiparallel to M and z perpendicular to the plane represented by the wheel

Nexus99 said:
y antiparallel to M and z perpendicular to the plane represented by the wheel
So that's a rotating frame?

haruspex said:
So that's a rotating frame?
Yes but the frame rotates around y axis

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of studying a bicycle wheel forced to roll around a vertical axle?

Studying a bicycle wheel forced to roll around a vertical axle can help us understand the principles of rotational motion and how forces act on rotating objects. It also has practical applications in areas such as engineering and sports.

2. How does the force of gravity affect a bicycle wheel rolling around a vertical axle?

The force of gravity acts on the center of mass of the wheel, causing it to accelerate downward. This acceleration creates a torque, or rotational force, that causes the wheel to rotate around the vertical axle.

3. What is the relationship between the radius of the wheel and the force required to roll it around a vertical axle?

The larger the radius of the wheel, the greater the distance between the center of mass and the axle. This results in a larger torque and therefore a greater force required to roll the wheel around the vertical axle.

4. How does the shape of the wheel affect its ability to roll around a vertical axle?

The shape of the wheel can affect its rotational inertia, which is the resistance of an object to changes in its rotational motion. A wheel with a larger rotational inertia will require more force to roll around a vertical axle compared to a wheel with a smaller rotational inertia.

5. Can a bicycle wheel roll around a vertical axle without any external force?

No, a bicycle wheel cannot roll around a vertical axle without an external force acting on it. The force of gravity alone is not enough to overcome the wheel's rotational inertia and cause it to roll. A push or other external force is needed to initiate the rotation.