Bicyclic compounds nomenclature

In summary: So in this case, atoms 2 and 7 are bridgeheads.In summary, the conversation discusses the rules for naming bicyclic alkanes using the IUPAC system of nomenclature. The first step is to count the total number of carbons in the molecule, which is the parent name. Then, the number of carbons between the bridgeheads is counted and placed in brackets in descending order, with the word "bicyclo" at the beginning of the name. The conversation also addresses the confusion in identifying bridgeheads in a 3D structure, emphasizing that the lines drawn on a 2D surface may cross but do not indicate actual bonds in the molecule. Ultimately, the correct name for the given structure
gracy

Homework Statement

Name the following molecule by the IUPAC system of nomenclature.
bicyclico.gif

Homework Equations

There are some rules.

To name bicyclic alkanes, you follow these three steps:

1- Count the total number of carbons in the entire molecule. This is the parent name (eg. ten carbons in the system would be decane)

2-Count the number of carbons between the bridgeheads, then place in brackets in descending order. (eg. [2,2,1])

3-Place the word bicyclo at the beginning of the name.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I numbered the given structure as follows
numbered.png

And I considered the red line to be bridge
redline.png

redliness.png

And I named it as Bicyclo [5,3]Decane
But it is wrong . Answer is Bicyclo[3,3,1]nonane

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no carbon 6. To draw this molecules to scale you can't avoid an accidental crossing of the lines on the picture. Bonds go like 2-9 and 5-7 using your numbering scheme.

You counted the atoms incorrectly. There is no atom where you wrote the number 6. The figure is not well drawn, so I can understand the confusion, but look at it as two cyclohexane molecules stuck together.

Borek said:
To draw this molecules to scale you can't avoid an accidental crossing of the lines on the picture. Bonds go like 2-9 and 5-7 using your numbering scheme.
I did not understand.

There is no atom 6, there are no bonds 6-9, 6-7, 6-2 and 6-5. When you have something that is 3d, and you try to draw it on a flat surface of paper (which is always kind of projection), sometimes lines have to cross - but it doesn't mean they touch in the real molecule.

Where are bridgeheads in this case?

gracy said:
Where are bridgeheads in this case?
2 and 7.

I am confused. How to identify bridge heads?

gracy said:
I am confused. How to identify bridge heads?
They are the atoms that are part of the two rings.

What is a bicyclic compound?

A bicyclic compound is a type of organic compound consisting of two rings that share two or more atoms. These rings are fused together, meaning they share at least two adjacent atoms.

How are bicyclic compounds named?

The naming of bicyclic compounds follows the same rules as other organic compounds, with the addition of the prefix "bicyclo" before the parent hydrocarbon name. The numbering of the carbon atoms in bicyclic compounds starts from the bridgehead carbon, and the bridgehead carbon is not included in the name.

What is a bridgehead carbon?

A bridgehead carbon is a carbon atom that is shared by two rings in a bicyclic compound. It is the starting point for numbering the carbon atoms in bicyclic compounds.

What is the difference between a bicyclic and polycyclic compound?

A bicyclic compound has two rings that share at least two adjacent atoms, while a polycyclic compound has multiple rings that are connected in a chain or fused together. Additionally, the rings in a bicyclic compound are usually smaller than those in a polycyclic compound.

What are some common examples of bicyclic compounds?

Some common examples of bicyclic compounds include norbornane, adamantane, and decalin. These compounds are often used in the pharmaceutical industry as building blocks for drug synthesis.