IUPAC naming - choosing the main branch doubts

In summary, when choosing the main branch for a hydrocarbon chain, it is important to follow the rules of precedence. These include selecting the chain with the maximum number of substituents of the suffix functional group, the maximum number of multiple bonds, and the maximum number of single bonds. When two chains have the same length, the one with the most substituted groups should be chosen. This is in accordance with the IUPAC naming rules, where the functional group with the highest precedence is used as the suffix. Additionally, the IUPAC alphabet assigns precedence in alphabetical order, with alkyl groups coming before hydroxy groups.
agoogler
What are the rules for choosing main branch ?

Wikipedia states -

"Identification of the parent hydrocarbon chain. This chain must obey the following rules, in order of precedence:

1 It should have the maximum number of substituents of the suffix functional group. By suffix, it is meant that the parent functional group should have a suffix, unlike halogen substituents. If more than one functional group is present, the one with highest precedence should be used.
2 It should have the maximum number of multiple bonds
3 It should have the maximum number of single bonds.
4 It should have the maximum length."

I don't understand how 3 and 4 differ. Which single bonds are we counting ? only carbon-carbon single bonds in the main chain right?

Also , i heard there is a rule that says if you've two equal length chains , then choose the more substituted one. Why is it not given here?

And now now imagine you've two choices for a chain , like this -
GDk2s.jpg

The chemdoodle program (http://web.chemdoodle.com/demos/iupac-naming) gives the name as 2-(1-Hydroxybutyl)-3-methylhexanoic acid . I simply do not understand why the methyl substituted chain is chosen instead of hydroxy substituted one and how that fits with iupac rules given in wikipedia.

Please help.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
agoogler said:
"Identification of the parent hydrocarbon chain. This chain must obey the following rules, in order of precedence:

1 It should have the maximum number of substituents of the suffix functional group. By suffix, it is meant that the parent functional group should have a suffix, unlike halogen substituents. If more than one functional group is present, the one with highest precedence should be used.
2 It should have the maximum number of multiple bonds
3 It should have the maximum number of single bonds.
4 It should have the maximum length."

I don't understand how 3 and 4 differ. Which single bonds are we counting ? only carbon-carbon single bonds in the main chain right?
As you quoted, this is for the parent hydrocarbon chain, so the bonds considered are C-C. I guess you can have two chains with the same number of C-C bonds, but with one longer than the order because of the presence of heteroatoms.

agoogler said:
Also , i heard there is a rule that says if you've two equal length chains , then choose the more substituted one. Why is it not given here?
It is: "It should have the maximum number of substituents."

agoogler said:
I simply do not understand why the methyl substituted chain is chosen instead of hydroxy substituted one and how that fits with iupac rules given in wikipedia.
The rule #1 mentions the "suffix functional group." If you look up the order of precedence of groups, you will find that the carboxylic acid has precedence over the alcohol. Therefore, this is going to be an "-oic acid."

agoogler said:
why the methyl substituted chain is chosen instead of hydroxy substituted one
The IUPAC alphabet (odd at first glance, but there is some method to its madness) assigns precedence in alphabetical order, and (methyl) alkyl precedes hydroxy alphabetically. Halo will precede hydroxy whether it be bromo-, chloro-, fluoro-, or iodo-.

1. What is IUPAC naming and why is it important?

IUPAC (International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry) naming is a standardized system for naming chemical compounds. It is important because it allows scientists to communicate and identify chemical compounds accurately and efficiently.

2. How do I determine the main branch when naming a compound?

The main branch in IUPAC naming refers to the longest continuous carbon chain in the compound. To determine the main branch, start at one end of the compound and count the number of carbon atoms in the chain until you reach the other end. The longest chain is the main branch.

3. What if there are multiple main branches in a compound?

If there are multiple main branches in a compound, choose the one that has the most substituents (groups or atoms attached to the main chain). If there is a tie, choose the main branch with the substituents that have the lowest locant numbers (the lowest possible position on the main chain).

4. Can I use shortcuts or abbreviations when naming a compound?

No, IUPAC naming does not allow for shortcuts or abbreviations. Each part of the compound must be named in full using the correct prefixes and suffixes according to the IUPAC rules.

5. Are there any exceptions to the IUPAC naming rules?

While IUPAC naming is a standardized system, there are some exceptions to the rules. For example, common names may still be used for some compounds, and there are specific naming conventions for certain types of compounds such as acids and alcohols. It is important to consult the latest version of the IUPAC rules for any exceptions.