Big Freeze: Resolving the Universe's End?

• I
  • Thread starter Galactic explosion
  • Start date
In summary: This is incorrect. Virtual particles ARE real, they just don't have mass. They can only interact with other virtual particles.
Galactic explosion
How can the big freeze be a viable option for the end of the universe?

The big freeze suggests that one day the universe will expand to such a large size that stars will fuse all the existing hydrogen in the universe and just leave black holes and other remnants behind, eventually reaching maximum entropy, resulting in a cold and dark universe.

But quantum mechanics states that subatomic particles always pop in and out of existence due to vibrating strings through 11-dimensional hyperspace. The fact of that alone should tell us that hydrogen atoms will NEVER cease to exist, since they are just made up of a simple combination of protons, neutrons and electrons, which are always being created.

I'm very confused with this. Both theories seem to contradict each other, yet most scientists are at general consensus with each of them. Dr. Michio Kaku, Co-founder of m-theory even agrees with the big freeze.

Physics news on Phys.org
Virtual particles are being created and destroyed constantly. They pop into existence as opposite pairs, then immediately annihilate. The net result is zero. They don't stick around long enough to gravitationally interact.

DaveC426913 said:
Virtual particles are being created and destroyed constantly. They pop into existence as opposite pairs, then immediately annihilate. The net result is zero. They don't stick around long enough to gravitationally interact.

Yes, but what about virtual particles becoming real through a process called "Hawking radiation"? I just don't understand how there can ever be a limit to the production of atoms, otherwise our universe would not exist in the first place. Unless I do not understand the whole concept, then please explain.

Galactic explosion said:
Yes, but what about virtual particles becoming real through a process called "Hawking radiation"? I just don't understand how there can ever be a limit to the production of atoms, otherwise our universe would not exist in the first place. Unless I do not understand the whole concept, then please explain.

Some of your assumptions are wrong. Have a look at this[/PLAIN] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang_nucleosynthesis[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Galactic explosion said:
But quantum mechanics states that subatomic particles always pop in and out of existence due to vibrating strings through 11-dimensional hyperspace.

Quantum Mechanics does not use extra dimensions. This sounds like string theory, which isn't an accepted theory at the moment due to a lack of clear evidence supporting it. QM uses the standard 3 spatial and 1 time dimensions we're all used to.

Galactic explosion said:

Hawking radiation produces particles, but reduces the mass of the black hole in the process. After a very long time all black holes in the universe will evaporate and there will no longer be any hawking radiation.

Related to Big Freeze: Resolving the Universe's End?

1. What is the Big Freeze theory?

The Big Freeze theory is a cosmological model that predicts the ultimate fate of the universe. It suggests that the universe will continue to expand, causing all matter and energy to eventually dissipate and reach a state of maximum entropy, resulting in a cold and dark universe.

2. How does the Big Freeze compare to other theories about the end of the universe?

The Big Freeze is one of several possible outcomes for the end of the universe, along with the Big Crunch, Big Rip, and the Heat Death. Each of these theories has different predictions for how the universe will end based on different factors such as the rate of expansion and the amount of dark energy present.

3. What evidence supports the Big Freeze theory?

Several pieces of evidence support the Big Freeze theory, including observations of the accelerating expansion of the universe, the presence of dark energy, and the second law of thermodynamics, which states that entropy (or disorder) always increases over time. These factors all point towards a future of maximum entropy and a cold, dark universe.

4. Is the Big Freeze a certain outcome for the end of the universe?

The Big Freeze is not a certain outcome, as there is still much that is unknown about the universe and its ultimate fate. It is one of the most widely accepted theories, but there is always the possibility of new discoveries or advancements in our understanding that could change our understanding of the end of the universe.

5. Can anything be done to prevent the Big Freeze from happening?

Based on our current understanding of physics, it is unlikely that anything can be done to prevent the Big Freeze from occurring. However, this does not mean that we should stop exploring and pushing the boundaries of science and technology in the hopes of finding new solutions or theories that could potentially change the course of the universe's end.