Bigfoot research makes professor a campus outcast

In summary, Jeffrey Meldrum, a tenured professor of anatomy at Idaho State University, is a leading authority on Bigfoot and firmly believes in its existence. However, his belief has caused controversy on campus, with many scientists viewing his pursuits as "pseudo-academic." Despite this, Meldrum has gained support from renowned scientist Jane Goodall and continues to conduct research and collect evidence in hopes of proving Bigfoot's existence. Some question his methods and conviction, but he remains determined to explore this "legend" and bring scientific analysis to the debate.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
POCATELLO, Idaho (AP) -- Jeffrey Meldrum holds a Ph.D. in anatomical sciences and is a tenured professor of anatomy at Idaho State University.

He is also one of the world's foremost authorities on Bigfoot, the mythical ape-man of the Northwest woods. And Meldrum firmly believes the lumbering, shaggy brute exists.

That makes him an outcast -- a solitary, Sasquatch-like figure himself -- on the 12,700-student campus, where many scientists are embarrassed by what they call Meldrum's "pseudo-academic" pursuits and have called on the university to review his work with an eye toward revoking his tenure. One physics professor, D.P. Wells, wonders whether Meldrum plans to research Santa Claus, too.

...Still, Meldrum has a distinguished supporter in Jane Goodall, the world-famous authority on African chimpanzees. Her blurb on the jacket of Meldrum's new book, "Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science," lauds him for bringing "a much-needed level of scientific analysis" to the Bigfoot debate.

" she's very curious and she keeps an open mind," said Goodall spokeswoman Nona Gandelman. "She's fascinated by it."
[continued]
http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/11/03/professor.bigfoot.ap/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't help but wonder what the response would be if someone in the anatomical sciences tried to dictate what physicists should or should not study.

It only seems to go one way. A physicist can comment on or tell any other scientist what he or she should research. But any other scientist can never tell a physicist what to research. Physicists are treated like gods for some reason.

I don't see what could really be wrong with what Meldrum is doing as long as he doesn't base his desires on so called video tape evidence and fake foot prints.

Ivan said:
I can't help but wonder what the response would be if someone in the anatomical sciences tried to dictate what physicists should or should not study.

From the CNN report:
He tests hair samples and uses physics to produce charts that purport to show how Bigfoot would walk.

I think this is why the physicists have gotten involved.

Perhaps the people who are working on a GUT should also be isolated? Hey, at least we have an idea of what bigfoot is supposed to look like ;)

Gokul43201 said:
From the CNN report:
I think this is why the physicists have gotten involved.
uses physics to produce charts that purport to show how Bigfoot would walk.

The application of biomechanics is pretty standard stuff. Also, the comments pertained to Meldrums choice of study and not his application of physics.

Perhaps he would prefer that Meldrum use crystal balls and panther bones. :biggrin:

Meldrum said it was a decade ago in Walla Walla, Washington, that he first discovered flat 15-inch footprints in the woods. He said he thought initially that they were a hoax, but noticed locked joints and a narrow arch -- traits he came to believe could only belong to Bigfoot.

"That's what set the hook," Meldrum said. "I resolved at this point, this was a question I'd get to the bottom of."

When not in the lab, he loads his Chevy Suburban with tents and forensic gear and heads for the woods of Washington state and Northern California, where he has collected what he says are footprints, hair and feces from the ape-man. He tests hair samples and uses physics to produce charts that purport to show how Bigfoot would walk.

Meldrum wonders aloud how much longer he will be on the faculty. But he said he also dreams of one day bringing back a bone or a tooth or some skin, and silencing the "stuffy academics."

"Is the theory of exploration dead?" he asked. "I'm not out to proselytize that Bigfoot exists. I place legend under scrutiny and my conclusion is, absolutely, Bigfoot exists."

This, I think, demonstrates the problem: he believes bigfoot exists without having sufficient proof to convince the other scientists. It's probably not the fact he's studying it per se, but that he is already convinced. He's looking to prove something he already believes instead of reserving belief until it's been proven.

That is actually fairly common. Scientists are not bound to live without opinions.

Don't you think that many string theorists personally believe in string theory? In fact the same can be said for nearly any discipline and unproven theory. Apparently he has seen enough to convince him that bigfoot is real. It may even come down to an interpretation of evidence. The distiction is that the belief of one scientist is not scientific proof. As long as he doesn't cross that line, he has committed no sin beyond holding an unpopular opinion.

The real point of contention is whether he should be allowed to study this.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
That is actually fairly common. Scientists are not bound to live without opinions.
Agreed, but his conviction is presented as a belief, not an opinion:" I place legend under scrutiny and my conclusion is, absolutely, Bigfoot exists.""

Don't you think that many string theorists personally believe in string theory? In fact the same can be said for nearly any discipline and unproven theory. Apparently he has seen enough to convince him that bigfoot is real. It may even come down to an interpretation of evidence. The distiction is that the belief of one scientist is not scientific proof. As long as he doesn't cross that line, he has committed no sin beyond holding an unpopular opinion.
I think he has pretty much crossed that line. Instead of "I am personally completely persuaded by the evidence I've seen," he says "Absolutely, Bigfoot exists." That's quite a bit bolder than offering your opinion as an opinion.

The real point of contention is whether he should be allowed to study this.
I don't think that's the point of contention at all. The article makes it clear he's being allowed:

"Do I cringe when I see the Discovery Channel and I see Idaho State University, Jeff Meldrum? Yes, I do," Hackworth said. "He believes he's taken up the cause of people who have been shut out by the scientific community. He's lionized there. He's worshipped. He walks on water. It's embarrassing."

John Kijinski, dean of arts and sciences, said there have been "grumblings" about Meldrum's tenure, but no formal request for a review.

"He's a bona fide scientist," Kijinski said. "I think he helps this university. He provides a form of open discussion and dissenting viewpoints that may not be popular with the scientific community, but that's what academics (is) all about.

He's being allowed. His real problem is that he's not respected, and is regarded as a source of embarrassment.

I'm sure your right about the string theorists, and it probably shouldn't be this way; that they're respected while this guy isn't. But there I have to stop because I know zilch about string theory and couldn't begin to offer a reason why it might be different.

What is a Bigfoot?
Couldn't that be just a Shaq O'Neil among gorillas/orangutans?

...What happened was that when we were anticipating the release of the book, which was only to be that a serious professor writes a book about a topic that is not often taken so seriously and yet treats it in a very scientific fashion and has the endorsements of the likes of Jane Goodall and George Schaller.

Unfortunately the AP reporter they sent out thought there was a different story to be told (laughs). He barked up a different tree and found a couple of skeptics on campus who had in the past said negative things about my research and my preoccupation with the subject. He created a controversy and quite frankly misrepresented. My tenure has never been questioned or placed in jeopardy, nor have I ever talked with the reporter about how long I might be at ISU. Never happened.

BUT YOUR TENURESHIP AT IDAHO STATE UNIVERSITY IS IN PLACE AND IS NOT THREATENED?

Absolutely. ”[continued with a discussion of his work]
http://earthfiles.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1184&category=Environment

[not my favorite source, but since he is quoted...]

I don't know if anyone participating in this thread is familiar with NPR's "Talk of the Nation, Science Friday" show but Meldrum was a guest in this show. The episode was aired on November 10th and you can listen to the show on your computer here for free:
http://www.npr.org/templates/dmg/dm...=10-Nov-2006&segNum=4&NPRMediaPref=WM&getAd=1
He talks about his perceptions of what others think of him and his "unpopular" topic of research. Pretty interesting...

Meldrum has a book out called 'Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science' which I have read the first few pages of excerpt at Amazon and it is getting good reviews other there.

Personally, I don't know why some of the other professors are treating Meldrum in such a disrespectful manner. As long as his application of science is not in question, I say... let the man do some research!

What is the purpose of "Bigfoot research makes professor a campus outcast"?

The purpose of this article is to highlight the challenges and stigma faced by researchers studying the existence of Bigfoot, also known as Sasquatch.

What is the current state of research on Bigfoot?

The current state of research on Bigfoot is highly controversial and often met with skepticism. While there have been numerous reported sightings and evidence, such as footprints and hair samples, no conclusive proof of the creature's existence has been found.

What are some of the reasons why Bigfoot research is met with criticism?

Bigfoot research is often met with criticism due to the lack of concrete evidence and the belief that the creature is simply a myth or hoax. In addition, some critics argue that the resources and time spent on researching Bigfoot could be better used for more pressing scientific inquiries.

What role does the media play in shaping public perception of Bigfoot research?

The media often sensationalizes and exaggerates stories related to Bigfoot, leading to a distorted perception of the research and its findings. This can contribute to the stigma faced by researchers and make it difficult for them to be taken seriously.

What impact does the stigma surrounding Bigfoot research have on the scientific community?

The stigma surrounding Bigfoot research can have a negative impact on the scientific community, as it discourages researchers from pursuing unconventional or controversial topics. This can limit potential discoveries and hinder scientific progress in understanding the natural world.