Billions of Pounds in Lost Mathematicians

• Thread starter Vid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost
In summary, the article discusses how mathematics has been compromised at university and how this has cost the economy billions of pounds. It also points out how the level of technological development is dependent upon people with a good grasp of mathematics.
Vid
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/7431840.stm

The article states the obvious, but now maybe things will start to change if people believe it's effecting the economy.

From the article:
"This has led to mathematics at university being compromised and able-students being neglected, and has cost the economy billions of pounds in lost mathematicians."

"In today's Britain it is acceptable to say that you can't do maths, whereas people would be ashamed to admit they couldn't read."

Not that anything is ever going to change in the UK, or here in the US.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eloi and morlocks?

Our level of technological development is dependent upon people with at least a solid grasp of mathematics. Almost anyone can use the trappings of technology, but it takes more to understand how they work and contribute to sustaining or advancing our capabilities.

(P.S. this is probably getting moved...)

Billions of Pounds in Lost Mathematicians

Funny stuff. I wonder what that is even supposed to mean? Of course, actually measuring how much would be lost would be demanding, and I doubt anyone really tried. If anyone has evidence otherwise I'd be interested in reading it.

Actually, I realize now that while the monetary value would be hard to measure, the weight might not be. Just see how the proportion of mathematicians has changed and multiply by the number of people and the average weight in pounds per person of a Brit.

:uhh:

Speaking of funding for science and mathematics, there was a telling chart created by Sean Carroll that he posted in his blog recently. It compares the annual funding for the physical sciences awarded to major funding organizations with the money that was lost (i.e., remains unaccounted for) in Iraq.

http://cosmicvariance.com/wp-content/uploads/rd-vs-lost.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Locrian said:
actually measuring how much would be lost would be demanding,
Especially if you are short of mathematicians!

mgb_phys said:
Especially if you are short of mathematicians!

:rofl:

I didn't realize mathematicians weighed so much! :uhh:

Moonbear said:
I didn't realize mathematicians weighed so much! :uhh:

It could be just a lot of lost mathematicians. :smile:

You would think at least one could find their way home, but maybe they are all tied up in knots.

Oddly, If the s implies at least 2 and the standard 180lb airline passenger weight is used then
I think that's a repeating decimal, but too lazy to check.
Fitting somehow :cool:

1. What are "Billions of Pounds in Lost Mathematicians"?

"Billions of Pounds in Lost Mathematicians" refers to the estimated financial loss caused by the premature death of mathematicians throughout history.

2. How is the financial loss of mathematicians calculated?

The financial loss is calculated by estimating the potential contributions of each mathematician had they lived a full lifespan and continued their work.

3. Why is the loss of mathematicians significant?

Mathematicians have made significant contributions to various fields, such as physics, engineering, and technology. Their work has led to advancements in society, and their loss means a loss of potential progress and innovation.

4. What are some reasons for the premature death of mathematicians?

Some reasons for the premature death of mathematicians include war, disease, accidents, and poverty. Many mathematicians also faced discrimination and lack of support for their work, leading to early burnout or mental health issues.

5. Is there any way to prevent the loss of mathematicians?

While we cannot prevent all premature deaths, we can support and value the work of mathematicians. This can include providing better resources and opportunities for mathematicians, promoting diversity and inclusivity in the field, and recognizing the importance of their contributions to society.