Binding energy / mass deficit of Earth-moon system?

In summary: In this case, the total energy is greater when the moon is in the system, but the binding energy is greater when the moon is far away.
EternusVia

Homework Statement

Consider the earth-moon system (whose constituent pats we take to be the Earth and the moon separately).

a) Compute this system's gravitational potential energy (in joules) and the mass deficit (in kilograms). The radius of the moon's orbit is 384,000 km, and its period is 27.3 days. Does it matter that the moon is moving?

(Taken from Six Ideas that Shaped Physics, Unit Q, Chapter 13, Problem Q13M.9)

Homework Equations

Gravitational potential energy
[tex] U(r) = \frac{-GM_eM_m}{r} [/tex]
Binding energy
[tex] E_b = E_{parts} - E_{sys} [/tex]
Mass deficit
[tex] \Delta m = \frac{E_b}{c^2} [/tex]
Conversion factor
[tex] 1\frac{J}{c^2} \approx 1.1128 * 10^-17 \hspace{1mm} \mathrm{ kg} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
My answers are shown below. Barring any computational mistakes, my question is about interpreting the results. I find that the mass deficit is many many millions of kilograms! That's HUGE! It seems unreasonably huge. Did I do something wrong?

a)
The moon's movement keeps it from simply falling into the earth, but it doesn't affect the potential energy, so it doesn't affect the mass deficit.
[tex]
\begin{align*}
U(r) &= \frac{-GM_eM_m}{r} \\
&= -\frac{\left(6.67 \times 10^{-11} \frac{\mathrm{N \cdot m^2}}{\mathrm{kg^2}}\right) \left(5.98 \times 10^{24} \hspace{1mm} \mathrm{kg}\right) \left(7.36 \times 10^{22} \hspace{1mm} \mathrm{kg}\right)}{384,000 \hspace{1mm} \mathrm{km}} \\
&= -7.645 \times 10^{28} \hspace{1mm} \mathrm{N \cdot m} \\
&= -7.645 \times 10^{28} \hspace{1mm} \mathrm{J}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

This implies that
$$E_b = 0 - U(r) = 7.645 \times 10^{28} \hspace{1mm} \mathrm{J}.$$

And by the conversion factor,
$$\Delta m = \frac{E_b}{c^2} = \frac{7.645 \times 10^{28} \hspace{1mm} \mathrm{J}}{c^2} \cdot \frac{1.1128 \times 10^{-17} \hspace{1mm} \mathrm{kg}}{\frac{\mathrm{J}}{c^2}} = 8.51 \times 10^{11} \hspace{1mm} \mathrm{kg} $$

b) $$\frac{\Delta m}{m_{\mathrm{moon}}} = \frac{\left(8.51 \times 10^{11} \hspace{1mm} \mathrm{kg} \right)}{\left(7.36 \times 10^{22} \hspace{1mm} \mathrm{kg} \right)} = 1.156 \times 10^{-11}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
As your last line of calculation shows, your answer is actually very small compared to the mass of the moon and even much smaller compared to the total mass of the Earth and moon as a system.

However, are you sure that you should ignore the energy due to the motion of the moon?

Likes EternusVia
TSny said:
As your last line of calculation shows, your answer is actually very small compared to the mass of the moon and even much smaller compared to the total mass of the Earth and moon as a system.

However, are you sure that you should ignore the energy due to the motion of the moon?

I reviewed the definition of binding energy. Effectively, binding energy is the energy you need to put into separate the objects of the system infinitely and at rest. Sense they have to be at rest, I should have calculated the kinetic energy of the moon and added it to the potential energy, correct?

EternusVia said:
I reviewed the definition of binding energy. Effectively, binding energy is the energy you need to put into separate the objects of the system infinitely and at rest. Sense they have to be at rest, I should have calculated the kinetic energy of the moon and added it to the potential energy, correct?
Yes. What matters is the difference between the total energy of the system in the bound state and the total energy of the system when the Earth and moon are infinitely far apart and at rest.

Likes EternusVia

1. What is binding energy?

Binding energy is the amount of energy required to hold a system together. In the case of the Earth-moon system, it is the energy that keeps the moon in its orbit around the Earth.

2. How is binding energy related to mass deficit?

The mass deficit of a system is the difference between the total mass of its individual components and the mass of the system itself. In the case of the Earth-moon system, this mass deficit is due to the binding energy that is holding the moon in its orbit.

3. How is the binding energy of the Earth-moon system calculated?

The binding energy of the Earth-moon system can be calculated using the formula E = Gm1m2/r, where E is the binding energy, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects (Earth and moon), and r is the distance between them.

4. What factors affect the binding energy of the Earth-moon system?

The binding energy of the Earth-moon system is affected by the masses of the two objects, the distance between them, and the strength of the gravitational force between them. Any changes in these factors can alter the binding energy of the system.

5. How does the binding energy of the Earth-moon system impact its stability?

The binding energy of the Earth-moon system plays a crucial role in its stability. If the binding energy is too low, the moon may break away from its orbit and drift away from the Earth. On the other hand, if the binding energy is too high, it can cause the moon to crash into the Earth. The balance of binding energy and gravitational force is what keeps the Earth-moon system stable.