Binomial expansion- divisibility

In summary, the equation (√3 + 1)^(2n) has an integral and fractional part, with the fractional part being (√3 - 1)^(2n). Upon adding the two, the irrational terms cancel out and the odd terms are added, resulting in an even integer. This integer, denoted by I', is divisible by 2 and can be expressed as 2^(n+1). However, it is not true for all integers n ≥ 1 and may need to be solved for a specific value of n.
erisedk

Homework Statement

The integer next to (√3 + 1 )^2n is -- (n is a natural number)
Ans: Divisible by 2^(n+1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(√3 + 1 )^2n will have an integral and a fractional part.
So, I + f = (√3 + 1 )^2n
(√3 - 1 )^2n will always be fractional as (√3 - 1) < 1
So, f' = (√3 - 1 )^2n

On adding I + f and f', all the irrational terms (which are also the even terms) will cancel out and the odd terms will get added.
I + f + f' = 2 [ (2nC0 √3^2n) + (2nC2 √3^2n-2) + ... ]
I + f + f' = 2 [ (2nC0 3^n) + (2nC2 3^n-1) + ... ]

Since I + f + f' is an even integer, 0<f<1, 0<f'<1 and 0<f+f'<2
f+f'=1

So, I = 2 [ (2nC0 3^n) + (2nC2 3^n-1) + ... ] - 1
I need the integer next to (√3 + 1 )^2n. Let the required integer be denoted by I'.

I' = 2[ (2nC0 3^n) + (2nC2 3^n-1) + ... ] - 1 + 1
I' =2 [ (2nC0 3^n) + (2nC2 3^n-1) + ... ]

From here, the only thing I infer is that I' is divisible by 2. How do I show that this is divisible by 2^(n+1) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
erisedk said:

Homework Statement

The integer next to (√3 + 1 )^2n is -- (n is a natural number)
Ans: Divisible by 2^(n+1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(√3 + 1 )^2n will have an integral and a fractional part.
So, I + f = (√3 + 1 )^2n
(√3 - 1 )^2n will always be fractional as (√3 - 1) < 1
So, f' = (√3 - 1 )^2n

On adding I + f and f', all the irrational terms (which are also the even terms) will cancel out and the odd terms will get added.
I + f + f' = 2 [ (2nC0 √3^2n) + (2nC2 √3^2n-2) + ... ]
I + f + f' = 2 [ (2nC0 3^n) + (2nC2 3^n-1) + ... ]

Since I + f + f' is an even integer, 0<f<1, 0<f'<1 and 0<f+f'<2
f+f'=1

So, I = 2 [ (2nC0 3^n) + (2nC2 3^n-1) + ... ] - 1
I need the integer next to (√3 + 1 )^2n. Let the required integer be denoted by I'.

I' = 2[ (2nC0 3^n) + (2nC2 3^n-1) + ... ] - 1 + 1
I' =2 [ (2nC0 3^n) + (2nC2 3^n-1) + ... ]

From here, the only thing I infer is that I' is divisible by 2. How do I show that this is divisible by 2^(n+1) ?

Several things are wrong with your post. First, do you mean ##(\sqrt{3}+1)^{2n}## or ##(\sqrt{3}+1)^2 n##? I suspect you mean the first one, in which case you need parentheses, like this: (√3 + 1)^(2n). Second, do you mean that the answer you write is supposed to be true for all integers n ≥ 1? If that is what you mean the result is false. Or, do you mean you want to "solve for n" that produces the result cited? That is a very different type of question.

What is binomial expansion?

Binomial expansion is a mathematical process used to expand a binomial expression raised to a power. It involves multiplying the terms of the expression by each other a certain number of times depending on the exponent.

How does binomial expansion relate to divisibility?

Binomial expansion can be used to determine if a number is divisible by another number. If the coefficients of the terms in the expansion are all divisible by the divisor, then the original number is also divisible by the divisor.

What is the general formula for binomial expansion?

The general formula for binomial expansion is (a + b)^n = nC0 * a^n + nC1 * a^(n-1)b + nC2 * a^(n-2)b^2 + ... + nCn * b^n, where n is the exponent and nCr represents the combination formula nCr = n! / (r! * (n-r)!)

How is the binomial theorem used in binomial expansion?

The binomial theorem is used to determine the coefficients in the binomial expansion. It states that the coefficient of the kth term in the expansion is equal to nCk.

What are some real-life applications of binomial expansion and divisibility?

Binomial expansion and divisibility have numerous real-life applications, such as in computer algorithms, statistics, and probability. They can also be used in business and finance for calculations involving compound interest and growth rates.