Biological life as hard as iron?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a biological life form evolving a part of itself to be as hard as iron. The idea is compared to a tree analog where the wood or bark can replace metal for a low-tech society. The conversation also explores the concept of using natural materials such as chitin, spider silk, and biogenic silica to create strong and durable objects. The topic of realism and plausibility in science fiction is also brought up. The conversation ends with a consideration of using tusks and horns from animals as a potential material for creating hard and durable objects.
Kepler20f
Would it be possible for biological life to evolve a part of itself to be as hard as iron?

I’m thinking of a tree analog. The wood or bark can replace metal for a low-tech society. The planet itself is deficient in metals because of its history, so I’m not thinking that the life form uses naturally-occurring iron as part of its makeup, even if that were deemed possible. Just a variation on bark/wood that is this hard. Or at least as hard as bronze, significantly stronger than wood on Earth. What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Iron is not that hard. Steel is harder, but still far from the really hard materials.

Do you really mean "hard"? Perhaps you mean "tough"?

Spider silk is extremely tough, so tough it was tested for use in bulletproof vests. But "tough" doesn't mean "hard".

Chitin and sporopollenin are the only natural things I can think of (except teeth...). Kevlar is organic too and spider silk has greater tensile strength than steel but probably won't have the rigidity you need.
http://news.discovery.com/tech/gear-and-gadgets/body-armor-spider-silk-121015.htm
http://gertrude-old.case.edu/276/materials/21.htm
Edit- google search suggests- http://news.discovery.com/tech/print-body-armor.htm
beta-amyloid proteins tougher and lighter than stainless steel.

Thanks guys. Hmm, semantics of tough, hard etc. I mean rigid and durable. Something that could be used instead of metal for weapons, armour, utensils and tools for a bronze/iron age equivalent civilisation. They wouldn't have the patience to wind spider silk into armour! Though I am considering something like silk. And I didn't know kevlar was organic, I'll look into that thanks. Thanks for the links Enigman, will check them out.

Doing some research I stumbled across this page

Basically good old wood can with the right treatment become harder then steel. the page describes the basic process.

Thank you Nimbian, appreciate the help. Great article! Everything I've seen so far seems to show that my idea is feasible.

Yeah that's good, thanks Enigman. I think my story will be a combination of realism and some more out there stuff, with the former hopefully helping to suspend disbelief in the latter... Cool shiny swords are probably too shiny for this story though, which is distinctly grubby in flavour. Could use the idea somewhere else maybe. Cheers!

Use life form that builds carbon chains, effectively forming carbon nanotubes or something similar.

MartinV said:
Use life form that builds carbon chains, effectively forming carbon nanotubes or something similar.

Thanks Martin, interesting idea

Hardly a new one, carbon fibers were said to be enforcing skeletons of species living on Pandora (Avatar).

Well in terms of decent, plausible sci-fi I'm not exactly going to hold that film up as a shining example! Never mind the flying islands, how about an earthlike world with a breathable atmosphere, a full biosphere and sentient humanoid life, in the very next star systetm to ours! That was a film for the Transformers fans...
Anyway I think people are reading too much into my question. There was a very specific reason that I asked for 'hard as iron' because that is EXACTLY as hard/tough etc as I wanted it. No harder. My story doesn't call for supermaterials. I can see I have to be very specific with my questions.
But thanks for the responses all the same.

Could the mentioned things (biogenic silica, natural carbon fibers) justify bullet resistant life-forms? (I think about W40k orks.)

probably not quite as strong as iron but sum tusks/horns from elephants and rhinos are pretty strong and also turtle shells
and the dinosaur that hed buts every thing

Related to Biological life as hard as iron?

1. What does it mean for biological life to be as hard as iron?

When we say that biological life is as hard as iron, we are referring to the resilience and durability of living organisms. This phrase implies that living organisms have evolved to withstand harsh and challenging environments, much like the strength and toughness of iron.

2. Can any living organism truly be as hard as iron?

While it may seem like an exaggeration to compare biological life to the hardness of iron, there are many examples of living organisms that have incredibly strong and durable structures. For instance, some species of bacteria form biofilms that can be as tough as steel, and certain insects have exoskeletons that are stronger than many man-made materials.

3. How does the hardness of biological life compare to inanimate objects like iron?

The hardness of biological life is a result of the complex and dynamic processes of evolution. While inanimate objects like iron have a fixed structure and composition, living organisms have the ability to adapt and evolve in response to their environment. This allows them to develop structures and mechanisms that can withstand extreme conditions.

4. Is the hardness of biological life a universal trait?

No, the hardness of biological life is not a universal trait. It varies greatly among different species and even within the same species. For example, some plants have evolved thorns and spines for protection, while others have developed soft and delicate structures for pollination. The hardness of biological life is dependent on a variety of factors, including the species' environment, diet, and evolutionary history.

5. Can humans ever achieve the level of hardness seen in biological life?

It is unlikely that humans will ever be able to achieve the same level of hardness as biological life. While we have developed advanced technologies and materials, we are limited by our own biology and cannot adapt and evolve in the same way that living organisms can. However, studying the resilience and toughness of biological life can inspire us to create more durable and sustainable solutions in various industries.