Biology - why do plants and algal have cell wall?

In summary, the conversation discusses a hypothesis for the presence of cell walls in algal and plant cells and how to test it using individuals lacking a cell wall. The suggested hypothesis is to adapt to the aquatic environment and the test proposed is using the Benedict's test for reducing sugar. The conversation also mentions the role of the cell wall in preventing osmotic pressure and the possible reasons for the evolution of cell walls in plant cells.
MarcL

Homework Statement

Suggest a hypothesis to explain why algal and plant cells have cell walls. Suppose that mutant individuals from each group lacked a cell wall. How could you use these individuals to test your hypothesis?

Homework Equations

There aren't really...

The Attempt at a Solution

My hypothesis was that it was to adapt to the aquatic environment. ( I don't really know how to explain it, isn't the cell wall in algal to protect them from osmotic pressure? ). The way to test it I said was to use the Benedict's test for reducing sugar because there's polysaccharides in plants ( again, not sure but in the chloroplasts?). I was reading my book and I didn't find an answer anywhere for this

Physics news on Phys.org
Osmotic pressure happens because of the cell wall. No way an organism would evolve one to avoid it. Perhaps a thicker, more robust one.
I would start along the lines of homeostasis and concentration gradients.

I believe you will find polysaccs in the cell walls of algae as well as the cytoplasm.

It is quite obvious that cell wall is to prevent cell membrane from bursting due to excess endosmosis... But why only the plant cells developed it and why not animal cells if it was an evolution over non walled membrane?

1. Why do plants and algae have a cell wall?

Plants and algae have a cell wall for several reasons. One of the main purposes of the cell wall is to provide structural support and protection for the cell. The cell wall also helps maintain the shape of the cell and prevents it from bursting due to osmotic pressure. Additionally, the cell wall allows for communication and transport of materials between cells.

2. What is the cell wall made of?

The cell wall is primarily made of cellulose, a complex carbohydrate that forms a strong and rigid structure. However, the composition of the cell wall may vary depending on the type of plant or alga. For example, some algae may have cell walls made of silica or calcium carbonate instead of cellulose.

3. How does the cell wall differ from the cell membrane?

The cell wall and cell membrane serve different functions in a cell. The cell wall is a rigid outer layer that provides structural support and protection, while the cell membrane is a selectively permeable barrier that regulates the movement of materials in and out of the cell. The cell membrane is also responsible for communication and transportation within the cell.

4. Can the cell wall grow and change?

Unlike the cell membrane, the cell wall does not have the ability to grow or change. Once the cell wall is formed, it remains relatively constant in size and shape. However, some plants and algae have the ability to secrete enzymes that can break down and rebuild the cell wall in response to environmental changes.

5. Do all plants and algae have cell walls?

No, not all plants and algae have cell walls. Some types of algae, such as the dinoflagellates, do not have a cell wall. Additionally, some plants, such as the fungi and some parasitic plants, have lost their cell walls through evolution. These plants rely on other structural support systems, such as chitin or host cells, for protection and support.