Biomechanics Biceps Problem - Classical Mechanics (Moment Arms/Forces)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of necessary forces from each branch of the biceps muscle to hold the forearm parallel to the ground and balance the weight of the arm at the elbow joint. The calculations involve torque, angles of insertion, and force balance equations. It is determined that the vertical force at the elbow should be negative, indicating a downward force.
sKyHigh
Please let me know if I did this wrong or right, and if I did it wrong, please correct me :)

1. Homework Statement

The biceps brachii, a muscle in the arm, connects the radius, a bone in the forearm, to the scapula in the shoulder (see below). The muscle attaches at two places on the scapula but at only one on the radius. To move or hold the arm in place, the biceps muscle balances the weight of the arm and the force at the elbow joint. The centre of mass of the arm is at 15 cm from the elbow joint. The horizontal force of the elbow joint is 6.5 N when the forearm is held parallel to the ground and the forearm weighs 15.3 N. If the biceps supports the entire weight of the forearm, calculate the necessary force from each branch of the biceps to hold the forearm parallel to the ground and the vertical force at the elbow.

biceps brachii[2].png

2. Homework Equations

net F = 0; net Fx = 0, net Fy = 0
net torque = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Choose E as point of rotation (i.e., Moment Arm of E, MAE = 0)

MAarm = (15.3 N)(15 cm) = 229.5 N cm

Determine angles of insertions of A and B:

Firstly, I assume that, based on the diagram, points E and B (the point where B attaches to the scapula) line up vertically - is this assumption valid?

Thus angle of insertion of A = thetaA = tan-1(30/2) = 86.19 deg
Similarly, thetaB = tan-1(30/5) = 80.54 deg

Torque balance:

MAarm = MAA + MAB
229.5 N cm = FA * (5 cm)sin(86.19 deg) + FB * (5 cm)sin(80.54 deg)

Rearranging for FA,
FA = [229.5 N cm - FB * (5 cm)sin(80.54 deg)] / (5 cm)sin(86.19 deg) ... Eq. 1

Note: The "(5 cm)sin(86.19 deg)" and "(5 cm)sin(80.54 deg)" represent, respectively, the lengths of the lines that originate at E and intersect the FA and FB vectors such that the lines form right angles with said vectors.

Force balance:

x-direction:
FEx = FAx + FBx
6.5 N = FAcos(86.19 deg) + FBcos(80.54 deg)
FA = [6.5 N - FBcos(80.54 deg)] / cos(86.19 deg) ... Eq. 2

Substituting Eq. 1 into Eq. 2 yields:

[229.5 N cm - FB * (5 cm)sin(80.54 deg)] / (5 cm)sin(86.19 deg) = [6.5 N - FBcos(80.54 deg)] / cos(86.19 deg)
46 N - 0.989FB = 97.82 N - 2.473FB
1.484FB = 51.82 N
FB = 34.92 N

Substituting this result into either of Eqs. 1 or 2 yields FA = 11.47 N

y-dir'n force balance:
15.3 N = FAy + FBy + FEy
FEy = 15.3 N - (11.47 N)sin(86.19 deg) - (34.92 N)sin(80.54 deg)
FEy = -30.6 N - am I supposed to get a negative answer here?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Buuuuump! xD

It's a fun problem for anyone who enjoys classical mechanics. Can anyone afford the time to work through the problem and see if they get the same numbers as me? Thanks!

sKyHigh said:
Please let me know if I did this wrong or right, and if I did it wrong, please correct me :)

1. Homework Statement

The biceps brachii, a muscle in the arm, connects the radius, a bone in the forearm, to the scapula in the shoulder (see below). The muscle attaches at two places on the scapula but at only one on the radius. To move or hold the arm in place, the biceps muscle balances the weight of the arm and the force at the elbow joint. The centre of mass of the arm is at 15 cm from the elbow joint. The horizontal force of the elbow joint is 6.5 N when the forearm is held parallel to the ground and the forearm weighs 15.3 N. If the biceps supports the entire weight of the forearm, calculate the necessary force from each branch of the biceps to hold the forearm parallel to the ground and the vertical force at the elbow.

View attachment 73651

2. Homework Equations

net F = 0; net Fx = 0, net Fy = 0
net torque = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Choose E as point of rotation (i.e., Moment Arm of E, MAE = 0)

MAarm = (15.3 N)(15 cm) = 229.5 N cm

Determine angles of insertions of A and B:

Firstly, I assume that, based on the diagram, points E and B (the point where B attaches to the scapula) line up vertically - is this assumption valid?

Thus angle of insertion of A = thetaA = tan-1(30/2) = 86.19 deg
Similarly, thetaB = tan-1(30/5) = 80.54 deg

Torque balance:

MAarm = MAA + MAB
229.5 N cm = FA * (5 cm)sin(86.19 deg) + FB * (5 cm)sin(80.54 deg)

Rearranging for FA,
FA = [229.5 N cm - FB * (5 cm)sin(80.54 deg)] / (5 cm)sin(86.19 deg) ... Eq. 1

Note: The "(5 cm)sin(86.19 deg)" and "(5 cm)sin(80.54 deg)" represent, respectively, the lengths of the lines that originate at E and intersect the FA and FB vectors such that the lines form right angles with said vectors.

Force balance:

x-direction:
FEx = FAx + FBx
6.5 N = FAcos(86.19 deg) + FBcos(80.54 deg)
FA = [6.5 N - FBcos(80.54 deg)] / cos(86.19 deg) ... Eq. 2

Substituting Eq. 1 into Eq. 2 yields:

[229.5 N cm - FB * (5 cm)sin(80.54 deg)] / (5 cm)sin(86.19 deg) = [6.5 N - FBcos(80.54 deg)] / cos(86.19 deg)
46 N - 0.989FB = 97.82 N - 2.473FB
1.484FB = 51.82 N
FB = 34.92 N

Substituting this result into either of Eqs. 1 or 2 yields FA = 11.47 N

y-dir'n force balance:
15.3 N = FAy + FBy + FEy
FEy = 15.3 N - (11.47 N)sin(86.19 deg) - (34.92 N)sin(80.54 deg)
FEy = -30.6 N - am I supposed to get a negative answer here?!
That all looks right. To see whether the vertical force should be up or down, consider moments about the point where the muscle attaches to the radius.

haruspex said:
That all looks right. To see whether the vertical force should be up or down, consider moments about the point where the muscle attaches to the radius.
Thanks for responding! Was my use of trigonometry correct, particularly when calculating the moment arms? I neglected the 6 cm width of the forearm, not sure if it was okay to do so. That's where I had a bit of uncertainty. Also, in retrospect, FEy should be negative; the elbow ALWAYS exerts a net downward force in this configuration.

sKyHigh said:
Thanks for responding! Was my use of trigonometry correct, particularly when calculating the moment arms? I neglected the 6 cm width of the forearm, not sure if it was okay to do so. That's where I had a bit of uncertainty. Also, in retrospect, FEy should be negative; the elbow ALWAYS exerts a net downward force in this configuration.
The 6cm width is not in itself relevant, but your working is not quite accurate because the point of attachment of the muscle to the radius is slightly above the joint. The height difference is unclear - it looks to be less than 3cm.

haruspex said:
The 6cm width is not in itself relevant, but your working is not quite accurate because the point of attachment of the muscle to the radius is slightly above the joint. The height difference is unclear - it looks to be less than 3cm.
Thank you, that is precisely where my uncertainty lies in my attempt to solve the problem. Do you know of a more accurate way to solve the problem than assuming a height differential of, say, 2.5 cm? That is, I would instead use "(5.6 cm)sin(86.19 deg)" and "(5.6 cm)sin(80.54 deg)", respectively, when calculating MAA and MAB, where the "5.6 cm" is obtained via

c2 = a2 + b2
c2 = 52 + 2.52
c = 5.6 cm

The other uncertainty is the assumption that points B and E are in vertical alignment. What do you think of this assumption? Is it necessary to solve the problem? Valid?

Many thanks for helping me out!

Last edited:
Bump! :p

By assuming a height differential of 2.5 cm between E and the point of insertion of the biceps into the radius (i.e., a distance of 5.6 cm between E and said point of insertion), I get FA = 3.26 N, FB = 38.24 N, and FEy = 25.67 N [down]. Can anyone verify this? Thanks!

1. What is biomechanics and how does it relate to biceps?

Biomechanics is the study of the mechanical principles of living organisms, including humans. It involves analyzing the forces and movements involved in different biological systems. Biceps are a muscle in the human body that is responsible for flexing the elbow and rotating the forearm.

2. What is the biceps problem in classical mechanics?

The biceps problem in classical mechanics refers to the challenge of understanding the forces and moment arms involved in the movement of the biceps muscle. Specifically, it involves calculating the forces and moments required for the biceps to flex the elbow and lift a weight.

3. How do moment arms and forces play a role in the biceps problem?

Moment arms and forces are critical components in the biceps problem because they determine the amount of force the biceps muscle can generate to flex the elbow and lift a weight. The moment arm is the perpendicular distance between the muscle's line of action and the joint it is acting on, while the force is the amount of push or pull applied to the muscle.

4. What are some methods used to solve the biceps problem in biomechanics?

There are various methods used to solve the biceps problem, including mathematical equations, computer simulations, and experimental studies. One commonly used method is the inverse dynamics approach, which involves measuring the movement of the joint and using equations to calculate the forces and moments required to produce that movement.

5. How does understanding the biceps problem benefit the field of biomechanics?

Understanding the biceps problem is essential in biomechanics as it provides insight into the mechanical principles and limitations of the human body. This knowledge can be applied in various fields, such as sports science, rehabilitation, and ergonomics, to improve performance, prevent injuries, and design efficient and safe work environments.