Biomechanics - Center of Gravity and Projectile Motion - PLEASE help

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of how one player can have an advantage over the other in a jump for the ball, even with the same mass and body segment dimensions and initial velocities. This is due to the location of the center of gravity (CoG) being affected by the distribution of mass in the body. When one player reaches with one arm up, the CoG is raised, giving them a higher potential energy and allowing them to reach higher with their fingertips. This is explained using knowledge of projectile motion and the factors that affect the location of the CoG. The conversation also mentions that the forces and height reached are the same for both players, but the position of the CoG is different depending on the distribution of mass.
set0447
1. My professor explained this concept before, but I didn't quite understand. I need help with understanding how if two players jump for the ball with the exact same mass and body segment dimensions, taking off with the same vertical and horizontal velocity of the CoG, one can have an advantage over the other by reaching with one arm up (and the other arm by her side) while the other one reaches with both arms. I don't even understand the concept, or even know where to start. :( We have to write 2 paragraphs on it using "knowledge of projectile motion and the factors that affect the location of the CoG to explain why the player that has one up arm up has an advantage. Please help me?

2. I don't know any relevant equations

3. All I remember him saying is that CoG goes up when arms are raised. Also, there is more force being used because there is less mass? I don't even know. Honestly, that is where I am starting. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
The forces are the same, and the height H the centre of gravity will reach is the same for both players: where the potential energy mgH equals to the initial kinetic energy, 1/2 mv^2 (v is the initial velocity of the player jumping up, and m is his mass.) The position of the CoG depends on the distribution of mass. If both arms are down, it is somewhere in the height of the belly, and rises if one or both arms are up.

Imagine that the CoG is at the stomach when one arm is raised and at the chest when both arms are up. When both players jump up, the stomach of the first player reaching out by one arm is at the same height as the chest of the other one. Whose fingertips reach higher?

ehild

1. What is biomechanics?

Biomechanics is the study of how living organisms use physical laws and principles to move and maintain balance. It combines principles from physics, engineering, and biology to understand how the body interacts with its environment.

2. What is the center of gravity?

The center of gravity is the point at which an object's weight is evenly distributed in all directions. In humans, the center of gravity is typically located around the hips or lower abdomen, as this is where most of the body's mass is concentrated.

3. How is the center of gravity important in biomechanics?

The center of gravity is crucial in maintaining balance and stability while moving. It helps to determine an object's stability and how it will respond to external forces. In biomechanics, understanding the center of gravity is essential in analyzing how the body moves and how to improve efficiency and reduce the risk of injury.

4. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object or body in freefall under the influence of gravity. It is characterized by a curved path, which is the result of the object's horizontal and vertical velocities. In biomechanics, projectile motion is important in understanding how objects, such as balls or projectiles, move through the air and how to optimize their trajectory.

5. How is biomechanics used in sports?

Biomechanics is used in sports to analyze and improve athletic performance, prevent injuries, and design sports equipment. By understanding the principles of biomechanics, coaches and trainers can help athletes optimize their movements and techniques to achieve better results, while also reducing the risk of injury. Biomechanics is also used in the design of sports equipment, such as running shoes or golf clubs, to enhance performance and minimize the impact on the body.