Biomedical Engineering: power (W) needed to warm blood

In summary, in order to prevent hypothermia in a patient during a rapid, high-volume blood transfusion, a fast-flow blood warmer can be used. The blood warmer must heat the blood product from an initial temperature of 8 degrees Celcius to a target temperature of 37 degrees Celcius. The blood product density and specific heat are assumed to be 1.12 g/cm3 and 3.8 kJ/kgK, respectively. To calculate the theoretical heating power (W) needed for the blood warmer, the equation q=mcΔT can be used, where q is the energy required to heat the blood product, m is the mass of the blood product, c is the specific heat, and Δ
A Furious Potato

Homework Statement

Fast-flow blood warmers (pictured below) can be used to heat blood products (carefully and uniformly) when rapid, high-volume transfusions are necessary, in order to prevent hypothermia in the patient. The blood product density and specific heat can be assumed to be 1.12 g/cm3 and 3.8 kJ/kgK, respectively. If the blood product initially is at 8 degrees Celcius, the target temperature is 37 degrees Celcius, and the maximum transfusion rate is 900 ml/h, what is the theoretical heating power (W) needed for this machine?
Smiths-Level-1.jpg

Homework Equations

q=mcΔT
W=J/s
Density=m/V

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry, this is a new type of problem that our prof. gave, and he also gave no hint/formula so I am lost. Where do you implement the transfusion rate in the calculation? Do I treat it as the volume?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use your first equation to find energy to heat the 900ml.
Use the second equation to find the power required to do it in one hour.
Or combine the equations to do it all in one step.

Likes CWatters
billy_joule said:
Use your first equation to find energy to heat the 900ml.
Use the second equation to find the power required to do it in one hour.
Or combine the equations to do it all in one step.
Thank you :)

A Furious Potato said:

Homework Statement

Fast-flow blood warmers (pictured below) can be used to heat blood products (carefully and uniformly) when rapid, high-volume transfusions are necessary, in order to prevent hypothermia in the patient. The blood product density and specific heat can be assumed to be 1.12 g/cm3 and 3.8 kJ/kgK, respectively. If the blood product initially is at 8 degrees Celcius, the target temperature is 37 degrees Celcius, and the maximum transfusion rate is 900 ml/h, what is the theoretical heating power (W) needed for this machine?
View attachment 190432

Homework Equations

q=mcΔT
W=J/s
Density=m/V

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry, this is a new type of problem that our prof. gave, and he also gave no hint/formula so I am lost. Where do you implement the transfusion rate in the calculation? Do I treat it as the volume?
please tell me how you figured this out because I actually have like the exact question on my homework, thank you.

1. How does biomedical engineering help in calculating the power needed to warm blood?

Biomedical engineering uses principles of thermodynamics and heat transfer to determine the power needed to warm blood. This involves understanding the properties of blood, such as its specific heat capacity, and the rate of heat transfer required to raise its temperature to the desired level.

2. What factors affect the power needed to warm blood?

The power needed to warm blood depends on several factors, including the initial temperature of the blood, the desired final temperature, the flow rate of the blood, and the type of heating device used. Other factors such as the size and composition of the heating element and the thermal insulation of the system can also impact the power needed.

3. How is the power needed to warm blood calculated?

The power needed to warm blood can be calculated using the equation P = mCΔT, where P is power, m is the mass of the blood, C is its specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature. This equation can be modified to account for other variables, such as flow rate and heat transfer coefficients, depending on the specific system being studied.

4. Are there any risks associated with using too much power to warm blood?

Yes, using too much power to warm blood can potentially lead to tissue damage and burns. Therefore, it is important to carefully calculate and monitor the power needed to ensure that the blood is warmed safely and effectively.

5. How does the power needed to warm blood vary for different medical procedures?

The power needed to warm blood can vary for different medical procedures, depending on the specific needs of the patient. For example, in surgeries that involve extracorporeal circulation, a higher power may be needed to account for the cooling effect of the bypass machine. In contrast, for less invasive procedures such as blood transfusions, a lower power may be sufficient to maintain the desired temperature of the blood.