Biosystems Eng.: pasteurization system for peanut butter

In summary, the discussion revolves around calculating the theoretical operating capacity and storage tank size for a thermal pasteurization system designed to reduce pathogen risk in peanut butter. The necessary values for peanut butter density and specific heat are provided, as well as the heating power of the pasteurizer. The questions ask for the amount of peanut butter that can be pasteurized in an 8-hour shift and the size of the storage tank needed for one shift's worth of peanut butter. The equations needed to solve these questions are V=m/ρ, V=v.ΔT, Q=m.C.ΔT, and W=J/s.
A Furious Potato

Homework Statement

In recent years, there have been several significant outbreaks and recalls associated with Salmonella in peanut butter. One company has designed a thermal pasteurization system to reduce pathogen risk in peanut butter, in which the peanut butter is pumped through a heating tube and heated to 85degC (from an initial temperature of 15.6degC). You have been given values for peanut butter density (1,090 kg/m3) and specific heat (1.2 kJ/kgK). If the pasteurizer can deliver 47 kW of heating power, (a) What is the theoretical operating capacity of the pasteurizer (lb/h) of peanut butter? (b) What size storage tank (ft3) is needed to store one shift (8 h) worth of peanut butter for this facility?

Homework Equations

V=m/ρ
V=v.ΔT
Q=m.C.ΔT
W=J/s

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I'm lost. I don't understand the first question and I don't know where to start. I would appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Deleted

Last edited:
Why don't you start by determining how many kg of peanut butter can pasteurized in an 8-hour shift? You can always convert that to pounds afterward.

Things associated with answering that question:
- What is the available Q over an 8-hour shift?
- What is the ΔT required?

Hi I'm in the same class and don't know the answer either did you figure it out?

1. What is the purpose of a pasteurization system for peanut butter?

A pasteurization system for peanut butter is used to eliminate harmful bacteria and pathogens that may be present in the product. This ensures the safety and quality of the peanut butter for consumption.

2. How does a pasteurization system work?

A pasteurization system uses heat to kill bacteria and pathogens in the peanut butter. The product is heated to a specific temperature for a set amount of time, and then cooled rapidly to prevent further bacterial growth.

3. What are the benefits of using a pasteurization system for peanut butter?

Pasteurization not only ensures the safety of the product, but also extends its shelf life. It also helps to maintain the flavor and texture of the peanut butter, as compared to other methods of preservation.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a pasteurization system?

One potential drawback is that pasteurization can alter the taste and texture of the peanut butter, as it is being heated and cooled. Some consumers may prefer raw or minimally processed peanut butter for this reason.

5. How does pasteurization compare to other methods of preserving peanut butter?

Pasteurization is considered to be a more effective and safer method of preserving peanut butter compared to other methods such as irradiation or chemical preservatives. It is also a more natural process, as it only uses heat to eliminate bacteria and pathogens.

Back