Birefringent walk off question

In summary, the conversation discusses birefringent walkoff in a crystal and the possibility of using a phase-conjugate mirror to compensate for it. The main question is whether reflecting the light back through the crystal will reverse the walkoff direction. This concept is known as reciprocity and has been used in technologies like Faraday isolators.
quackyneudle
Hi,
I am having trouble wrapping my head around a simple (I think?) question about birefringent walkoff:

If the crystal is oriented at some angle such that walkoff is nonzero between e and o beams (in a nonlinear conversion process, for example), it seems to me that reflecting the light straight back after it exits should have the e beam walkoff in the opposite direction as before i.e. towards the o beam, and "compensated". But, I haven't been able to convince myself of this by drawing pictures. Can anyone help provide an explanation about whether this is correct of not, whether through math or visual argument?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
<Moderator's note: Post merged from another thread>

Hi,
I am trying to reason out whether when one reverses the sign of k, does the angle between k_e and S_e (wavevector experiencing extraordinary refraction, extraordinary Poynting vector) change in sign. In other words, if a reflect back with a normal-incidence mirror a beam experience extraordinary index of refraction, will it return to the same point at which it entered the crystal?

I am asking this in the context of nonlinear optics (OPG), and wondering whether double-passing a pump beam through a crystal will compensate for walkoff.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
quackyneudle said:
Hi,
I am having trouble wrapping my head around a simple (I think?) question about birefringent walkoff:

If the crystal is oriented at some angle such that walkoff is nonzero between e and o beams (in a nonlinear conversion process, for example), it seems to me that reflecting the light straight back after it exits should have the e beam walkoff in the opposite direction as before i.e. towards the o beam, and "compensated". But, I haven't been able to convince myself of this by drawing pictures. Can anyone help provide an explanation about whether this is correct of not, whether through math or visual argument?

Thanks!

If I understand your question, you are asking about 'reciprocity'. Some polarization-dependent devices, such as a Faraday isolator, are not reciprocal. Use of a phase-conjugate mirror instead of a 'normal' mirror restores reciprocity, and so that technology has been used, for example, to correct aberrations.

Does that help?

1. What is birefringent walk off?

Birefringent walk off is a phenomenon that occurs when light travels through a material with two different refractive indices, causing the light to split into two beams with different polarizations and directions of propagation.

2. How does birefringent walk off affect light propagation?

Birefringent walk off can cause light to split into two beams with different polarizations and directions of propagation, which can result in distortion or loss of the original light signal.

3. What materials exhibit birefringent walk off?

Materials with anisotropic properties, such as crystals, can exhibit birefringent walk off. Examples include quartz, calcite, and sapphire.

4. What are the applications of birefringent walk off?

Birefringent walk off can be used in various optical devices, such as polarizers, wave plates, and modulators. It is also utilized in telecommunications, fiber optics, and laser technology.

5. How is birefringent walk off measured and controlled?

Birefringent walk off can be measured using polarimetry techniques, such as polarimeters or ellipsometers. It can also be controlled through the use of compensators, which introduce an opposite birefringence to cancel out the effects of birefringent walk off.