BJT Biasing - Simple easy 1 minute answer

The final values for IB, IC, and IE will depend on the specific values of beta (β). In summary, the given circuit has a NPN transistor with values for VCC, R1, R2, RC, and RE, and a specified beta (β). Using the formula V = iR, the values for IB, IC, and IE can be calculated. The value of VBE is assumed to be 0.7V. The specific values for IB, IC, and IE will vary depending on the specific value of beta (β).
ally34

Homework Statement

Find IB, IC, IE, VCE, VBC, and VEB for the NPN transistor in the circuit below for β = 50, 150, 500. Let VCC = 10 V, R1 = 100 KΩ, R2 = 400 KΩ, RC=2 KΩ, and RE = 0 Ω. Assume VBE = 0.7V.

Homework Equations

V = iR
IE = Ib + Ic

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is that if RE = 0 ohms, then is Ie automatically 0 amps?

But the how does Ie = Ib + Ic apply? Because I got 92.25uA for Ib and 4.56mA for Ic?

Help! :]

Physics news on Phys.org
Forgot to put the figure :]

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    3.7 KB · Views: 453
ally34 said:
My question is that if RE = 0 ohms, then is Ie automatically 0 amps?
No. A piece of connecting wire from emitter to ground = 0 Ω :smile:

NascentOxygen said:
No. A piece of connecting wire from emitter to ground = 0 Ω :smile:

Awwww!

:[ So Ie = Ib + Ic is correct?

I would use this to calculate Ie?

ally34 said:
Awwww!

:[ So Ie = Ib + Ic is correct?
Yes.

I would use this to calculate Ie?
It is involved in the calculations.

1. What is BJT biasing?

BJT biasing is the process of setting the proper DC operating conditions for a bipolar junction transistor (BJT) in order to achieve the desired amplification and current flow.

2. Why is BJT biasing important?

BJT biasing is important because it ensures that the transistor operates within its specified parameters, providing stable and reliable amplification without distortion or damage.

3. What are the different types of BJT biasing?

The three main types of BJT biasing are fixed bias, emitter bias, and collector-to-base bias. Fixed bias uses a fixed voltage source to set the base bias, emitter bias uses a voltage divider circuit, and collector-to-base bias uses a biasing resistor between the collector and base.

4. How do you calculate the values for BJT biasing components?

The values for BJT biasing components can be calculated using the transistor's datasheet and the desired DC operating conditions. The formulas for each type of biasing can be found in most electronics textbooks or online resources.

5. What are the potential problems with BJT biasing?

The main potential problems with BJT biasing include thermal instability, which can lead to changes in the DC operating conditions and affect the amplification, and bias drift, where the bias voltage shifts over time due to temperature changes or aging components.