Black Body Radiation and ambient temperature

In summary: For part B, emissivity = absorptivity means that the black body absorbs all incident radiation, but also emits the same amount of radiation. Since the temperature of the black body is maintained at T, there will be no change in the amount of radiation emitted.For part C, the radiation spectra of a black body only depends on its temperature, not on the incident radiation. So there will be no change in the amount of energy radiated in the visible spectrum.
mukul

Homework Statement

In a dark room with ambient temperature T0, a black body is kept at a temperature T. Keeping the temperature of the black body constant (at T), sunrays are allowed to fall on the black body through a hole in the roof of the dark room. Assuming that there is no change in the ambient temperature of the room, which of the following statement(s) is/are correct?

(A) The quantity of radiation absorbed by the black body in unit time will increase.
(B) Since emissivity = absorptivity, hence the quantity of radiation emitted by black body in unit time will
increase.
(C) Black body radiates more energy in unit time in the visible spectrum.
(D) The reflected energy in unit time by the black body remains same.

Homework Equations

emissivity=absorptivity

The Attempt at a Solution

I think A and D are correct

A) After opening the hole in the roof greater amount of heat is falling on the black body so it will absorb greater amount of heat;
B) Radiations emitted by black body just depends on temperature of black body, so there will be no change in radiation emitted.
C) Again since radiation spectra of black body just depends on temperature of black body so there will be no change in radiation spectra of black body
D) Black body do not reflect anything so there will be no change in radiations reflected

But the answer given in various books is A,B,C,D unanimously.4. Link to relevant resources.

A) This website tries to explain it. http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2009-02/1235742866.Ph.r.html

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mukul said:
B) Radiations emitted by black body just depends on temperature of black body, so there will be no change in radiation emitted.
-seems to be true.

however it will be difficult to maintain the temperature T2 and T1
mukul said:
(D) The reflected energy in unit time by the black body remains same.

i have some doubt regarding above as i have not seen/can visualize black body as a reflector.
for others the following may be used.
For a body of any arbitrary material emitting and absorbing thermal electromagnetic radiation at every wavelength in thermodynamic equilibrium, the ratio of its emissive power to its dimensionless coefficient of absorption is equal to a universal function only of radiative wavelength and temperature. That universal function describes the perfect black-body emissive power.
For an arbitrary body emitting and absorbing thermal radiation in thermodynamic equilibrium, the emissivity is equal to the absorptivity.
i could not get the purpose behind the experimental set-up.

drvrm said:
-seems to be true.

however it will be difficult to maintain the temperature T2 and T1

i have some doubt regarding above as i have not seen/can visualize black body as a reflector.
for others the following may be used.
For a body of any arbitrary material emitting and absorbing thermal electromagnetic radiation at every wavelength in thermodynamic equilibrium, the ratio of its emissive power to its dimensionless coefficient of absorption is equal to a universal function only of radiative wavelength and temperature. That universal function describes the perfect black-body emissive power.
For an arbitrary body emitting and absorbing thermal radiation in thermodynamic equilibrium, the emissivity is equal to the absorptivity.
i could not get the purpose behind the experimental set-up.
Is it safe to assume that according to you, following is the status
A correct
B incorrect
C incorrect
D not sure

Regarding (D):

An ideal black body absorbs all incident electromagnetic radiation.

mukul said:
A correct
B incorrect
C incorrect
D not sure

i think my answer is (taking the thought experiment of maintaining the black body at a constant temp as well as the room temp also constant through out the measurement)
A. incorrect-radiation absorbed per unit time will be constant-that constant value may change after exposure to sunlight
B. incorrect-quantity of radiation emitted by black body in unit time will remain constant (a raised value of new constant)
C. incorrect
D. Correct(If we take reflectivity to be zero)

mukul said:
A correct
B incorrect
C incorrect
D not sure
I would say the first three are correct .

SammyS said:
SammyS can you please explain how did arrive at that. Specially parts B and C

mukul said:
SammyS said:

SammyS can you please explain how did arrive at that. Specially parts B and C
I should have said: "Your answers are correct for the first three."

1. What is black body radiation?

Black body radiation refers to the electromagnetic radiation emitted by an object at a given temperature. It is a theoretical concept used to describe the idealized behavior of an object that absorbs all radiation that falls on it, with no reflection or transmission. Real objects do not exhibit perfect black body behavior, but many objects, such as stars, approximate it closely.

2. How is black body radiation related to ambient temperature?

The intensity and wavelength distribution of black body radiation is directly related to the temperature of the object emitting it. As the temperature of an object increases, the intensity of its black body radiation also increases, and the peak wavelength of the radiation shifts towards shorter, higher energy wavelengths.

3. Why is understanding black body radiation important in science?

Black body radiation is a fundamental concept in physics and has many practical applications in fields such as astrophysics, thermodynamics, and materials science. It helps us understand the behavior of objects at different temperatures and the transfer of energy through radiation. It also serves as the basis for important laws such as Planck's law and the Stefan-Boltzmann law.

4. How does ambient temperature affect everyday objects?

Ambient temperature, or the temperature of the surrounding environment, can have a significant impact on the behavior and functionality of everyday objects. For example, the performance of electronic devices may be affected by changes in ambient temperature, and the expansion and contraction of materials due to temperature changes can cause structural damage over time.

5. Can black body radiation be manipulated or controlled?

While we cannot directly manipulate black body radiation, we can indirectly control it by adjusting the temperature of the object emitting the radiation. In some cases, materials can be designed to have specific properties that affect the absorption and emission of radiation, but the overall behavior of black body radiation is determined by the temperature of the object emitting it.