Black hole Accretion Luminosity

In summary, the luminosity of radiation emitted by a black hole accreting mass at a rate ##\dot M## and with an energy conversion efficiency of ##\eta## is given by ##\eta\dot M c^2##.
bowlbase

Homework Statement

Suppose that a black hole of mass M accretes mass at a rate ##\dot{M}##. Further suppose that accretion of mass Δm leads to the radiation of energy ##\Delta E= \eta Δmc^2##, for some effeciency of energy conversion, ##\eta##. What is the luminosity of emitted radiation in terms of ##\dot{M}## and ##\eta##?

Homework Equations

Luminosity equation, sort of?

The Attempt at a Solution

The only equation I've ever seen for luminosity has been in terms of temperature and radius. So I'm at a loss here where to go with this. I understand that luminosity is the amount of energy an object gives off over time but I'm sure I can't just put that ΔE over a Δt and call it good. This is suppose to be a simple question but I'm just not making the connections I need to solve it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Edited for clarification. Currently my answer is just the ΔE over 4pi. Anyone have a suggestion for this?

bowlbase said:
Edited for clarification. Currently my answer is just the ΔE over 4pi. Anyone have a suggestion for this?

Ok. I'm not an expert but I really don't see any other way to go with this. Luminosity is dE/dt as far as I know. So dE/dt=η*dM/dt*c^2=η*##\dot M##*c^2. You don't quite divide them both by Δt, but it's really almost the same thing. You said this is an easy question, right? Maybe it is that easy. At least I don't see what else to do. I don't see what sense ΔE over 4pi makes, it has the units of energy, not energy/second.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Maybe I'm just thinking too hard about this. What you have must be correct I would assume, but it makes me question why he'd even make that part of the problem set. Unless just to check if we recall what luminosity is. Anyway, thanks for the assistance.

bowlbase said:
Maybe I'm just thinking too hard about this. What you have must be correct I would assume, but it makes me question why he'd even make that part of the problem set. Unless just to check if we recall what luminosity is. Anyway, thanks for the assistance.

Yes, it does seem too easy. Let me know if I've missed something important.

1. What is black hole accretion luminosity?

Black hole accretion luminosity refers to the amount of energy emitted by a black hole as it absorbs matter from its surrounding environment.

2. How does accretion impact a black hole's luminosity?

Accretion greatly increases a black hole's luminosity, as the matter it absorbs heats up and releases energy in the form of radiation.

3. What factors influence the accretion luminosity of a black hole?

The accretion luminosity of a black hole is influenced by the rate of accretion, the mass of the black hole, and the properties of the accreting matter, such as its density and composition.

4. Can black hole accretion luminosity be observed?

Yes, black hole accretion luminosity can be observed through telescopes and other instruments that detect the radiation emitted by the accreting matter as it falls into the black hole.

5. How does black hole accretion luminosity relate to the growth of black holes?

Black hole accretion luminosity is directly related to the growth of black holes, as the energy released during accretion allows the black hole to grow in mass and size.