Black Holes & Stars: Quantum Entanglement Possibility?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of black holes being entangled with stars and the reason for observing the "tunnel closing" when a star dies out or explodes. The speaker also mentions the various types of black holes and stars and their properties. The other person in the conversation questions the existence of a tunnel and the idea of entanglement between black holes and stars. The expert summarizer concludes that black holes are not entangled with other stars, but they can be affected by the material they ingest.
Antman0115
TL;DR Summary
Okay so disclaimer; I am not a physicist, i have only loosely looked at different examples of general relativity, super string theory, topology as well as some theories on black holes in my spare time, and i had a question that im not sure was asked/answered.
Would it possible that black holes share a quantum entanglement with stars(such as white dwarfs), and the reason we observe the tunnel closing is the star dies out/explodes? I understand that there are different types of black holes and stars, varying in size and properties of mass/spacial occupancy but it was something that had crossed my mind. Hoping for an answer!

Physics news on Phys.org
Two points:

1) We have never observed anything that I would describe as a "tunnel closing". Perhaps our best observations are with the Gravitational Wave Observatories - where we see the results of a large Black Hole combining with another Black Hole or Neutron star. The result is that they spiral together until a single event horizon is formed around the entire remaining mass.

2) When a star is trapped by a Black Hole, it is generally torn apart with the remnants forming (or joining) an accretion disk around the Black Hole. Much of the material in this accretion disk eventually makes its way down to the event horizon - but a lot of it is ejected in other ways (see the article).

Black Holes can probably be affected by the entanglement of material they have ingested - but I will let someone else field that part.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Antman0115 said:
...the reason we observe the tunnel closing is ...
What is this "tunnel" you speak of?

Antman0115 said:
Would it possible that black holes share a quantum entanglement with stars(such as white dwarfs)
Black holes form from the gravitational collapse of sufficiently large stars. They're not entangled with any other stars.

PeterDonis said:
Black holes form from the gravitational collapse of sufficiently large stars. They're not entangled with any other stars.
They're entangled in principle.

StevieTNZ said:
They're entangled in principle.
Why?

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star collapses in on itself.

2. How does quantum entanglement relate to black holes?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon where two particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, even when they are separated by large distances. Some theories suggest that black holes may exhibit quantum entanglement with other particles, which could play a role in their formation and behavior.

3. Can black holes and stars be quantum entangled?

While there is currently no direct evidence of quantum entanglement between black holes and stars, some theories suggest that it is possible. However, due to the extreme conditions within black holes, it is difficult to study and confirm this possibility.

4. What is the significance of quantum entanglement in relation to black holes and stars?

If quantum entanglement is found to exist between black holes and stars, it could provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and how they operate in extreme environments. It could also help explain some of the mysteries surrounding black holes, such as their information paradox and the behavior of matter near their event horizon.

5. Is there any practical application of studying quantum entanglement in relation to black holes and stars?

While there are no direct practical applications at the moment, studying quantum entanglement in relation to black holes and stars could lead to advancements in quantum computing and communication. It could also provide insights into the nature of spacetime and the possibility of manipulating it for faster-than-light travel.