Black holes, white dwarfs and neutron star - Shapiro, Teukolsky

In summary, the problem asks to show that the electron fraction, mu_e, in completely ionized matter can be expressed as 2/(1+X), where X is the mass fraction of hydrogen. The problem also provides the equations for mu_e and baryon rest mass, and asks for an approximation for the mass of heavier atomic species. The solution involves finding the definitions for X and Y, and using them to determine the number of electrons per baryon, Y_e, in a mixture of hydrogen and helium nuclei. The equation for Y_e is given by Y_e = (n_H + Z_He * n_He) / (n_H + n_He * A_He), where n_H and n_
Vrbic

Homework Statement

Exercise 2.6 (page 28)
Consider completely ionized matter consisting of hydrogen, helium, and heavier atomic species i>2. Let X and Y denote the fractions by mass of hydrogen and helium, respectively. Show that
[itex]\mu_e=\frac{2}{1+X}.[/itex]
Approximate [itex]m_i=A_i m_u [/itex] for all i, and take [itex]Z_i/A_i=1/2[/itex] for i>1.

Homework Equations

[itex]\mu_e=\frac{m_B}{m_uY_e} \\
m_B=\frac{\sum{n_i m_i}}{\sum{n_i A_i}}[/itex] baryon rest mass, where [itex]m_u [/itex] is mass of nucleon, [itex]Y_e=Z/A [/itex] is number of electrons per baryon.

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't find definition of X and Y but I suppose [itex]X=m_H/m_{tot} = [/itex]. I am quit confused so I can't realize how proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vrbic said:
I didn't find definition of X and Y
It is defined in the problem statement, and you found the right formula.
$$\mu_e=\frac{m_B}{m_uY_e}$$
This is for a single element. For the total mixture, you'll need a weighted average.

Here is an easier version of the problem: if you have 200 hydrogen nuclei and 100 helium nuclei, how many electrons per baryon do you have, and what is the mass fraction of hydrogen?
What about 100 and 100 nuclei? Or arbitrary numbers?

mfb said:
Or arbitrary numbers?
For Hydrogen: [tex]M_H=n_H m_u[/tex], for Helium: [tex]M_{He}=n_{He}A_{He}m_{He}[/tex] Than
[tex]X=\frac{n_H m_u}{n_H m_u+n_{He}A_{He}m_{u}}=\frac{n_H}{n_H+n_{He}A_{He}}[/tex] and [tex]Y=\frac{n_{He} m_u}{n_H m_u+n_{He}A_{He}m_{u}}=\frac{n_{He}}{n_H+n_{He}A_{He}}[/tex].
So than I mean amount eletroncs per baryon is [tex]Y_e=\frac{n_{H}+Z_{He}n_{He}}{n_H +n_{He}A_{He}}=\frac{n_{H}+n_{He}A_{He}/2}{n_H+n_{He}A_{He}}[/tex]. Ok?

Related to Black holes, white dwarfs and neutron star - Shapiro, Teukolsky

1. What are black holes, white dwarfs, and neutron stars?

Black holes, white dwarfs, and neutron stars are all types of astronomical objects that are formed from the collapse of massive stars. Black holes are objects with such strong gravitational pull that nothing, including light, can escape from them. White dwarfs are the remnants of low to medium mass stars that have exhausted their nuclear fuel and collapsed under their own gravity. Neutron stars are the extremely dense remnants of supernova explosions, consisting mostly of neutrons.

2. How are black holes, white dwarfs, and neutron stars related?

Black holes, white dwarfs, and neutron stars are all related in that they are all formed from the collapse of massive stars. They are also all incredibly dense objects, with black holes being the most dense, followed by neutron stars and then white dwarfs. Additionally, all three objects have strong gravitational fields due to their mass and compactness.

3. What are the properties of black holes?

Black holes have several properties that make them unique and fascinating objects in the universe. These include their event horizon, which marks the point of no return for anything that crosses it, their singularity, which is a point of infinite density at the center of the black hole, and their strong gravitational pull, which can distort the fabric of space-time.

4. How are black holes, white dwarfs, and neutron stars studied?

Black holes, white dwarfs, and neutron stars can be studied through various methods, including observations using telescopes and other instruments, computer simulations, and theoretical models. Scientists also study the effects of these objects on their surroundings, such as the gravitational lensing of light by black holes and the accretion disks that form around them.

5. What is the Shapiro effect?

The Shapiro effect, named after scientists Irwin Shapiro and Robert Teukolsky, is a phenomenon that occurs near massive objects like black holes, white dwarfs, and neutron stars. It is the bending of light as it passes through the curved space-time around these objects, which causes a delay in the arrival time of the light. This effect has been observed and confirmed by scientists, providing further evidence for the existence of these objects.