Black Powder Combustion: Balanced Chemical Equations with State Symbols

• Thread starter Orion78
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Powder
In summary, there are two possible reactions that can occur during the combustion of black powder. The first reaction involves the decomposition of potassium nitrate to form solid potassium oxide, nitrogen gas, and oxygen gas. The second reaction involves a reaction between potassium nitrate, sulfur, and carbon to produce solid potassium sulfide, nitrogen gas, and carbon dioxide gas. Both equations are balanced, but the state symbols may not be completely accurate. Further research is needed to fully understand the combustion characteristics of black powder.
Orion78
I have to write two balanced chemical equations for two reactions, including the state symbols.

By knowing that Black Powder is a mixture of solid potassium nitrate (KNO3), sulfur (S) powder and carbon (C), in the form of charcoal, one possible reaction occurring during the combustion of black powder is the breaking down (decomposition) of potassium nitrate to form solid potassium oxide, nitrogen gas and oxygen gas:

I wrote:
2KNO3 (s) + S (s) + C (s) K2O (s) + 2N (g) + 3O2 (g) + S (s) + C (s)

Another possible reaction occurring during the combustion of black powder is a reaction between potassium nitrate, sulfur and carbon to produce solid potassium sulfide, nitrogen gas and carbon dioxide gas:

I wrote:
2KNO3 (s) + S (s) + 3C (s) K2S (s) + 2N (g) + 3CO2 (g)

The equations are balanced but I am not sure about the state symbols. Can I have a confirm about it? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is black powder combustion?

Black powder combustion is the chemical reaction that occurs when black powder, also known as gunpowder, is ignited. It is a highly exothermic reaction that produces a large amount of heat and gas, which can be used to power firearms, fireworks, and other pyrotechnic devices.

2. How does black powder combustion work?

Black powder combustion is a type of chemical reaction called a deflagration, which means it propagates through a substance at a subsonic speed. When black powder is ignited, the heat generated causes the potassium nitrate, sulfur, and charcoal to rapidly oxidize, producing carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, and nitrogen gas. This expansion of gases creates the characteristic loud bang and forceful push that is used to propel projectiles or create visual displays.

3. Is black powder combustion dangerous?

Black powder combustion can be dangerous if not handled properly. The rapid release of gases and heat can cause burns, and the explosion can cause damage to surroundings. It is important to follow all safety precautions and handle black powder with caution.

4. Can black powder combustion be controlled?

Yes, black powder combustion can be controlled to a certain extent. The rate of combustion can be influenced by the size and shape of the powder grains, as well as the amount of confinement. However, it is not as easily controlled as other types of combustion, such as in internal combustion engines.

5. What are the main uses of black powder combustion?

Black powder combustion has historically been used for military and hunting purposes, but it is now primarily used in recreational activities such as shooting, fireworks, and special effects. It is also used in some industrial applications, such as mining and quarrying, as a blasting agent.