Blackbody radiation in quantum mechanics

In summary, the interaction of particles with a thermal bath, such as blackbody radiation, tends to result in an incoherent state where particles are in a mixture of different energy levels. This is due to the random and macroscopic nature of the interactions, which tend to destroy coherence. In practical applications, this can lead to loss of precision and stability, as seen in atomic clocks. While it is theoretically possible for a coherent superposition to form after a long interaction time, it is highly unlikely due to the scrambling effect of broadband, incoherent light on coherent information. A mathematical argument can be made to prove this, but further research is needed.
Malamala
Hello! If I place a particle with more energy levels (of the order of kT) in a well defined state, in a thermal bath at temperature T, how will the blackbody radiation affect the internal state of the particle i.e. will the distribution be classical or QM? Basically, if I prepare that particle in that state, let it there a long enough time and measure it and I repeat this many times, I expect the populated energy levels to be given by a Boltzman distribution. In the end, did each particle have a well defined energy, but different particles had different energies. Or all the particles ended up in the same superposition of different energies with weights given by the Boltzman distribution, and when I measure them I make the energy collapse according to that weight? So, is the particle after that interaction with the thermal bath in a well defined state or in a superposition? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Malamala said:
So, is the particle after that interaction with the thermal bath in a well defined state or in a superposition?
As a (very very good) rule of thumb, the final state will be an incoherent state (a mixed state where the off-diagonals of the density matrix, i.e. the coherences, tend to zero). However, if you do this with atoms in cavities, things get a little weird. I'm not an expert, but there are more complications to consider in that case.

In general, interactions with random, macroscopic noise sources tends to destroy coherence.

To put your question in a practical context, blackbody radiation is a major source of instability in atomic clocks. The interaction of the blackbody photons with the atoms results in dephasing, which shows up in Rabi or Ramsey sequences as decoherence (loss of contrast). This is why blackbody shielding is a key ingredient in any precision spectroscopy experiment.

Twigg said:
As a (very very good) rule of thumb, the final state will be an incoherent state (a mixed state where the off-diagonals of the density matrix, i.e. the coherences, tend to zero). However, if you do this with atoms in cavities, things get a little weird. I'm not an expert, but there are more complications to consider in that case.

In general, interactions with random, macroscopic noise sources tends to destroy coherence.

To put your question in a practical context, blackbody radiation is a major source of instability in atomic clocks. The interaction of the blackbody photons with the atoms results in dephasing, which shows up in Rabi or Ramsey sequences as decoherence (loss of contrast). This is why blackbody shielding is a key ingredient in any precision spectroscopy experiment.
To give an actual example, say I place a molecule in a Penning trap, in the ground vibrational state (by vibrational I mean CM vibrations), and in the ground internal vibrational and electronic state and J = 5. If the walls of the trap have a temperature T and I somehow check the J state after a time long enough for BB radiation to matter but shorter than the decay lifetime of the state, and say I find J=4, is the molecule fully in that state, as it was in J=5 initially (e.g. by stimulated emission due to the BB photons), or it is somehow a linear combination of J=4, J=5 and eventually other J values, and I just happened to make the wavefunction collapse in J=4?

Malamala said:
it is somehow a linear combination of J=4, J=5 and eventually other J values, and I just happened to make the wavefunction collapse in J=4?
It is theoretically possible but extremely statistically unlikely for blackbody radiation to cause a coherent superposition after a long interaction time. You will most likely find your single molecule classically in one J state or the other. The reason for this is that broadband, incoherent light tends to scramble superpositions (or any coherent information, for that matter). There is a way to prove this, but I'm a bit fuzzy on the details. Let me know if you're interested in a mathematical argument and I'll try to dig it up.

Twigg said:
It is theoretically possible but extremely statistically unlikely for blackbody radiation to cause a coherent superposition after a long interaction time. You will most likely find your single molecule classically in one J state or the other. The reason for this is that broadband, incoherent light tends to scramble superpositions (or any coherent information, for that matter). There is a way to prove this, but I'm a bit fuzzy on the details. Let me know if you're interested in a mathematical argument and I'll try to dig it up.
Thanks a lot, that makes sense. And sure, if you can I would like to see a derivation of that.

1. What is blackbody radiation in quantum mechanics?

Blackbody radiation is the electromagnetic radiation emitted by a perfect blackbody, which is an idealized object that absorbs and emits all radiation that falls on it. In quantum mechanics, blackbody radiation is explained by the concept of energy levels and the quantization of energy.

2. How is blackbody radiation related to temperature?

The intensity and wavelength distribution of blackbody radiation are both dependent on the temperature of the object. As the temperature increases, the intensity of the radiation also increases, and the peak of the wavelength distribution shifts to shorter wavelengths.

3. What is the Planck's law of blackbody radiation?

Planck's law of blackbody radiation is a mathematical expression that describes the intensity and wavelength distribution of blackbody radiation. It states that the intensity of the radiation at a given wavelength is proportional to the inverse of the wavelength and the temperature of the object.

4. How does blackbody radiation support the concept of quantization in quantum mechanics?

In classical physics, the intensity of blackbody radiation would increase infinitely as the wavelength decreases. However, in quantum mechanics, the energy levels of the blackbody are quantized, meaning that only certain discrete energy values are allowed. This explains the observed phenomenon of the peak of the wavelength distribution shifting to shorter wavelengths as the temperature increases, rather than increasing infinitely.

5. What is the significance of blackbody radiation in modern physics?

Blackbody radiation was one of the first phenomena to be explained by quantum mechanics, and it played a crucial role in the development of the theory. It also has practical applications in fields such as astrophysics, where the study of blackbody radiation from celestial bodies can provide valuable information about their temperature and composition.