Bloch functions in Kronig-Penney model

In summary, the conversation discusses the interpretation of Bloch's Theorem in the context of the Kronig-Penney model and the solutions of the Schrodinger equation. The e^ikx term is considered the "envelope" for the solution, while the u_k(x) term is the periodic function that modulates the wavefunction with the same periodicity as the lattice. The lower energy band is characterized by a 1/2 wave envelope, while the higher energy band has a 1 wavelength envelope. The bands consist of all the k-points in the first Brillouin zone and the probability density is used to analyze the shapes of the wavefunctions in the bands.
joel.martens
I'm writing a report for a computer lab where we ran simulations of the wavefunction of an electron in an array of square wells as per the Kronig-Penney model and I'm just looking for some verification of my interpretation of Bloch's Theorem as it applies to the solutions of the schrodinger equation in this case.

Homework Equations

ψ_k (x)=u_k (x)e^ikx , solution to the SE for the periodic potential.

The Attempt at a Solution

My understanding of it is that the e^ikx is the 'envelope' for the solution and takes the shape of the solution of the SE for an equivalent single well and the u_k(x) is the periodic function that modulates the wavefunction with the same periodicity of the lattice.
So for the lower energy band, is the envelope function the familiar 1/2 wave for all states in the lower band and the 1 wavelength wavfunction the envelope for all the states in the higher band?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure what you are saying, but a band is made up of all the k-points in the first Brillouin zone. So you can't say a band is just 1 k-point.

Thats my poor explanation of the problem sorry, i get that the bands are a continuum of states from the k-points in the Brillouin zone. I was asking more about the exact meanings of the two parts of the Bloch function and how they relate to the shapes of the wavefunctions in the bands.

Usually you look at the probability density, which is just [tex]\left|\Psi_{nk}(x)\right|^2[/tex]. So the phase factor out front disappears and you are just left with the periodic charge density [tex]\left|u_{nk}(x)\right|^2[/tex]. And the shape of that depends on the potential.

1. What is the Kronig-Penney model and how does it relate to Bloch functions?

The Kronig-Penney model is a theoretical model used in solid state physics to describe the behavior of electrons in a periodic potential. It is based on the concept of Bloch functions, which are wavefunctions that describe the behavior of electrons in a periodic potential.

2. What are Bloch functions and how are they used in the Kronig-Penney model?

Bloch functions are wavefunctions that describe the behavior of electrons in a periodic potential. They are used in the Kronig-Penney model to calculate the energy levels and wavefunctions of electrons in a periodic potential.

3. How do the energy levels of electrons in the Kronig-Penney model relate to the periodic potential?

The energy levels of electrons in the Kronig-Penney model are determined by the periodic potential. As the potential changes, the energy levels also change, resulting in a band structure of allowed and forbidden energy levels.

4. What is the significance of the band structure in the Kronig-Penney model?

The band structure in the Kronig-Penney model represents the allowed and forbidden energy levels for electrons in a periodic potential. This structure is important in understanding the behavior of electrons in materials, as it determines their electrical and optical properties.

5. How do the Bloch functions in the Kronig-Penney model differ from those in other models?

The Bloch functions in the Kronig-Penney model are unique in that they are used to describe the behavior of electrons in a periodic potential. In other models, Bloch functions may be used to describe different physical systems, such as the behavior of light in a periodic medium.