Block moving up an incline with friction

In summary, a block of mass m with a speed of 5.7 m/s encounters a slope with an angle of 11 degrees and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.26. Using a free body diagram and the equations for kinetic friction and energy, the block travels a distance of 3.7 meters up the incline.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

A block of mass m is moving along a horizontal frictionless surface with a speed of 5.7 m/s. The block encounters a slope which it travels up. If the slope is 11 degrees and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the incline is 0.26, how far does the block travel up the incline?

Homework Equations

fk = uk*Fn

K1 + U1+ Wother = K2 + U2

The Attempt at a Solution

Using a free body diagram I found the normal force, Fn, to be

Fn - mgcos(11) =0
Fn = 2.50119

Then using K1 + U1 + Wother = K2 + U2

1/2*m*v^2 - 2.50119m = 9.8*m*h

I solved for h to find the height that the block travels up the ramp
h = 1.40243 m

Then using SOHCAHTOA I solved for the length of the ramp that the block traveled:
1.40243/sin(11) = 7.34992m

I know the answer should be 3.7 meters but I don't know where I'm going wrong.

Likes Bassim Kiani
Physics news on Phys.org
Northbysouth said:

Homework Statement

A block of mass m is moving along a horizontal frictionless surface with a speed of 5.7 m/s. The block encounters a slope which it travels up. If the slope is 11 degrees and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the incline is 0.26, how far does the block travel up the incline?

Homework Equations

fk = uk*Fn

K1 + U1+ Wother = K2 + U2

The Attempt at a Solution

Using a free body diagram I found the normal force, Fn, to be

Fn - mgcos(11) =0
Fn = 2.50119

Then using K1 + U1 + Wother = K2 + U2

1/2*m*v^2 - 2.50119m = 9.8*m*h

I solved for h to find the height that the block travels up the ramp
h = 1.40243 m

Then using SOHCAHTOA I solved for the length of the ramp that the block traveled:
1.40243/sin(11) = 7.34992m

I know the answer should be 3.7 meters but I don't know where I'm going wrong.

I think your "value" of Fn should have an m in it [you had it in later so probably just a typo] HOWEVER, 11 degrees is quite a slight slope, so I think the normal force should be much closer to that from a horizontal surface. not the full 9.8m, but probably not below 8m. Was your calculator set to degrees when you found cos(11)?

I would probably calculate how much energy is lost to friction and converted to Potential energy [mgh] for each metre traveled up the slope, then by comparison to the initial Kinetic energy. compute how many metres along the slope it would go.

I've made a mistake with my labeling. Fn = 2.50119m is actually Fn*uk = fk. So I actually mean that fk = 2.50119.

I Fn = 9.61995m

If I labelled the distance that the block goes up the slope D, do I need to multiple my value of fk by D?

Northbysouth said:
I've made a mistake with my labeling. Fn = 2.50119m is actually Fn*uk = fk. So I actually mean that fk = 2.50119.

I Fn = 9.61995m

If I labelled the distance that the block goes up the slope D, do I need to multiple my value of fk by D?

Yeah. The work done by friction is equal to the frictional force multiplied by the distance over which it acts. In this case, that's the distance along the incline that the object travels.

I've got it now:

1/2*m*(5.7)^2 - 0.26*m*9.8*cos(11)*d= 9.8*m*dsin(11)
16.245 = 4.37112d

d=16.245/4.37112
d= 3.7 m

where d is the distance the block travels up the ramp.

Thanks for your help.

1. What is the purpose of studying block movement up an incline with friction?

The purpose of studying block movement up an incline with friction is to understand the principles of motion, forces, and energy in physics. This scenario is a common example used to demonstrate the application of these principles in real-world situations.

2. What factors affect the movement of a block up an incline with friction?

The factors that affect the movement of a block up an incline with friction include the mass of the block, the angle of the incline, the coefficient of friction between the block and the incline, and the force applied to the block.

3. How does friction play a role in block movement up an incline?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of the block on the incline. It acts in the opposite direction of the motion and is influenced by the type of surface and the force pressing the surfaces together. Friction plays a significant role in slowing down the block's movement and can determine whether the block will stay in place or slide down the incline.

4. How does the angle of the incline affect the block's movement?

The angle of the incline affects the block's movement by changing the force of gravity acting on the block. As the angle increases, the component of gravity pulling the block down the incline increases, making it harder for the block to move up the incline. This is because the force of gravity is acting perpendicular to the incline, which reduces the force available to move the block up the incline.

5. How can the energy of the block be calculated in this scenario?

The total energy of the block in this scenario can be calculated by adding the potential energy and kinetic energy. The potential energy is calculated using the block's mass, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height of the incline. The kinetic energy is calculated using the block's mass and its velocity. The sum of these two energies is equal to the total mechanical energy of the block.