Block of a covariance matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses a math problem involving a covariance block matrix and the relation between its eigenvectors and those of its blocks. The speaker is seeking suggestions for an alternative approach to solving the problem.
GoodSpirit
Hello everybody,

I’d like to present this math problem that I’ve trying to solve…
This matter is important because the covariance matrix is widely use and this leads to new interpretations of the cross covariance matrices.
Considering the following covariance block matrix :
[tex]
\begin{equation}
M=\begin{bmatrix}
S1 &C \\
C^T &S2 \\
\end{bmatrix}
\end{equation}
[/tex]

The matrix S1 and S2 are symmetric and positive semi-definite.C is also positive semi-definite
What I am trying figure out is :
1- I would like to discover the relation between the eigenvector of M and the eigen vectors of S1 and S2.
2- Discover the relation between the eigenvector of the matricez S1,S2 and C.
I used the eigendecomposition but it lead to a very complicated expressions…
Could you help me suggesting another approach?

I really thank you!

All the best

GoodSpirit

Physics news on Phys.org
Only possibility which I can think of, is to write the basis according to the blocks, and solve
$$
M\begin{bmatrix}x\\y\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}S_1& C\\ C^T&S_2 \end{bmatrix}\cdot \begin{bmatrix}x\\y\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}S_1x+Cy\\C^Tx+S_2y\end{bmatrix} =\begin{bmatrix}\lambda x\\ \lambda y\end{bmatrix}
$$
which means to look for inverses of your blocks.

What is a block of a covariance matrix?

A block of a covariance matrix is a submatrix that represents the covariance between a subset of variables in a larger covariance matrix. It is used to analyze the relationships between specific variables within a larger dataset.

How is a block of a covariance matrix calculated?

A block of a covariance matrix is calculated by selecting the rows and columns of the variables of interest from the larger covariance matrix, and then calculating the covariance between those variables. This can be done using mathematical formulas or specialized software programs.

What information can be obtained from a block of a covariance matrix?

A block of a covariance matrix provides information about the relationships between the variables included in the submatrix. It can help identify patterns, correlations, and dependencies among the variables, and can be used to make predictions or draw conclusions about the data.

How is a block of a covariance matrix used in data analysis?

A block of a covariance matrix is often used in conjunction with other statistical techniques to analyze and interpret data. It can be used to identify important variables, detect outliers or anomalies, and determine the strength and direction of relationships between variables.

What are some limitations of using a block of a covariance matrix?

One limitation of using a block of a covariance matrix is that it assumes a linear relationship between variables, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it can be affected by outliers or missing data, and may not accurately capture complex relationships between variables.