Block Time & Action at a Distance

• I
  • Thread starter InterestedParty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block Time
In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of block time and its relation to entanglement in quantum mechanics. It was concluded that block time does not support action-at-a-distance and it raises philosophical questions rather than making a meaningful difference in physics. The lack of an absolute universal "now" is important for entanglement as it is not possible to say unambiguously which particle is measured first, making it impossible to conclude that one causes the other.
InterestedParty
TL;DR Summary
Block Time and entanglement
Sorry, for the lack of correct terminology - this may be answered elsewhere on the forum, I haven't been able to find it.

If the Universe is in Einstein's 'Block Time', then does this provide a mechanism for 'action at a distance'? Rather than a particle being split and entangled, if viewed in Block Time it would look like one particle being stretched (a single line), not two separate particles. As such it always remain in contact with itself and account for the interaction.

Physics news on Phys.org
InterestedParty said:
Summary:: Block Time and entanglement

Sorry, for the lack of correct terminology - this may be answered elsewhere on the forum, I haven't been able to find it.

If the Universe is in Einstein's 'Block Time', then does this provide a mechanism for 'action at a distance'? Rather than a particle being split and entangled, if viewed in Block Time it would look like one particle being stretched (a single line), not two separate particles. As such it always remain in contact with itself and account for the interaction.
Your question is based on a misunderstanding of block time. It supports neither action-at-a-distance, nor does it explain entanglement.

Likes Demystifier and InterestedParty
LOL! Thanks for taking the time to respond, I appreciate it:)

Could I just ask: if time *were* viewed as all future and past permanently existing in the same moment, is there a QM way of describing that as a concept?

InterestedParty said:
Could I just ask: if time *were* viewed as all future and past permanently existing in the same moment, is there a QM way of describing that as a concept?
That's exactly what block time isn't. See the bit I've highlighted. There's no sense in which the entire spacetime exists at a moment in time. Time itself is part of the block universe. Causality and the flow of time, as measured by the evolution of physical processes, is not affected by the concept.

In fact, the block universe raises philosophical questions rather than makes any meaningful difference to physics. Whether or not the universe is a block universe is not something that can be tested. It's more of a metaphysical interpretation of the theory of relativity and the nature of spacetime.

Last edited:
Likes InterestedParty
PS The thing to learn from relativity is that the concept of a universal "now" is meaningless - which is what allows the block universe interpretation in the first place. The problems start when you then forget this and imbue an arbitrary "universal now" with some physical significance.

Likes InterestedParty
Thanks again. I understand that that's what block time isn't, I was just wondering if there was anything like it in QM, but you've answered my question.

InterestedParty said:
Thanks again. I understand that that's what block time isn't, I was just wondering if there was anything like it in QM, but you've answered my question.
The lack of an absolute universal now is important for entanglement as follows:

If entangled particles are separated by a sufficient distance, then (*) it is not possible to say unambiguously which one is measured first. If someone proposes, therefore, a mechanism by which the particle that gets measured first sends a message to the other particle, then it's not possible even to say which particle is supposed to be sending the message.

(*) To be more precise, you can conduct the experiment in such a way that it is not possible to say unambiguously which one is measured first. Technically this means that the measurement events must be spacelike separated.

Last edited:
Likes lomidrevo and InterestedParty
Ahhhh, that makes sense, thanks, a good summation:)

PeroK said:
The lack of an absolute universal now is important for entanglement as follows:

If entangled particles are separated by a sufficient distance, then it is not possible to say unambiguously which one is measured first. If someone proposes, therefore, a mechanism by which the particle that gets measured first sends a message to the other particle, then it's not possible even to say which particle is supposed to be sending the message.

Not disputing this, but pointing out an additional point: You can certainly unambiguously measure one before the other. But there is no observable difference possible from the predictions of QM. It is not possible to conclude that A causes B any more than you say B causes A : except by assumption.

@InterestedParty : There is an interpretation of QM that features elements of block time. That interpretation is best discussed in the PF subforum on quantum interpretations. The interpretation is called Relational BlockWorld (RBW), and is quite sophisticated. See this breezy 47 page intro: https://arxiv.org/abs/0908.4348

Likes InterestedParty and PeroK
DrChinese said:
You can certainly unambiguously measure one before the other. But there is no observable difference possible from the predictions of QM. It is not possible to conclude that A causes B any more than you say B causes A : except by assumption.
Good point. I've clarified that post.

Likes InterestedParty and DrChinese
DrChinese said:
Not disputing this, but pointing out an additional point: You can certainly unambiguously measure one before the other. But there is no observable difference possible from the predictions of QM. It is not possible to conclude that A causes B any more than you say B causes A : except by assumption.

@InterestedParty : There is an interpretation of QM that features elements of block time. That interpretation is best discussed in the PF subforum on quantum interpretations. The interpretation is called Relational BlockWorld (RBW), and is quite sophisticated. See this breezy 47 page intro: https://arxiv.org/abs/0908.4348
'Breezy' indeed, thanks for the link and the directtion:)

1. What is block time?

Block time is a concept in the philosophy of time that suggests that time is made up of discrete, indivisible blocks rather than being continuous. This means that the past, present, and future all exist simultaneously, and the passage of time is simply the movement from one block to the next.

2. How does block time relate to action at a distance?

In the theory of block time, all events and actions are predetermined and fixed within their respective blocks. This means that any apparent action at a distance, such as the influence of one object on another without physical contact, is simply the result of the predetermined nature of the universe and not a true violation of causality.

3. What is the scientific evidence for block time?

There is currently no scientific evidence for the existence of block time. It is a philosophical concept that is not testable or falsifiable through scientific methods. However, some theories in physics, such as the theory of relativity, suggest that time may not be as continuous as we perceive it to be.

4. Can block time and action at a distance be reconciled with quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of particles at a subatomic level, does not support the concept of block time. In fact, it suggests that the future is not predetermined and that particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously. However, some interpretations of quantum mechanics, such as the Many-Worlds Interpretation, propose a block-like structure to the universe.

5. How does block time impact our understanding of free will?

Block time suggests that all events and actions are predetermined, which may challenge the concept of free will. If the future already exists, then our choices and actions may be predetermined and not truly free. However, some philosophers argue that free will can still exist within the framework of block time, as our choices are still determined by our own desires and motivations within each block of time.