Blood flow velocity via Doppler effect

In summary, a Doppler flow meter with a frequency of 12 MHz is used to measure the speed of red blood cells. The sensor in the apparatus measures 1.8 kHz beats between the emitted frequency and the frequency of the ultrasound reflected back by the blood cells. The speed of sound in blood is 1520 m/s. The solution provided for calculating the velocity of the blood cells does not make sense and it is more logical to consider the blood cells at rest and the emitter/receiver in motion at the same speed as the blood cells. The correct solution would be to use the equation v = (f_b / 2f_e) v_w, where v is the velocity of the blood cells, f_b is the frequency
FranzDiCoccio

Homework Statement

A Doppler flow meter is used to measure the speed of red blood cells.
The frequency of the apparatus is f = 12 MHz. The sensor in the apparatus measure 1.8 kHz beats between the emitted frequency and the frequency of the ultrasound reflected back by the blood cells.
The speed of sound in blood is 1520 m/s.

Homework Equations

General formula for the Doppler effect:

[tex]f_r = f_e \frac{1\pm \frac{v_r}{v_w}}{1\pm \frac{v_e}{v_w}}[/tex]

where [itex]e[/itex] is for "emitter", [itex]r[/itex] is for "receiver" and [itex]w[/itex] is for "wave", and the sign must be chosen appropriately.
EDIT: the problem assumes that everything happens in 1D, that's why I'm using this formula.Frequency of the beats between two different frequencies.

[tex]f_b = |f_1-f_2|[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this problem is a bit tricky. In fact, I suspect that the solution I was provided is correct, but its derivation may be wrong.

I think that the blood cells should be considered at rest, and the emitter/receiver should be considered in motion with the same speed as the blood. This is because I think the Doppler effect formula makes sense in the frame of reference of the medium (blood).
Then, if my assumption is correct, the frequency "received" by the blood cells is
[tex]f_r = f_e \frac{1}{1\pm\frac{v}{v_w}}[/tex]
where the sign is - if the blood cells are approaching the flow meter and + otherwise. This because the emitter (flow meter) is in motion.
The blood cells reflect back the waves with the same frequency as they were received. Since the flow meters which receives the reflected waves is in motion, one gets
[tex]f_r' = f_e \frac{1\mp\frac{v}{v_w}}{1\pm\frac{v}{v_w}}[/tex]
where the minus in the denominator corresponds to the plus in the numerator, and the other way round.

The equation for the beats can be inverted for [itex]v[/itex] with a little algebra, which gives
[tex]v= v_w \frac{f_b }{2f_e \pm f_b}[/tex]

The solution I was given is basically the same
[tex]v = \frac{f_b}{2 f_e} v_w [/tex]
because the [itex]f_b[/itex] term in my denominator is negligible.

However the reason provided for this solution does not convince me, because it is based on the equations
[tex]f_r = f_e (1\pm\frac{v}{v_w})[/tex]
[tex]f_r' = f_e (1\mp\frac{v}{v_w})[/tex]
[tex]f_b = |f_r-f_r'|[/tex]

While this approach does result in the proposed solution, it does not make any sense, in my opinion.
The second Doppler shift should depend on the first, right? Not simply on the emitted frequency...
Also, why calculating the beats between the Doppler shifted frequencies?
The exercise text says that the beats is between the emitted frequency (unshifted) and the received frequency ("twice" shifted).

Thanks a lot for your help.
Franz

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are correct. I cannot see the logic behind the provided solution.

1. What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is a phenomenon that occurs when there is a relative motion between a source of waves and an observer. This causes a perceived change in frequency of the waves, which can be observed as a change in pitch or frequency for sound waves, and a change in wavelength for light waves.

2. How does the Doppler effect apply to blood flow velocity measurement?

In the context of blood flow velocity measurement, the Doppler effect is used to measure the speed at which red blood cells are moving in a particular blood vessel. This is done by emitting ultrasonic waves from a probe and measuring the frequency shift of the waves as they bounce off the moving blood cells.

3. What are the advantages of using the Doppler effect for blood flow velocity measurement?

The Doppler effect allows for non-invasive measurement of blood flow velocity, meaning that there is no need to insert any instruments into the body. It is also a relatively quick and painless procedure, making it a preferred method for monitoring blood flow in real-time.

4. Are there any limitations or potential errors in using the Doppler effect for blood flow velocity measurement?

Yes, there are a few limitations to consider when using the Doppler effect for blood flow velocity measurement. One potential error is the angle of the probe, as a misaligned angle can cause inaccurate results. There is also a limit to the depth at which the Doppler effect can accurately measure blood flow velocity.

5. How is the data from Doppler effect blood flow velocity measurements interpreted?

The data from Doppler effect blood flow velocity measurements is typically presented as a waveform, with the amplitude and frequency of the waves corresponding to the velocity of the blood flow. This data can also be used to calculate other important parameters, such as resistance and pulsatility index, which can provide further insights into the health of the blood vessels.