Blowing up hydrogen and oxygen falls under what?

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a hydrogen-powered propulsion system and the calculations needed to determine the amount of energy and kinetic energy it can produce. The fields of mathematics, rocket science, and chemistry are mentioned as potential areas of study for finding the answers. Fuel cells and the Space Shuttle Main Engine are also mentioned as existing examples of hydrogen propulsion. The conversation ends with a mention of the need to calculate trajectories and distances, and a thank you to everyone except one individual.
AntiChrist
A hearty hello to all you admirable brainiacs. As this is my first post here it not coincidentally asks advice. I'm interested in creating a propulsion system fueled by hydrogen. I understand that hydrogen mixed with oxygen is explosive, but I need to calculate the exact amount of energy which can be derived from named explosion. I don't know what field of study besides mathematics contains the answer to my quandary. Is it rocket science that I need to look into? Or is it chemistry? I have a feeling it is both, but I don't know under what heading to look.

A more practical explanation of my question: If I had 1 mol of H2. (Hydrogen gas), how much energy can be produced in combustion? And then from energy how much kinetic energy can be produced on an object weighing x.

If my question is not clear please say so. Thanks in advance,

The Third Anti-Christ.:devil:

Physics news on Phys.org
AntiChrist said:
A hearty hello to all you admirable brainiacs. As this is my first post here it not coincidentally asks advice. I'm interested in creating a propulsion system fueled by hydrogen. I understand that hydrogen mixed with oxygen is explosive, but I need to calculate the exact amount of energy which can be derived from named explosion. I don't know what field of study besides mathematics contains the answer to my quandary. Is it rocket science that I need to look into? Or is it chemistry? I have a feeling it is both, but I don't know under what heading to look.

A more practical explanation of my question: If I had 1 mol of H2. (Hydrogen gas), how much energy can be produced in combustion? And then from energy how much kinetic energy can be produced on an object weighing x.

If my question is not clear please say so. Thanks in advance,

The Third Anti-Christ.:devil:

I WON'T SUPPORT YOUR TERRORIST WAYS

(or do you homework for you, sly)

If you have 1 mol of H2, you need 1/2 mol O2. Look up the enthalpy values of H2, O2, and H2O, and you can calculate how much energy you can theoretically get (I assume here you've dealt with enthalpy).

It's not the best estimate, but it's really simple

AntiChrist said:

This is a standard chemistry problem, and yes hydrogen can be explosively combustible, but it is the source of energy in LH2/LOX (liquid) propuslion systems like the Space Shuttle Main Engine, which actually uses a hydrogen rich mixture to increase specific impluse.

There is not need to develop a hydrogen propulsion since it already exists. Fuel cells also use hydrogen oxidation, but in a non-explosive process.

I WON'T SUPPORT YOUR TERRORIST WAYS

(or do you homework for you, sly)

Erroneous on both accounts!

(I assume here you've dealt with enthalpy).

Do you mean enthropy? I've never delt with enthalpy, but I'll look into it.
Fuel cells also use hydrogen oxidation, but in a non-explosive process.

True, but it is hard to build a rocket like propulsion system with electricity. (Correct me if I'm wrong). I think I need either the LH2 or the hydrogen combustion. But I must be able to calculate trajectories and distances, which is why I am asking guidance.

Thanks to everyone except Pythagorean,

Related to Blowing up hydrogen and oxygen falls under what?

1. What is the chemical reaction when hydrogen and oxygen are blown up together?

The chemical reaction that occurs when hydrogen and oxygen are blown up together is called combustion. It is a highly exothermic reaction that releases a large amount of energy in the form of heat and light.

2. Is blowing up hydrogen and oxygen a safe experiment?

Blowing up hydrogen and oxygen can be dangerous if not done properly. The reaction can produce a large explosion, so it is important to follow safety precautions and conduct the experiment in a controlled environment.

3. What is the purpose of blowing up hydrogen and oxygen?

The purpose of blowing up hydrogen and oxygen is to demonstrate the explosive nature of the reaction and to study the properties of the resulting products. It is also commonly used as a source of energy, such as in rocket fuel.

4. How does the ratio of hydrogen to oxygen affect the explosion?

The ratio of hydrogen to oxygen is crucial in determining the size and intensity of the explosion. A ratio of 2:1 (two parts hydrogen to one part oxygen) is the most explosive, while a ratio of 4:1 or higher will result in a slower and less powerful reaction.

5. What other factors can affect the reaction when blowing up hydrogen and oxygen?

Other factors that can affect the reaction include temperature, pressure, and the presence of a catalyst. Increasing the temperature and pressure can speed up the reaction, while a catalyst can lower the activation energy and make the reaction happen more quickly.