Board Breaking: Why Strike Center for Good Break?

In summary, a practitioner of a martial art striking a target of wood or concrete needs to strike as much as possible to the center of a target in order to get good break. The physical reason or formula behind this is because the bending moment is highest when hitting the center.
makamo66
I have read that a practitioner of a martial art striking a target of wood or concrete needs to strike as much as possible to the center of a target in order to get good break. What is the physical reason or formula behind this? I'm thinking maybe you don't want to create a torque.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Short answer: Because the bending moment is highest when hitting the center.

Longer answer: Search simply supported beam moment. The bending stress, which is the stress that breaks the wood/brick, is proportional to the bending moment.

Likes vanhees71 and berkeman
Thanks

Likes berkeman
makamo66 said:
I have read that a practitioner of a martial art striking a target of wood or concrete needs to strike as much as possible to the center of a target in order to get good break.
This probably assumes the board is fixed/supported at the ends. Striking where the board is supported would just compress the board, but it is much easier to break it by bending (see post by @jrmichler)

makamo66 said:
I'm thinking maybe you don't want to create a torque.
For a fixed object, you want to maximize the torques around the support locations. For a free floating object you want avoid the object rotating away from the impact.

Likes vanhees71
makamo66 said:
I'm thinking maybe you don't want to create a torque.
But you do. You want to create the maximum torque, so striking it in the center gives you the largest lever arm and thus the larger torque.

I don't think that's correct. If a force acts on a line through the axis of rotation, it exerts no torque.

makamo66 said:
I don't think that's correct. If a force acts on a line through the axis of rotation, it exerts no torque.
The other answers are correct and you are misunderstanding what the strike looks like, or what the forces look like, one or the other.

Support a board on each end and then strike downward in the middle. That creates max torque because it is removed from the point of rotation by the max amount possible in that configuration.

Torque is the ability to rotate. Striking at the center causes no rotation, so no torque. The moment of inertia is zero because the perpendicular distance of the body from the rotation axis is zero.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy, phinds and berkeman
makamo66 said:
Torque is the ability to rotate. Striking at the center causes no rotation, so no torque. The moment of inertia is zero because the perpendicular distance of the body from the rotation axis is zero.
Well, I guess you should recommend to martial arts experts that they start hitting the board at the point of its support instead of in the middle. Of course, you might not want to hang around after, because once they break their hand, they might decide to break you next.

• Haha
Likes vanhees71
makamo66 said:
In the case of the supported board the center is rotating around both points of support. The signs of the two torques are opposite but there's no rule against that.

The same thing happens with the unsupported board but the two ends of the board are the centers of rotation due to the inertia and bendability of the board.

Likes vanhees71
makamo66 said:
Torque is the ability to rotate.
No. Torque is moment of force (force acting through a perpendicular distance).
makamo66 said:
The moment of inertia is zero because the perpendicular distance of the body from the rotation axis is zero.
Perhaps it is easier if you think that it is the torque from each support (caused admittedly by your pushing the board ) that causes the bending of the board about the hand contact point.

makamo66 said:
Maybe I got confused because the bases of support are at the edges and not at the center.
Imagine sawing the board in half then joining the halves with a hinge, then punching it at the hinge. Each half of the board clearly rotates in that case, and you can trace the torque on each half to the strike of the fist and the reaction force from one support. The same remains true if you use a slightly stiffer hinge, and the original board is identical to the case where the stiffness of the hinge is the same as the board itself. There's still a torque on each half of the board, although it will bend rather than rotating rigidly.

Martial artists may consider sawing the board in half to be cheating. :wink:

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd and berkeman

1. How does board breaking help with self-defense?

Board breaking is a common practice in martial arts and self-defense training. It helps individuals develop power, speed, and accuracy in their strikes, which are essential skills in self-defense situations. By breaking boards, individuals can also build confidence and overcome the fear of physical confrontation.

2. Is board breaking dangerous?

Board breaking can be dangerous if not done properly. It is crucial to have proper training and supervision when attempting to break boards. Individuals should also use the correct technique and protective gear to prevent injury.

3. How do you choose the right board for breaking?

The type of board used for breaking depends on the individual's skill level and the purpose of the break. Beginners typically start with thinner and softer boards, while advanced practitioners may use thicker and harder boards. It is important to choose a board that is not too thick or too thin to avoid injury.

4. What are the benefits of board breaking in martial arts?

Board breaking is a great way to measure progress and improve technique in martial arts. It helps individuals develop focus, concentration, and discipline. Breaking boards also builds strength and coordination, which are essential skills in martial arts.

5. Can anyone learn to break boards?

Yes, anyone can learn to break boards with proper training and technique. However, it is not recommended for children under the age of 5 to attempt board breaking due to the risk of injury. It is also important to have a trained instructor guide individuals through the process to ensure safety and proper technique.