Boat with Friction: CoM / Minimum Time Problem

In summary, the problem involves a person of mass ##m## standing on a boat of mass ##M## and length ##L## initially at rest. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the boat and water is ##\mu##. The person starts moving to the right, and the minimum amount of time for the person to reach the other end of the boat is dependent on the person's speed. The constraint on the person's speed is not specified, but it is necessary for the problem to make sense. Additionally, the continuity of the boat-person interaction is significant. The friction model suggests that if the person accelerates slowly enough, the boat will not move, possibly providing the missing constraint.
quark002

Homework Statement

A person of mass ##m## stands at the left end of a boat of mass ##M## and length ##L##. Both the person and the boat are initially at rest. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the boat and the water is ##\mu##. If the person starts moving to the right, what is the minimum amount of time for the person to reach the other end of the boat? Assume that the interaction between the person and the boat is continuous, as opposed to a discrete series of steps.

Homework Equations

##x_{cm_f} = x_{cm_i} + v_{cm_i}t + \frac{1}{2} a_{cm} t^2##
## v_{cm_f} = v_{cm_i} + a_{cm} t ##
##F_{ext} = (m+M)a_{cm} = (m+M)g\mu ##

Specifically, we have ##v_{cm_i}=0## and (placing the origin at the initial position of the person) ##x_{cm_i} = \frac{L M}{2 (M+m)}## and ##x_{cm_f} = \frac{(L-d)m + (L/2-d)M}{m+M} ## (assuming that the person moves to the right and the boat consequently moves a distance ##d## to the left).

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve for the CoM position as a function of time, but am stuck on how to get the minimum time. I'm guessing it would depend on how fast the person moves. It seems to me that there ought to be some constraint on the person's speed (in order for the problem to make sense), but I can't think of what it could be. Of course, I know that ##(m+M)v_{cm} = mv_{person} + Mv_{boat}##, but I'm not sure how this helps. I also don't understand the significance of the continuity of the boat-person interaction.

Physics news on Phys.org
As you write, the question makes no sense without a constraint on the speed.
I also struggle to understand the "friction" model. It would mean that if the man accelerates slowly enough the boat does not move. Perhaps that's the missing constraint.

1. What is a boat with friction?

A boat with friction refers to a physical model of a boat that takes into account the effects of friction on its movement. This is in contrast to a frictionless boat, which is a simplified model that ignores the impact of friction on the boat's dynamics.

2. What is CoM and how does it relate to a boat with friction?

CoM stands for center of mass, and it refers to the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed. In the context of a boat with friction, the CoM is an important factor in determining the boat's movement as it affects the boat's stability and balance.

3. Why is the minimum time problem important in relation to a boat with friction?

The minimum time problem is an optimization problem that seeks to find the shortest time required to travel from one point to another. In the context of a boat with friction, this problem is important as it helps in determining the most efficient path for the boat to take in order to reach its destination in the shortest amount of time.

4. What are some real-world applications of the boat with friction and the minimum time problem?

The boat with friction model and the minimum time problem have various real-world applications. For example, they can be used in naval operations to optimize the movement of ships, in the design of boats for racing competitions, and in the development of autonomous boats for efficient transportation.

5. What are some challenges in solving the boat with friction CoM/minimum time problem?

One of the main challenges in solving this problem is accurately modeling the effects of friction on the boat's movement. This requires taking into account various factors such as the type of water, wind conditions, and the shape of the boat. Additionally, finding an optimal solution to the minimum time problem can be computationally intensive and may require complex mathematical algorithms.