Bob Ney: Another House leader steps down temporarily

• News
  • Thread starter rachmaninoff
  • Start date
In summary, Rep. Bob Ney, an Ohio Republican and chairman of the House Administration Committee, has announced that he will temporarily step down from his position due to false allegations made against him in a lobbying corruption investigation. The allegations have become a distraction to the important work of the House Republican Conference and the House Administration Committee. Court papers released as part of the investigation detail lavish gifts and contributions given by lobbyist Jack Abramoff to an unnamed House member, identified as Ney. It is speculated that Ney's negative association with the investigation may have a lasting impact on his career.
rachmaninoff
Bob Ney: Another House leader steps down "temporarily"

WASHINGTON - Rep. Bob Ney (news, bio, voting record), an Ohio Republican implicated in a lobbying corruption investigation, said Sunday he will step aside temporarily as chairman of the House Administration Committee.

"Unfortunately it has become clear to me in recent days that the false allegations made against me have become a distraction to the important work of the House Republican Conference and the important work that remains ahead for the House Administration Committee," Ney said in a written statement.
Court papers released as part of Abramoff's plea to charges of conspiracy, mail fraud and income tax evasion detailed lavish gifts and contributions that Abramoff says he gave an unnamed House member, identified elsewhere as Ney.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060116/ap_on_go_co/ney_abramoff" (emphasis mine)

My hat says this one's finished for good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
rachmaninoff said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060116/ap_on_go_co/ney_abramoff" (emphasis mine)

My hat says this one's finished for good.
In view of the obvious conflict of interest, it is correct for him to step down. Is he finished for good? Even if he could vindicate himself, the negative association will have an affect. So I think your hat will be right.

Last edited by a moderator:

I cannot comment on the legal and political implications of Rep. Ney's decision to step down temporarily as chairman of the House Administration Committee. However, I do recognize the importance of maintaining integrity and avoiding conflicts of interest in government positions. It is unfortunate that Rep. Ney's involvement in the lobbying corruption investigation has become a distraction to the important work of the House Republican Conference and the House Administration Committee. Hopefully, with this temporary step down, the focus can shift back to the important work ahead. I will be interested to see how this situation develops and how it may impact the future of Rep. Ney's career in politics.

1. Who is Bob Ney and why did he temporarily step down from his role as House leader?

Bob Ney is a politician who served as a Republican representative from Ohio's 18th congressional district from 1995 to 2006. He temporarily stepped down from his role as House leader due to his involvement in the Jack Abramoff lobbying scandal.

2. How long did Bob Ney serve as House leader before stepping down?

Bob Ney served as House leader for 11 years, from 1995 to 2006, before temporarily stepping down due to the Jack Abramoff lobbying scandal.

3. Has Bob Ney faced any consequences for his involvement in the Jack Abramoff lobbying scandal?

Yes, Bob Ney pleaded guilty in 2006 to corruption charges related to his involvement in the Jack Abramoff lobbying scandal. He served a 30-month prison sentence and was released in 2008.

4. Who replaced Bob Ney as House leader during his temporary absence?

During Bob Ney's temporary absence as House leader, Representative John Boehner of Ohio served as acting Majority Leader.

5. Did Bob Ney return to his role as House leader after his temporary absence?

No, Bob Ney did not return to his role as House leader after his temporary absence. He resigned from Congress in 2006 and was succeeded by Representative Zack Space.