Body connected to two parts of a rope on an inclined plane

In summary, because the pulley fixed to weight A plays a simple role of changing the direction of force, the velocity of ##B## with respect to ##A## is half the velocity of ##A##.
Like Tony Stark
Homework Statement
The picture shows a mass ##A## falling with velocity ##400 cm/s## and acceleration ##16 cm/s^2##.
The mass ##B## is connected to ##A## as depicted in the picture.
Relevant Equations
##V_{B/A}=V_B - V_A
The thing is that my professor said that if the velocity of ##A## is ##400 cm/s##, the velocity of ##B## is ##200 cm/s## because "##B## is connected to two parts of the rope and ##A## is conected just to one part", and he also said that that ##200 cm/s## is the velocity of ##B## with respect to ##A##.
And I didn't understand any of them. Why is the velocity of ##B## half the velocity of ##A##? (I don't understand what the "two parts of the rope" have to do with the velocity)
And why is that velocity the velocity of ##B## with respect to ##A##?

Attachments

• 20190928_222026.jpg
    20190928_222026.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 178
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.
It's a kind of pulley which is usually set vertical but here sloped. Pulley makes required pulling force half and pulling length double to lift up weight. The double-length relation holds here.

Likes Like Tony Stark
mitochan said:
Hi.
It's a kind of pulley which is usually set vertical but here sloped. Pulley makes required pulling force half and pulling length double to lift up weight. The double-length relation holds here.
Hi!
Oh, so that's because there are two pulleys??

And can you explain me why is that velocity with respect to ##A##?
Thanks

The pulley fixed to weight A plays a simple role of changing the direction of force. Another pulley, movable pulley plays the key role. Imagine if there were no movable pulley between, the weight B tied with rope coming from the fixed pulley would do more (double) displacement on the slope. Change of rope length after the fixed pulley is half consumed by the part between the movable pulley and joint of the rope and the slope.

The slope is fixed to A. The speed to the slope is the speed to A.

Last edited:
Likes Like Tony Stark
Like Tony Stark said:
Homework Statement: The picture shows a mass ##A## falling with velocity ##400 cm/s## and acceleration ##16 cm/s^2##.
The mass ##B## is connected to ##A## as depicted in the picture.
Homework Equations: ##V_{B/A}=V_B - V_A##

The thing is that my professor said that if the velocity of ##A## is ##400 cm/s##, the velocity of ##B## is ##200 cm/s## because "##B## is connected to two parts of the rope and ##A## is conected just to one part", and he also said that that ##200 cm/s## is the velocity of ##B## with respect to ##A##.
And I didn't understand any of them. Why is the velocity of ##B## half the velocity of ##A##? (I don't understand what the "two parts of the rope" have to do with the velocity)
And why is that velocity the velocity of ##B## with respect to ##A##?
Consider A moving down a distance y. The length of string above A increases by y. The total length of string is constant, so the length that goes from A's pulley around B's pulley and back to A reduces by y.
If the reduction in length from A's pulley to B's pulley is x, by how much is the bit that goes back up to A reduced?

Likes Like Tony Stark

1. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the tension in the rope?

The angle of the inclined plane does not affect the tension in the rope. The tension in the rope is solely determined by the weight of the body and the force of gravity.

2. What happens to the tension in the rope when the body is at rest on the inclined plane?

The tension in the rope will be equal to the weight of the body, as the force of gravity is balanced by the normal force of the inclined plane.

3. Is the tension in the rope greater when the body is moving up or down the inclined plane?

The tension in the rope will be greater when the body is moving up the inclined plane, as it is working against the force of gravity. When the body is moving down the inclined plane, the tension in the rope will be less as the force of gravity is aiding the movement.

4. How does the length of the rope affect the tension on the body?

The length of the rope will have no effect on the tension on the body. As long as the rope is taut and connected to both ends of the body, the tension will remain the same regardless of the length of the rope.

5. Can the tension in the rope cause the body to slip down the inclined plane?

No, the tension in the rope cannot cause the body to slip down the inclined plane. The force of friction between the body and the inclined plane is what prevents it from slipping, not the tension in the rope.