Bohr model and relativistic electron mass

In summary: However, the relativistic formula is more accurate, and includes the spin-orbit coupling.In summary, the results of this experiment are that the energy levels of the hydrogen atom from the Bohr model are the same as the energy levels from quantum mechanics.
Eric71
From the semi-classical Bohr model of the hydrogen atom the velocity of the electron in a certain orbit can be determined. With these velocities the electron's relativistic masses can be determined. With E=mc2 the energy levels are in agreement with those from the Bohr model. I know Bohr's model has flaws, but what does this result mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show the math?

From Bohr's model of the Hydrogen atom in the ground state

v = e2/(2εh) = 2.18x106 m/s

Using m=m0 / √(1-v2/c2)
and E=(m-m0)*c2 leads to E = 13.5 eV

Using Bohr's equations E = m*e4/(8ε2h2) also gives 13.5 eV

I tried to see what can be derived by substituting the first equation in the second by get stuck in the math.

The Bohr model of the atom is not so much wrong, as it is oversimplified and incomplete:

One other note: the relativistic correction to the mass of the electron due to its zipping around the nucleus will only be like 3 parts in 100,000, so you won't notice a difference if you calculate the energy to just the first decimal place.

What the Bohr model does:
Predicts the energy levels of the hydrogen atom to a first-order approximation (the coulomb potential, non-relativistic kinetic energy, and nothing else):

What the Bohr model does not include:
Relativistic corrections to the kinetic energy
Corrections due to the magnetic field created by the orbiting electron interacting with its own magnetic moment (Spin-orbit coupling)
Corrections due to the nucleus having a nonzero size (Darwin term)
Corrections due to the interactions of the electron's and proton's magnetic dipoles (spin-spin coupling).
among others...

Also, even without these corrections, the Bohr model doesn't predict what the electron cloud should look like for a hydrogen atom in a given state, or what the likelihood is for an atom to decay from an excited state to the ground state in a given time.

If you want a good model of the Hydrogen atom, you're going to want to solve the Schrodinger equation describing the electron-proton interaction. You'll get the same results as the Bohr model for the first-order approximation, but it's easier to get theoretical predictions that more closely agree with experimental results by including these extra terms.

Thanks jfizzix

jfizzix said:
One other note: the relativistic correction to the mass of the electron due to its zipping around the nucleus will only be like 3 parts in 100,000, so you won't notice a difference if you calculate the energy to just the first decimal place.

But that's what surprises me so much. The energy difference due to this relativistic effect of "only" 3 in 100,000 (to be more precise 2.66 in 100,000) is the same as the energy level of the electron from the Bohr model:

2.66/100000 * mc2 = 13.5 eV

In the limit of ##v_n<<c##, upon truncating up to the first order in ##v_n/c## with ##v_n## the rms velocity, we obtain for an electron's total energy
$$
mc^2 \approx m_0 \left( 1+\frac{v_n^2}{2c^2} \right) c^2
$$
thus
$$
E = (m-m_0)c^2 \approx \frac{m_0 v_n^2}{2} = \frac{m_0 e^4 Z^2}{8\epsilon_0^2 h^2 n^2}
$$
which is, apart from the sign, indeed exactly the same as the energy levels expression both given by Bohr model and QM. I would say this is one of those mathematical coincidence. An electron bound in an attractive potential should have total energy lower than its rest mass, but your calculation showed otherwise. Moreover, by assuming that a bound electron does orbit with a well defined velocity already violates the principle of uncertainty.

Likes Eric71
Thanks blue_leaf77. I think I understand now.
I simply calculated the kinetic energy since v<<c. I forgot to add the potential energy, which is twice the kinetic energy but negative, hence the sign error in my result.

It's not a coincidence. There is a general theorem (the virial theorem) which states that the magnitude of the KE is 1/2 of the magnitude of the PE (for forces following inverse square law). The total energy of the level will then be -KE.
As was already mentioned, the relativistic formula for KE is not necessary for this case, you could use the classic one.

Likes Eric71 and blue_leaf77

1. What is the Bohr model of the atom?

The Bohr model is a simplified representation of the atomic structure, proposed by Danish physicist Niels Bohr in 1913. It states that electrons orbit the nucleus in specific energy levels, and can jump between levels by absorbing or emitting energy.

2. How does the Bohr model explain the stability of atoms?

The Bohr model explains that electrons in an atom have specific energy levels, and can only exist in these levels. This means they cannot spiral into the nucleus and cause the atom to collapse. Additionally, the model proposes that atoms are most stable when their outermost electron energy level is full.

3. What is the significance of the relativistic electron mass in the Bohr model?

The relativistic electron mass refers to the increase in mass of an electron as it travels at high speeds, approaching the speed of light. This effect is taken into account in the Bohr model, as it affects the energy levels of electrons and their behavior within the atom.

4. How does the Bohr model differ from the modern quantum mechanical model?

The Bohr model is a simplified version of the atomic structure, while the modern quantum mechanical model takes into account the wave-like behavior of electrons. The Bohr model also does not account for the uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle simultaneously.

5. How has the Bohr model influenced our understanding of atomic structure?

The Bohr model was a significant contribution to our understanding of atomic structure, as it introduced the concept of energy levels and the idea that atoms are not static, but rather have dynamic behavior. It also laid the foundation for the development of quantum mechanics and our modern understanding of the atom.