Bohr Radius and Ground State Energy

In summary, the student attempted to solve a problem involving the ground state energy of an atom using the virial theorem, but did not understand how to do it and was still not closer to finding the Bohr radius.
davesface

Homework Statement

Given the potential energy [tex]V(r)=-\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\frac{e^2}{r}[/tex] (where e is the unit charge), use the uncertainty principle [tex]\Delta x \Delta p \geq \hbar[/tex] to find the Bohr radius [tex]r_B[/tex] for a hydrogen atom and the ground state energy [tex]E_0[/tex].

Hint: write down the kinetic energy in terms of [tex]r_B[/tex] using the uncertainty principle.

Homework Equations

-TISE: [tex]-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2u}{dr^2}+[V+\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{l(l+1)}{r^2}]u=Eu[/tex], where [tex]u(r)=r*R(r)[/tex] and R(r) is the radial component of the separable wave function [tex]\Psi[/tex].
-Alternatively, [tex]{V}_{eff} =V(r)+\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{l(l+1)}{r^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The hint is really what throws me off. Finding the ground state energy is done out entirely in the textbook, but there is nothing about the modified uncertainty relation or writing the kinetic energy in terms of the Bohr radius before finding it.

I tried doing that, so [tex]T=\frac{p^2}{2m}=\frac{\hbar^2}{2mx^2}[/tex] if we assume equality in the uncertainty relation. Then I plugged that into an equation for the defined quantity [tex]\kappa=\frac{\sqrt{-2mE}}{\hbar}=\frac{i}{x}[/tex]. Do I just plug in [tex]r_B[/tex] for x now? I just don't see at all how doing that, if it's even correct, is leading closer to finding [tex]r_B[/tex].

EDIT: As an added note, I tried reverse engineering the solution: [tex]r_B=\frac{4\pi \epsilon_0\hbar^2}{m_e e^2}=\frac{-\hbar^2}{m_e r V(r)}[/tex], but that didn't make the problem any clearer to me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, I'm not sure how you can find the Bohr radius without an additional piece of information. If you use the virial theorem, which says <T> = -<V>/2, you can then solve for a0.

Our book only mentions the special cases of the virial theorem for stationary states ,[tex]2<T>=<x\frac{dV}{dx}>[/tex], and stationary states of the harmonic oscillator, [tex]<T>=<V>[/tex].

Even if I use your version of it, though, I don't see how that helps.

For a potential of the form rn, the virial theorem reduces to what I said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virial_theorem

In your expression for T after you substituted with the uncertainty principle, set x to the Bohr radius. Similarly, in the potential, set r to the Bohr radius. Then solve for the Bohr radius.

Wow, that theorem made it a much easier problem to solve. Thanks very much.

Related to Bohr Radius and Ground State Energy

What is the Bohr Radius?

The Bohr Radius, denoted by a0, is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics that represents the distance between the nucleus and the electron in a hydrogen atom in its ground state.

How is the Bohr Radius calculated?

The Bohr Radius can be calculated using the formula a0 = ℏ2 / (me2ke2), where ℏ is the reduced Planck's constant, me is the mass of an electron, and ke is the Coulomb constant. This formula is derived from the Bohr model of the hydrogen atom.

What is the significance of the Bohr Radius?

The Bohr Radius is significant because it is the smallest possible distance between the nucleus and the electron in a hydrogen atom. It also sets the scale for the size of atoms and molecules in the universe.

What is the Ground State Energy?

The Ground State Energy is the lowest possible energy level that an electron can occupy in an atom. In the case of hydrogen, it is the energy level of the electron when it is in the lowest possible orbit around the nucleus, known as the ground state.

How is the Ground State Energy related to the Bohr Radius?

The Ground State Energy is directly proportional to the inverse square of the Bohr Radius. This means that as the Bohr Radius decreases, the Ground State Energy increases and vice versa. This relationship is important in understanding the stability and behavior of atoms.