Bohr's Correspondence Principle

In summary: The fact that Δf is convergent means that you can do what you did - split the series (which you did implicitly).
little neutrino

Homework Statement

(a) Show that in the Bohr model, the frequency of revo-lution of an electron in its circular orbit around a stationary hydrogen nucleus is f = me4/4ε02n3h3 (b) In classical physics, the frequency of revolution of the electron is equal to the frequency of the radiation that it emits. Show that when n is very large, the fre-quency of revolution does indeed equal the radiated frequency cal-culated from Eq. (39.5) for a transition from n1 = n + 1 to n2 = n.

Homework Equations

v = e2/2ε0nh
r = ε0n2h2/πme2

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to solve part (a). But for part (b), I'm not sure how to find the energy of the photon. I tried
E = -13.6eV (1/n2 - 1/(n+1)2) which I expanded to get
E = -13.6eV ((2n+1)/n2(n+1)2) but doesn't this tend to 0 as n approaches infinity? Since E = hf this implies that f tends to 0 as well? Does anybody know how to prove the relationship in part (b)? Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
little neutrino said:
but doesn't this tend to 0 as n approaches infinity?
That's the asymptotic value of ##\Delta E##, however the problem asks you to calculate the behavior of this quantity when ##n## is very large, therefore it must still contain ##n## in its expression. Consider incorporating the inequality ##n\gg 1## in the last equation.

Likes little neutrino
blue_leaf77 said:
That's the asymptotic value of ##\Delta E##, however the problem asks you to calculate the behavior of this quantity when ##n## is very large, therefore it must still contain ##n## in its expression. Consider incorporating the inequality ##n\gg 1## in the last equation.

Hmm, if n >> 1, then the numerator 2n + 1 = 2n and the denominator n2(n+1)2 = n4. After simplifying this, I get the answer. But I'm still a bit confused; if I directly substitute n+1 = n (since n>>1) for the initial expression 1/n2 - 1/(n+1)2, won't I just get 0? :/

little neutrino said:
Hmm, if n >> 1, then the numerator 2n + 1 = 2n and the denominator n2(n+1)2 = n4. After simplifying this, I get the answer. But I'm still a bit confused; if I directly substitute n+1 = n (since n>>1) for the initial expression 1/n2 - 1/(n+1)2, won't I just get 0? :/
The proper way to go about this problem is actually by employing Taylor expansion. The exact equation of ##\Delta E## can be rewritten as
$$
\Delta E = \frac{13.6}{n^2}\left(1-\frac{1}{(1+1/n)^2}\right)
$$
Now since ##n\gg 1##, the second term in the bracket can be expanded into power series (or more accurately, binomial series),
$$
(1+1/n)^{-2} = 1-\frac{2}{n}+\frac{3}{n^2}-\ldots
$$
Truncating this series up to the second term and substituting it into ##\Delta E## will give you the same answer.

Likes little neutrino
blue_leaf77 said:
The proper way to go about this problem is actually by employing Taylor expansion. The exact equation of ##\Delta E## can be rewritten as
$$
\Delta E = \frac{13.6}{n^2}\left(1-\frac{1}{(1+1/n)^2}\right)
$$
Now since ##n\gg 1##, the second term in the bracket can be expanded into power series (or more accurately, binomial series),
$$
(1+1/n)^{-2} = 1-\frac{2}{n}+\frac{3}{n^2}-\ldots
$$
Truncating this series up to the second term and substituting it into ##\Delta E## will give you the same answer.

Ohhh I see. Thanks so much! :)

I can't tell you anything about Eq. (39.5) as you didn't tell us what it is! But if it is just showing that you go to an inverse cubic relation for high n, then you have nearly done it in the OP - that expression does tend to inverse cube as n gets high (not needing anything so advanced is a Taylor series).

And for your question doesn't f tend to 0, well it's Δf not f - and tending to 0 is exactly what it does do and is seen in the spectra - the lines get closer and closer together. Σ Δf is convergent, so there is a definite limit (corresponding to the escape velocity in classical physics) and the higher spectral lines crowd towards this.

What is Bohr's Correspondence Principle?

Bohr's Correspondence Principle is a concept in quantum mechanics that states that as the energy level of an atomic system approaches infinity, the predictions of quantum mechanics should approach those of classical mechanics.

How did Bohr's Correspondence Principle come about?

Bohr's Correspondence Principle was proposed by Danish physicist Niels Bohr in 1920 as a way to reconcile the discrepancies between classical and quantum mechanics and to better understand the behavior of atoms.

What is the significance of Bohr's Correspondence Principle?

The Correspondence Principle allows for a smooth transition between the classical and quantum descriptions of a system, making it an important tool for understanding complex atomic phenomena and for the development of new theories in quantum mechanics.

What are the limitations of Bohr's Correspondence Principle?

While the Correspondence Principle has been successful in predicting many atomic behaviors, it does not fully explain the behavior of all atomic systems. It also does not fully reconcile the differences between classical and quantum mechanics, leaving some questions unanswered.

How is Bohr's Correspondence Principle applied in research?

Bohr's Correspondence Principle is widely used in quantum mechanics research, particularly in the study of atomic and molecular structures, as well as in the development of new theories and models in the field. It has also been influential in the development of other scientific disciplines, such as chemistry and solid state physics.