Boltzmann Distribution: Feynman's treatment of p-n junction

In summary, Feynman uses Boltzmann statistics to derive the diode characteristic equation for a p-n junction.
strauser
In Vol III, 14-4 and 14-5 of the Feynman Lectures (http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/III_14.html), Feynman gives a discussion of the p-n junction, in which he derives the diode characteristic equation via a nice, simple and convincing application of the Boltzmann distribution to the relative numbers of charge carriers on either side of a junction with a potential difference V.

I am however completely confused: do electrons/holes in a semi-conductor not obey Fermi-Dirac statistics? If so, why does he not mention or rely on this, and if so, how is his derivation valid?

I'll point out that I know not a great deal about solid state physics, or stat. mech., so the explanation may be utterly trivial.

Physics news on Phys.org
In a semiconductor, the conduction and valence bands are far from the Fermi level in units of kT. In this limit, Fermi-Dirac statistics are very closely equal to Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics:

Fermi-Dirac: [itex]N \propto \frac{1}{\exp(\frac{E-E_F}{kT})+1} [/itex]

But in this case [itex] \exp(\frac{E-E_F}{kT}) >> 1[/itex], so we can ignore the 1 in the denominator. It then reduces to Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics to a sufficient approximation.

Last edited:
Likes strauser
phyzguy said:
In a semiconductor, the conduction and valence bands are far from the Fermi level in units of kT. In this limit, Fermi-Dirac statistics are very closely equal to Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics:

Fermi-Dirac: [itex]N \propto \frac{1}{\exp(\frac{E-E_F}{kT})-1} [/itex]

OK, thanks, things are slightly clearer.

However, I'm not sure either what your ##N## or the expression on the RHS are. Is ##N## related to the density of states (i.e. what I'd call ##N(E)##), or is it the concentration of charge carriers? And the expression on the RHS looks suspiciously like the Fermi function, but that has a +1.

Could you clarify this a bit more, please?

But in this case [itex] \exp(\frac{E-E_F}{kT}) >> 1[/itex], so we can ignore the 1 in the denominator. It then reduces to Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics to a sufficient approximation.

Right. So is it correct to say that, to a very good approximation, electrons in the conduction band of a semiconductor obey Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics, which is Feynman's tacit starting point?

Right, the +1 vs -1 is my error. It is -1 for Bose-Einstein and +1 for Fermi-Dirac. I corrected my original post. In my post, N is the density of charge carriers.

strauser said:
So is it correct to say that, to a very good approximation, electrons in the conduction band of a semiconductor obey Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics, which is Feynman's tacit starting point?

Yes.

phyzguy said:
Right, the +1 vs -1 is my error. It is -1 for Bose-Einstein and +1 for Fermi-Dirac. I corrected my original post. In my post, N is the density of charge carriers.

OK, it's clear that this is trivial. Thanks. In fact, the only relevant text I have available (Streetman, Solid State Electronic Devices) does in fact treat this topic but without using the name Boltzmann anywhere - I skimmed the section in question without really noticing the result, which looks to be fairly important, I'd guess.

1. What is the Boltzmann Distribution?

The Boltzmann Distribution is a statistical model that describes the distribution of particle energies in a system at thermal equilibrium. It was developed by Austrian physicist Ludwig Boltzmann in the late 19th century.

2. How does the Boltzmann Distribution relate to Feynman's treatment of p-n junction?

In Feynman's treatment of p-n junction, the Boltzmann Distribution is used to describe the movement of charge carriers (electrons and holes) across the junction. This allows for a better understanding of the behavior of the junction and its electrical properties.

3. What factors affect the Boltzmann Distribution?

The Boltzmann Distribution is affected by temperature, energy levels of particles, and the number of particles in a system. It also takes into account the interactions between particles, such as collisions.

4. How is the Boltzmann Distribution calculated?

The Boltzmann Distribution is calculated using the Boltzmann equation, which takes into account the temperature, energy levels, and number of particles in a system. It also requires knowledge of the system's energy states and the probabilities of a particle occupying each state.

5. What are the practical applications of the Boltzmann Distribution?

The Boltzmann Distribution has a wide range of practical applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of gases, plasmas, and semiconductors. It is also used in thermodynamics, kinetic theory, and statistical mechanics.