Bombardment of Nitrogen-14 with an alpha particle

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of kinetic energy released from the reaction between alpha particles and nitrogen-14 nuclei, resulting in the formation of oxygen-17 and a proton. The correct q-value for the reaction was determined to be -1.192 MeV using more precise atomic mass values. A typo in the nitrogen-14 mass was also noted, leading to a calculation of 1.81 MeV for the shared kinetic energy.
agent5514
Question:
When alpha particles, having kinetic energy 3.0000 MeV bombard nitrogen-14 nuclei, oxygen-17 forms and the reaction releases a proton. Calculate the kinetic energy shared by the reaction products.
Nitrogen-14 = 14.000307 amu
Helium-4 = 4.00260 amu
Oxygen-17 = 16.99913 amu
Proton = 1.00727 amu
1 amu = 931 MeV

Attempt at question:
I cannot derive the textbook answer (1.65 MeV). I found the increase in mass to be 0.00073 amu which equals 0.67963 MeV. I subtract this from 3.0000 MeV, but I got instead 2.32037 MeV. Does anyone know how to obtain the textbook solution? Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
If you want to calculate the q-value of the reaction you must have a better precision in your atomic mass (see https://www-nds.iaea.org/amdc/ame2016/mass16.txt)
If you take this mass number you will have Q=-1.192 MeV. Q <0 because the reaction is endothermic (threshold reaction)
PSR

Likes agent5514
You should use the isotopic mass of 1H, otherwise you miss an electron (the other isotope masses are with electrons).

If I calculate it, the reaction is not even possible.

Edit: You have a typo in the nitrogen mass, there is one more zero than it should be.

I get 1.81 MeV.

Likes agent5514

1. What is the Bombardment of Nitrogen-14 with an alpha particle?

The Bombardment of Nitrogen-14 with an alpha particle is a nuclear reaction that involves firing an alpha particle (a helium nucleus) at a nitrogen-14 atom. This process results in the formation of an oxygen-17 atom and a proton.

2. Why is this reaction important in scientific research?

This reaction is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to study the properties and behavior of subatomic particles. It also helps in understanding the structure of the nucleus and the forces that hold it together.

3. What are the potential applications of this reaction?

Some potential applications of this reaction include the production of medical isotopes for use in diagnostic imaging and cancer treatment, as well as in nuclear power generation.

4. How is this reaction different from other nuclear reactions?

This reaction is different from other nuclear reactions because it involves the transfer of a relatively heavy alpha particle, rather than a smaller particle like a proton or neutron. This can result in different products and energy release.

5. Are there any safety concerns associated with this reaction?

Yes, there are safety concerns associated with this reaction as it involves the use of radioactive materials. Proper precautions and protocols must be followed to ensure the safety of those involved in the experiment and the surrounding environment.