Cosmology and Astrophysics through problems: Padmanabhan

In summary, the conversation is about a book on astrophysics that is designed to teach through a curated set of questions. The person is struggling with some of the questions and is unsure if they are using the book correctly. The author suggests using the book as a supplement to a more introductory textbook.
ergospherical
I’ve really been struggling with this book since I started it a couple of days ago. It’s essentially a problem book designed to teach you about astrophysics, structure formation, radiation, fluid dynamics, etc. through a curated set of questions.

Some of the questions take a ridiculously long time, and others I’d have no clue how to attempt without generous hand-holding from the (admittedly very well-written) solutions. This is more of an issue for the astrophysics-based sections than the more familiar GR-based sections.

Any thoughts? Am I using this book incorrectly? Presumably Padmanabhan’s other (conventional) textbook on structure formation would serve as an ideal companion, but I feel that’d sort of defeat the entire point of this book (which is to learn through direct exposure).

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect you are using it incorrectly.

The author makes it plain in the Preface that the book is intended to be a supplement to 'the conventional modes of learning' (p. xvi) and in the section entitled 'How to use this book' that 'If you know nothing about a subject, I am not certain whether this book - by itself - can help you to master it. In such a situation, it is best to use this book as a supplement to a more introductory conventional textbook.' (p. xxi).

Likes Demystifier and ergospherical

1. What is the main focus of "Cosmology and Astrophysics through problems: Padmanabhan"?

The main focus of "Cosmology and Astrophysics through problems: Padmanabhan" is to provide a comprehensive and problem-based approach to understanding cosmology and astrophysics. It covers various topics such as the origin and evolution of the universe, dark matter and dark energy, galaxies and clusters, and the formation of stars and planets.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in the field of cosmology and astrophysics?

Yes, "Cosmology and Astrophysics through problems: Padmanabhan" is suitable for beginners as it starts with basic concepts and gradually progresses to more advanced topics. It also includes numerous problems and exercises to help readers apply their knowledge and deepen their understanding.

3. How does this book differ from other textbooks on cosmology and astrophysics?

This book stands out from other textbooks as it takes a problem-based approach rather than a traditional theoretical approach. It presents real-world problems and challenges that scientists face in understanding the universe, making it a more practical and engaging read.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading this book?

A basic understanding of mathematics, physics, and astronomy is recommended for reading this book. However, the author provides a brief review of essential concepts in the first few chapters, making it accessible to a wide range of readers.

5. Can this book be used as a reference for research in cosmology and astrophysics?

Yes, this book can serve as a useful reference for researchers in the field of cosmology and astrophysics. It covers a wide range of topics and includes numerous problems and exercises that can help researchers deepen their understanding and apply their knowledge to their research.