Which book will suit the following course syllabus (introductory analysis)?

In summary, the undergraduate student is looking for books on real and functional analysis for a course called MATH 522, which is a sequel to 521. It is unclear from the course outline which topics will be covered in 522, but it seems that the real analysis and topology will be touched on. The official textbook for 522 is Rudin-PMA, but the student is doubtful that it will cover all the topics that they need for the course. The student recommends looking for books dedicated to 522, specifically ones that cover the contraction principle in complete metric spaces and its application to the Implicit Function Theorem in a normed space. Though Lang's books are not recommended for beginners, they may be easier to
bacte2013
Dear Physics Forum personnel,
I am a undergraduate student with math and CS major who is currently taking an introductory analysis course called MATH 521 (Rudin-PMA). On the next semester, I will be taking the course called MATH 522, which is a sequel to 521. My impression is that 522 will be an analysis on manifolds, so I have been browsing books like Spivak, Munkres, Hubbard/Hubbard, Fleming, etc. However, I learned today that the course outline of 522 is deviated from my initial impression of it being the multivariable-analysis course. According to the course outline (URL is below), it seems the topics touch more or less the real analysis and topology. The official textbook is Rudin-PMA, but I do not think that book covers many topics for the 522. Could you suggest me some books dedicated to 522?

URL: https://www.math.wisc.edu/sites/default/files/521-522_0_1.pdf (very last page)
URL: http://www.math.wisc.edu/~beichman/Syllabus522F14.pdf (slight deviation)
URL: https://www.math.wisc.edu/~seeger/522/syl.pdf (another deviated syllabus)

Should I get the books on real and functional analysis like Rudin-RCA, Stein/Sharkachi, Kolmogorov, Simmons, Lang-RFA?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
you already seem to have plenty of books. it appears you will likely need to study the contraction principle in complete metricm spaces, and its application to the implict function theorem in a normned space, and perhaps the existence theorem for ordinary differential equations. so i would suggest looking in your books for that topic. as i recall, neither spivak nor fleming use that approach to the inverse and implicit function theorems in their advanced calculus books, but lang does in his book Analysis I (1968), later published under a different title, as does spivak in his book on differential geometry, vol. 1, at least for the diff eq theorem.

the point is perhaps that one does not need the contraction lemma approach to the inverse function theorem in finite dimensions, but it is standard in infinite dimensional banach spaces.

mathwonk said:
you already seem to have plenty of books. it appears you will likely need to study the contraction principle in complete metricm spaces, and its application to the implict function theorem in a normned space, and perhaps the existence theorem for ordinary differential equations. so i would suggest looking in your books for that topic. as i recall, neither spivak nor fleming use that approach to the inverse and implicit function theorems in their advanced calculus books, but lang does in his book Analysis I (1968), later published under a different title, as does spivak in his book on differential geometry, vol. 1, at least for the diff eq theorem.

the point is perhaps that one does not need the contraction lemma approach to the inverse function theorem in finite dimensions, but it is standard in infinite dimensional banach spaces.

Do you mean Lang's Real and Functional Analysis or Undergraduate Analysis? For latter, I do not recall the treatment of normed space.

The book I named has been reissued as Undergraduate Analysis, with only a few changes. Differential calculus in normed banach spaces is treated there in chapters Vi, VII, VIII, and XVI, XVII, and XVIII. as you can see on amazon.

How about Loomis/Sternberg? I believe you mentioned that it also does the differentiation and integration on the Banach space. Honestly, I do not like Lang's books in general.

Forgive me, but I am beginning to feel you may be wasting time with these questions, mostly your own time. I suggest you need to get to reading and thinking and quit "dancing around the fire". Yes Loomis and Sternberg covers the contraction mapping approach, but that book is not really recommended for learning, and I suspect if you will look at them, you may find Lang's book easier to learn from. But you should be the judge. I can say however that Lang's many books differ from each other greatly in accessibility, and you cannot judge his undergraduate analysis by his graduate analysis or his differential manifolds, or his algebra book. I think I have said about all I have to say on this. good luck.

Last edited:

1. What criteria should I consider when choosing a book for an introductory analysis course?

When selecting a book for an introductory analysis course, it is important to consider the level of difficulty, the topics covered, the style of writing, and the supplementary materials provided.

2. How do I know if a book is suitable for a specific course syllabus?

You can determine if a book is suitable for a particular course syllabus by comparing the topics covered in the book with the topics outlined in the syllabus. Additionally, you can read reviews or consult with other instructors who have used the book for a similar course.

3. Is it better to choose a textbook or a collection of readings for an introductory analysis course?

This ultimately depends on your teaching style and the goals of the course. Textbooks typically provide a comprehensive overview of the subject matter, while collections of readings allow for a more diverse range of perspectives. Consider the needs and preferences of your students when making this decision.

4. Are there any specific books that are highly recommended for introductory analysis courses?

There are many excellent books that are suitable for introductory analysis courses. Some popular choices include "Introduction to Analysis" by Maxwell Rosenlicht, "Understanding Analysis" by Stephen Abbott, and "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Walter Rudin. However, the best book will vary depending on the individual needs and preferences of the instructor and students.

5. How important is it to use the recommended textbook for an introductory analysis course?

While it is helpful to use the recommended textbook for consistency and continuity, it is not essential. Ultimately, the most important factor is choosing a book that effectively covers the necessary topics and aligns with the goals of the course. If a different book meets these criteria, it can still be a suitable choice for the course.